996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Do you have a remanufactured engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008 | 08:45 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

man i love you guys

i'll have a summary for y'all later. threw a party at my place last nite and haven't started the clean-up of the mess that was made.

the nerd is tenacious like that chick in jurassic park
Old 05-05-2008 | 12:33 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Originally Posted by tooloud10
I really liked Ben's point with this thread, as I've always had questions regarding the reliability of the reman engines versus the original engines. Unless I missed it, it looks like nobody has stepped forward to say that their reman engine has failed, which very much reassures this reman owner that will be driving "naked" come December.

Again, good idea, Ben, and I thought you've restrained yourself pretty well in this thread. Too bad there's almost too much other bull**** to wade through to get to the good information at this point.
The chance of having a 2nd failure on a reman motor is extremely rare, but not impossible:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=23665
Old 05-05-2008 | 12:38 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by jury_ca
The chance of having a 2nd failure on a reman motor is extremely rare, but not impossible:

It's certainly less likely than you turning up spouting doom and gloom - but that's not saying much is it!
Old 05-05-2008 | 12:42 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

OK, let's count 'em. I'll start:

"1"

Old 05-05-2008 | 12:47 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

"1"

Ooooo you're soooo wicked!
Old 05-05-2008 | 12:49 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Originally Posted by cdodkin
It's certainly less likely than you turning up spouting doom and gloom - but that's not saying much is it!

"1"

Where do you guys get the idea that I'm spouting doom and gloom on reman motors? I'm with everyone else in hoping that any engine (reman or new) from Porsche will be ultra-reliable.

If you have an early M96 motor, I agree that getting an updated M96 motor (even if it was remanufactured) is likely a superior motor. My whole point has been that a remanufactured motor is not better than a new motor made with the same updates. You'd be lucky to get a new motor if Porsche happens to run out of inventory to replace with a reman.
Old 05-05-2008 | 12:51 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Where do you guys get the idea that I'm spouting doom and gloom on reman motors? I'm with everyone else in hoping that any engine (reman or new) from Porsche will be ultra-reliable.

If you have an early M96 motor, I agree that getting an updated M96 motor (even if it was remanufactured) is likely a superior motor. My whole point has been that a remanufactured motor is not better than a new motor made with the same updates. You'd be lucky to get a new motor if Porsche happens to run out of inventory to replace with a reman.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.............
Old 05-05-2008 | 12:51 AM
jury_ca
Pro

"1"

Ooooo you're soooo wicked!
This is really just a function of mathematical odds vs. being able to conclude that remans have a lower failure rate than new motors.
Old 05-05-2008 | 12:55 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...............................
Old 05-05-2008 | 01:11 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

My whole point has been that a remanufactured motor is not better than a new motor made with the same updates. .
WAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH you'd better go back and edit your posts playa cuz you a damn fool (charles barkley)
Old 05-05-2008 | 01:12 AM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

DANG!
jury_ca, STFU!!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2008 | 01:20 AM
salayc
Burning Brakes

This is really just a function of mathematical odds vs. being able to conclude that remans have a lower failure rate than new motors.
All right, I'm sucked in again.
Jury_ca, et al, you are arguing based upon assumptions and limited or no knowledge. Are replacement engines better than the original? maybe. Are new engines better than remanufactured? maybe. Are the failure rates the same with original vs. reman vs. new replacement? None of you know.
So, why are you arguing what none of you know?
The only facts that have been presented thus far are irrelevant. Even the majority of those who have had engine failure don't know why their engine failed. They may know what someone told them about their failure but considering the various agendas and misinformation can any of this be considered relevant?
Maybe you guys want some comfort about engine failure, maybe you believe Dewey defeated Truman.
Old 05-05-2008 | 01:29 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by salayc
All right, I'm sucked in again.
Jury_ca, et al, you are arguing based upon assumptions and limited or no knowledge. Are replacement engines better than the original? maybe. Are new engines better than remanufactured? maybe. Are the failure rates the same with original vs. reman vs. new replacement? None of you know.
So, why are you arguing what none of you know?
The only facts that have been presented thus far are irrelevant. Even the majority of those who have had engine failure don't know why their engine failed. They may know what someone told them about their failure but considering the various agendas and misinformation can any of this be considered relevant?
Maybe you guys want some comfort about engine failure, maybe you believe Dewey defeated Truman.
That's great and everything, please go explain your stats to othomasjr

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/428211-it-s-official-my-engine-is-blown.html
Old 05-05-2008 | 01:34 AM
hkmacca
Intermediate

hee hee this is better than the sopranos!!!!
Old 05-05-2008 | 01:36 AM
salayc
Burning Brakes

That's great and everything, please go explain your stats to othomasjr
t=428211[/url]
Which stats?
And, how does that relate?

Quick Reply: Do you have a remanufactured engine?