Sponsored by:

I found out where my coolant went.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 09:59 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Barn996
Would it make sense to have your oil analized to verify that it contains coolant, before you conclude engine failure? Lots of helpful advice on this board. None of us want another engine failure post since we all share Porsche ownership. Hope it turns out to be something else. GL.
Oh, yeah? Where were all your checkbooks when MY engine went south and had to be replaced?
Old 04-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ooooops!!!!
Old 04-26-2008, 10:47 AM
othomasjr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I told a friend of mine about my dilemma. He asked why not just replace the head gasket or head, depending on which one broke. Why is that not possible?? Just curious why the motor has to be replaced. It seems that if it's a rebuilt motor, then someone should be able to "rebuild" the head or gasket by replacing with a new one.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by othomasjr
How about putting some coolant in it and driving the hell out of it??
Not really, but that's what I feel like doing.
That is what I would do if in fact it was toast.

Sorry for your possible loss, I can't view the pics at work to see what you describe.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:48 AM
ls911
Pro

Originally Posted by Tippy
That is what I would do if in fact it was toast.

Sorry for your possible loss, I can't view the pics at work to see what you describe.
I'm just happy you didn't pull the air cooled card, thanks
Old 04-26-2008, 11:56 AM
turbochad
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

All of this engine failure talk makes me nervous. My car doesn't have 10k miles on it yet, but I do exercise it regularly.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:30 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by othomasjr
I told a friend of mine about my dilemma. He asked why not just replace the head gasket or head, depending on which one broke. Why is that not possible?? Just curious why the motor has to be replaced. It seems that if it's a rebuilt motor, then someone should be able to "rebuild" the head or gasket by replacing with a new one.
That's been discussed quite a bit over the years. It is apparently cheaper (and easier) to buy a remanufactured engine from Porsche. AutoFarm in the UK rebuilds 996 engines but I don't think parts are available in the US for a DIY.

Does anyone know if this is the case?
Old 04-26-2008, 01:18 PM
springgeyser
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redridge
One way to check is to drain your oil and drop the oil pan... if its not like your fill tube... then you might be fine.
+1

Do an oil change. Flushed the oil into a clear container. Oil/water don't mix so it will separate once it settles. Top of the coolant.

Hopefully you just prematurely came to an conclusion it is a blown engine.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As a casual observer, it sure appears that the cars that live the lives of garage-queens (those that come out on weekends and have less than 10k on their tickers) are the cars that are having most of the problems. Am I dreaming this? Anyone else see this trend?

C.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:25 PM
ls911
Pro

Originally Posted by Chads996
As a casual observer, it sure appears that the cars that live the lives of garage-queens (those that come out on weekends and have less than 10k on their tickers) are the cars that are having most of the problems. Am I dreaming this? Anyone else see this trend?

C.

He has a 2000 w/60K miles.

I have read and know of many that never got a chance to be a garage queens before the engine let go during a period wee the miles were low giving an impressions of yet another low mileage 996 goes down.

The more you drive them the better, no argument on that w/any car

Hard not to reach for something in the quest for solutions. It would be great to be able to come up with a list of don’ts and eliminate your risk, problem solved.
No such thing
It starts with a good purchase followed by good driving/good maintenance. Then you hope for the best.
To worry takes away from the enjoyment w/nothing good to gain, easier said than done
Old 04-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We need better pics. 1st pic looks bad but the 2nd looks fine, but it is hard to tell. There is no doubt when I have had coolant in the oil of other cars, it was a light brown or tan color. I personally would run the car for at least 30 minutes to an hour (hard and high RPM) and see if all that condensation burns off the oil filler tube. If it does it is fine.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:28 PM
wxseed
Instructor

This post is getting funny, the guy hasn't even bothered to properly analize the problem, and he won't listen to anyones advice .. very odd if you ask me ....
Old 04-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

The picture of the oil filler tube looks like many do after a winter season without extended driving periods. Water vapor, condensation, etc. gets in the oil and never gets totally evaporated off. You need to drive a car for an extended period, 30 minutes or more at full temp to "burn off" the water. Both my car and my business partners car had similar looking "sludge" when we changed the oil this week, but the engines were fine.

Now the fact that the oil level went up is somewhat suspect. It will be interesting to see what happens. Also, take a look at the coolant in the tank to see it is contaminated.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:59 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Given the loss of coolant, the rise in oil level, and the choc looking gunk, it's an intermix failure.

Then you look at the MY of the block, and you have the design/QC issues from that era that have been seen, again and again, to give a higher than acceptable rate of exactly this sort of failure.

It's nothing to do with how it was driven - it's a design and factory QC issue on the M96 from that era.

Do the research and go after Porsche if you have the stomach for a fight - people have been given new engines out of warranty, given that they present their case well, and are informed as to the 'know issues'.

Other than that, you're looking at a new motor - if this diagnosis plays out.

There is no way I'd put my $$$ behind a pre 3.6 motor - just too much risk.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:01 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996

C.
Garage queens and RMS failure - good case

Garage queens and intermix - no case what so ever, it's a design/factory QC issue pure and simple. You bought a time bomb and it eventually went off.

Quick Reply: I found out where my coolant went.