Old 05-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rss53
factory
none so far
Thank you.

I'm trying to recall if I've ever heard of a reman failing on this forum... I think I have, I may not have... not sure.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:56 PM
ls911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by htny
I think we should all stop looking at this thread
Sorry htny, can't look away. It's like a bad accident w/Jury in the driver seat.

The thread has a great topic and hope it is not ruined due to one mans display of stubborn ignorance.

Did not even bother opening his BS link.
Why? Could care less if he's a self proclaimed big shot (very predictable) or certified fork lift driver.

He just simply has to impress, needs to feel superior, always knows best.
If you don't buy into his BS he will argue on and on. Will not let it go due to his over inflated ego

Agree with him and acknowledge his studliness and he will go away happy camper

Otherwise he'll linger like a bad fart
Old 05-01-2008, 07:03 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
Thank you.

I'm trying to recall if I've ever heard of a reman failing on this forum... I think I have, I may not have... not sure.
i was searching for the same thing earlier out of curiosity, didn't find but wasn't too comprehensive
Old 05-01-2008, 07:06 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by htny
i was searching for the same thing earlier out of curiosity, didn't find but wasn't too comprehensive
Yes, remanufactured engines have been replaced - more common in the early days of the M96 on the Boxster.

remember, at that time, engines were being replaced because of RMS issues - when Porsche were recalling RMS plagued blocks in order to inspect them back at the factory.

So a 'failed' remanufactured engine from that era, may not be a true 'failure' - just a recall to factory.

There are many variables here - including the approach the Porsche has to the various issues that they have encountered with the M96 during production.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cdodkin
So the additional failure data I have is:

-Engine size - 2.5 (Boxster '98)
-What mileage/date was it replaced? (22k miles/2006)
-How many miles on the remanufactured engine? (12k To date)
-Covered by factory warranty or sourced on your dime? (Out of Warranty - Porsche covered engine but not installation - NDA signed by owner at insistence of Porsche)
-Any problems? (None)

-Engine size - 2.5 (Boxster '01)
-What mileage/date was it replaced? (18k miles/2003)
-How many miles on the remanufactured engine? (Not known - car sold immediately after engine replaced)
-Covered by factory warranty or sourced on your dime? (Warranty)
-Any problems? (None)
FYI,
2001 model base Boxster had a 2.7L.
The 2.5L was last used in the '99 model year.
FWIW, I had a 2.5L engine failure in my '98 Boxster, and it was replaced out of warranty gratis by Porsche.
The reman engine felt quite a bit tighter, smoother, and stronger than the original.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:12 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kevin H. in Atl..
FYI,
2001 model base Boxster had a 2.7L.
The 2.5L was last used in the '99 model year.
FWIW, I had a 2.5L engine failure in my '98 Boxster, and it was replaced out of warranty gratis by Porsche.
The reman engine felt quite a bit tighter, smoother, and stronger than the original.
My bad, 2.7 for the 01
Old 05-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Am I poking? Perhaps. Tippy, you are one of the more knowledgable guys around because you are an engineer by trade and have worked on your cars with success. I respect your opinions.
I don't care if you were probing, I was just adding drama with the "sit back, watch how this will unfold tub of popcorn".......hahaha. I am not an Engineer, I work with and around them daily. I have been told large amounts of Engineering theories and tests over the years though.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ones that failed porous block-tests would be sleeved, making them potentially a better quality product than a straight production block.
IIRC, Porsche only did this on some early Boxster motors. They have never sleeved 996 motors to the best of my knowledge.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray S
Paging Dell.........Paging Professor Dell,

Please explain to everyone why this data will be meaningless....
Quote from post number eight.......

This thread is worse than meaningless (what I anticipated) as it is now filled with pure speculation and outright false info. It represents the worst possible type of "data" (data which is pulled from a biased population in a non-random fashion).

My only hope is that it will die soon.

Last edited by Ray S; 05-02-2008 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:45 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

IIRC, Porsche only did this on some early Boxster motors. They have never sleeved 996 motors to the best of my knowledge.
And this directly contributed to the perception that the remanufactured blocks were 'better' than factory standard - because in this respect they were an improvement.

Remember, all of this happened in the Boxster domain first, due to the timeline for delivery of new models to market - so much of the M96 mythology was developed in the Boxster forums at that time.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

And this directly contributed to the perception that the remanufactured blocks were 'better' than factory standard - because in this respect they were an improvement.
Actually, the re-sleeved Boxster motors were a disaster for Porsche. They were much worse than the original motors (O.E. 986/996/987/997 motors do not have sleeves) as the sleeves failed at the top, then floated loose in the cylinders until the motors ultimately failed.

They were certainly no "improvement" and Porsche discontinued the process after they became aware of the problems.

The only "re-sleeved" motor I would even consider putting in my car is an "autofarm" motor.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:15 PM
joey c
Pro

wow
Old 05-02-2008, 12:52 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To address your points above:

You clearly know ****-all about the remanufactured engines from Porsche.

You refer to them as being 'old clunkers' and 'old engines' - suggesting that they are in some way recycled engines from old cars.

In fact these engines are ones that failed QC at the factory - are then torn down by hand, and rebuilt (in factory) before being re-tested and passed by QC. They are brand-new engines in every way.

So by definition, they have undergone more testing than a standard production line engine, having been through the QC loop twice.

Ones that failed porous block-tests would be sleeved, making them potentially a better quality product than a straight production block.

You say you'd insist on a 'new engine' - you can insist all you like but Porsche can use what ever engine replacement they see fit, that meets their specs - You have absolutely no say in the matter, read the small print - As it is, it's a 'new' engine that's been through the in-factory QC process as above.

Seeing as you've never been through this engine replacement process, I'll put you complete ignorance down to lack of experience, rather than just being a complete ***.

Next time, ask someone who's been through the loop (a few times) before spouting-off cr@p and trying to pass it off as fact.
While _SOME_ remanufactured engines are indeed new engines that have failed first-pass QC, the VAST MAJORITY of remanufactured engines come from cars that have been on the road racking up miles. If those engines fail, and the cores are reusable, they are sent back to Porsche's remanufacturing center, checked-in (data downloaded as to engine-hrs, build-date, failure root-cause, etc) then they get torn down and rebuilt. After being rebuilt, they are kept in a first-in-first-out inventory sequence before they are put into cars like Ben's.

Based on your points above, they would not be able to remanufacture anymore M96 engines because new production for them has ended.

If you do not believe me, you can call a large dealer like Sunset Porsche and ask them if they send back engine cores to get rebuilt.

I would also advise you to use a more civil tone of conversation because you do look rather foolish when you call me out as "ignorant and foolish" while standing around with egg on your face.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:10 AM
ls911
Pro

Post number eight.......

This thread is worse than meaningless (what I anticipated) as it is now filled with pure speculation and outright false info. It represents the worst possible type of "data" (data which is pulled from a biased population in a non-random fashion).

My only hope is that it will die soon.
Worst than meaningless? I feel it had at the very least entertainment value.

I don't believe it was ever meant for anything useful for any kind of study, statistics, or etc...

I thought of it more as interesting to see how many 3.4l vs. 3.6l would post up Also some of the experiences shared w/reman motors including possibly someone having had a bad experience with one willing to post.

By no means it would or could prove anything
Old 05-02-2008, 01:15 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by jury_ca
While _SOME_ remanufactured engines are indeed new engines that have failed first-pass QC, the VAST MAJORITY of remanufactured engines come from cars that have been on the road racking up miles. If those engines fail, and the cores are reusable, they are sent back to Porsche's remanufacturing center, checked-in (data downloaded as to engine-hrs, build-date, failure root-cause, etc) then they get torn down and rebuilt. After being rebuilt, they are kept in a first-in-first-out inventory sequence before they are put into cars like Ben's.

Based on your points above, they would not be able to remanufacture anymore M96 engines because new production for them has ended.

If you do not believe me, you can call a large dealer like Sunset Porsche and ask them if they send back engine cores to get rebuilt.

I would also advise you to use a more civil tone of conversation because you do look rather foolish when you call me out as "ignorant and foolish" while standing around with egg on your face.
I have yet to see a remanufactured engine which wasn't a factory QC reject, i.e. an engine that never left the factory, but was remanufactured after it failed QC.

Porsche have a large US stock of engines ready for replacement - they have a huge warehouse full of them near Ontario CA, so manufacturing plays no part in their continued availability.

As with all manufacturers, they have crunched the numbers, and worked out how many 'spares' they will need to have in stock once production ceases on a line.

Dealerships have been sending engines back to Porsche for tear down and diagnosis, that's how they reached a conclusion on the RMS issue i.e. non critical feature rather than terminal fault.

As for the tone, I was merely responding in a tone to match your own - in the hope that you'd be able to 'get it'.

I'm normally a pretty tolerant fellow - but you come across as a complete troll and a waste of bandwidth.

And you've got zero actual experience to back up your 'facts' - try fighting Porsche for a few engines, post failure, and you'll have a very different perspective, AND have done a lot more research into the issue before you spout-off online.

Quick Reply: Do you have a remanufactured engine?