996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I found out where my coolant went.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 11:06 PM
othomasjr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wxseed, you sound like an idiot to me. You're gonna come on here as a User and post that crap when I am in the throws of "possible" engine failure?? I just found out about this thing around 48 hours ago. How in the hell am I going to "not take someone's advice" in that time. I'm still trying to digest all of this info. Hell, I haven't even had a chance to get an appointment with my P dealer yet. All I can do is let them diagnose it for me. I'm not a mechanic and I don't change my own oil, so I don't plan to attempt to do what I expect my dealer to do for me.
The main reason for the thread is because this is a very common problem and the people who reside here know more than anyone else about this problem. I was in search for as much consoling as I was info.
Let's just see how you feel and how your posts go when your engine blows up. Karma has a way of catching up with you, so you should be very careful of how you pass judgement on others you've never even met.
It's funny, a guys engine blew back on 3-15-08 and I posted how nervous it made me feel because my car was the same year and same miles. A month and a half later I am possibly facing the same. Who knows, maybe next month it will be yours!!
Old 04-26-2008, 11:33 PM
wxseed
Instructor

fair enough .. but i didn't pass judgement, ( but obviously you did on me calling me an idiot) i just said it's odd that you are expecting the worst when it could be something very simple. and at no point did you respond to anyone " hey that's a good idea i think I'll try it"

good luck mate, looks like karma just bit you ...
Old 04-26-2008, 11:44 PM
othomasjr
Racer

I just call them as I see them dude. I won't lose any sleep over it.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:37 AM
ls911
Pro

During ththis last winter I stopped by the local (and only) dealer in my area.
I was chatting with one of the employees that seemed well versed in RMS, IMS, etc...
He let me know that he has only known of on local 996 engine failure.
The local dealership and owner worked together with Porsche making a case for a new engine, the car was out of warranty.
He told me that Porsche decline the free replacement but did agree to pay about 60% of the replacement cost (can't remember the exact number)
This guy was letting me know that Porsche works on a case by case basis and one never knows how it will go.
It is worth putting out a the effort towards assistance

Please keep us posted as you get further along this thing...

GL
Old 04-27-2008, 04:49 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For all the people that speculate it is the garage-queened cars that have these problems, let me add another possibility into the mix.

Assuming these engine failures are caused by manufacturing defects in a small % of cars, we'd expect the problem to display itself as premature engine failure. Let's say the mean failure rate for defective cars is 10K engine-hrs, by logical extension the garage queened cars would take a longer period of time to hit 10K hrs than the cars that are frequently driven. While the average mileage 911 would see the failure in the first year of ownership, the garage queened cars may see it in the 4th or 5th year of ownership. Thus, one cannot conclude that low-mileage cars have a higher rate of failures.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:09 AM
ls911
Pro

Originally Posted by jury_ca
For all the people that speculate it is the garage-queened cars that have these problems, let me add another possibility into the mix.

Assuming these engine failures are caused by manufacturing defects in a small % of cars, we'd expect the problem to display itself as premature engine failure. Let's say the mean failure rate for defective cars is 10K engine-hrs, by logical extension the garage queened cars would take a longer period of time to hit 10K hrs than the cars that are frequently driven. While the average mileage 911 would see the failure in the first year of ownership, the garage queened cars may see it in the 4th or 5th year of ownership. Thus, one cannot conclude that low-mileage cars have a higher rate of failures.

I believe this to be 100% correct.

No need to assume the root cause of engine failures is due to manufacturing short comings.
It is just that.

All garage queen cars, not just P-cars, have higher risks of other well know issues, engine failures not being one of them.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:51 AM
othomasjr
Racer

Thanks Is911. I am making an appt. monday morning with Porsche and will try to be as nice as possible. I will hope upon hopes that they will assist me in some way. The service dept I deal with is exceptional and the prices they charge are more reasonable than most. I will update as soon as I know the problem/prognosis.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:15 PM
etwd
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

disregard
Old 05-23-2008, 10:08 PM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Any updates on this one?
Old 05-24-2008, 08:05 AM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

He posted in another thread that he is buying a new engine...
Old 05-24-2008, 09:51 AM
othomasjr
Racer

New motor.......2 year warranty. $12,777.00 out the door
Old 05-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I'm curious. Did you ask if you could have put an X50 engine, or any other upgrade in, and how much?

Glad you decided to keep the car, BTW. Sorry about your earlier experience, but I am sure you will eventually be glad you kept the car.

Quick Reply: I found out where my coolant went.