996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I found out where my coolant went.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 10:31 PM
othomasjr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately I'm not the type to tolerate being burned. I guess I am somewhat like UFO was, but without the anger and hostility. Once burned, I don't go back for more. I just cut my losses and drive on. So, I guess that means in reality that I will never purchase a Porsche again, warranty or no warranty. There is no way I could/would pay for a new engine and then drive this car with anything other than disdain for it. I'm really more disappointed about this than angry, but will never put myself in the same position again.
Of course, I knew this engine failure thing going into it, but I just had to have a 911 in my lifetime and pulled the trigger. This will be my last Porsche for sure.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:43 PM
othomasjr
Racer

Sorry for the poor photo. My new camera has decided not to work as wella dn I am using my ancient one.

Okay, I checked it out and it's kinda hard to tell. The oil seems to have the appearance of chocolate milk and it seems diluted as it runs off the dipstick very easily. Those 2 things make me think it's mixed with coolant.
But, the photo below shows the color and that seems more like just oil.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't blame u.

trying to determine reasons why is PURE speculation and gets us no where.

sorry bud but honestly think it thru. a reman engine is rock solid and a person looks over its assembly carefully with new parts.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:59 PM
othomasjr
Racer

What exactly comes with a new engine?? I need a starter as I speak and have a new one in the box in my garage. What about RMS and clutch? If that's not part of, I'm sure that would fail on me after the new engine is installed.
By the way, thanks for everyone's comments. I troll this board a lot and always enjoy the good and the bad reading. The main thing I enjoy is the intelligence about these cars. I appreciate all the input!
Old 04-25-2008, 11:03 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

You might make more money if you drop a new engine and then sell it.... who knows maybe at that point you might want to keep it for a bit and then sell it.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:04 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unfortunately this isn't anything new, but fortunately for those of us that do go thru an engine replacement scenario, it's been done before so you have some ground to rest your weary head on (bring a pillow).

i'm sure others can lend more detailed advice, but i know that if you buy a replacement engine from porsche, it'll have the latest updates which i believe the last update to the M96 was in 2005. you'll have the new IMS/RMS parts and the best part i think really is the level of attn these reman engines get since what i've come to learn is that each of these reman engines can be traced back to a single assembler porsche dude.

it's absolutely rare to hear of reman engines failing. 3.4 or 3.6. you have the peace of mind knowing you've got a great new engine (i have a reman engine in my car w/ 34K miles no issues to date) and continue to drive the 911 for all its worth which is quite a lot in fun points. you may even build some pride of ownership!

again, just try to clear your head and though it is certainly a sh!tty situation no one woudl wish upon any other person here, it's not the end of your porsche world. give it some thought.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this car typically used for short trips or is it fully warmed up at the end of every drive?
Old 04-25-2008, 11:08 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a blurry photo so it's hard to say. It looks like it could just be oil. When did you last change it? When was the last time you checked the level and how did that compare to now?
Old 04-25-2008, 11:11 PM
othomasjr
Racer

Well, I've only driven it for 700-800 miles. 200 of those miles were bringing it home after I bought it. I haven't driven it long distances at a time, but the motor is always up to full temp. even on my shortest drives. Then sometimes I would take it out for a while for a longer, spirited drive. I have been very easy on it though. The question is about it's previous life I guess. I do know that it was serviced perfectly....even down to the airbag service.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:13 PM
othomasjr
Racer

It was changed in the last several hundred miles. It also looks like someone added several quarts of oil to the car. The oil level comes all the way up to the very top of the uppermost little red piece on the dipstick. I think the motor's blown.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:14 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

did you get a ppi, before buying?
Old 04-25-2008, 11:18 PM
othomasjr
Racer

Hahaha...I wondered when that question was going to surface. No, I didn't. The car was in great shape when I bought it and had all stamps in the service book. Plus, it was a 1 owner car. I took a chance I guess.
BUT, I had the 60,000 mile service done after I bought it and a Porsche dealer checked it thoroughly. That came back with flying colors and the only thing needed was front brake pads.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:20 PM
othomasjr
Racer

From what I've seen, PPI's don't really mean that much (unless there are already tell-tale signs of engine failure, which mine didn't have) as no one can predict when these engines will let go.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:23 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Christ...not another one. Sheesh...unreal.

C.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

It doesn't look good. Oil with coolant mixed will feel sticky instead of slick when rubbed between your forefinger and thumb. Alas, these problems are not the exclusive domain of Porsche. Witness the milkshake that results when the oil cooler (buried in the valley under the plenum) springs a leak in a 3.0L V6 GM engine:
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: I found out where my coolant went.