996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PS2 or RE050-A ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 08:30 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I noticed the PS2 is way lighter then the AD07's.
With the weight differences it seem like it a choice between less unsprung weight vs grip. If I had a TT the choice would be to go for grip but having a low hp car, is it better to go with the heavier grippier tire or the one that weights less?

For the same weight as the AD07's I could go with 235 front and 315 rear with PS2, are these just too much for a low hp car?

For Tirerack - How come PS2 doesn't show up on the list of choices for a 996 C4S, the sizes match up but only PS and PS Rib show up?

Last edited by jumper5836; 04-05-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I noticed the PS2 is way lighter then the AD07's.
With the weight differences it seem like it a choice between less unsprung weight vs grip. If I had a TT the choice would be to go for grip but having a low hp car, is it better to go with the heavier grippier tire or the one that weights less?

For the same weight as the AD07's I could go with 235 front and 315 rear with PS2, are these just too much for a low hp car?

For Tirerack - How come PS2 doesn't show up on the list of choices for a 996 C4S, the sizes match up but only PS and PS Rib show up?
sure unsprung weight blah blah blah hairsplitsville... grip advantage will far outweigh any weight advantage between the ps2s and ad07s.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:12 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

Originally Posted by Lerxst
Looking for clarification Mooty...

When you say the Advans "sucked", that's relative to the competition tires you listed, or other street tires on the track?
very low grip as far as i am concerned.
short life, hardens fast, heat cycled to death on my 2000 lbs lotus in 2 track days.
very noisy
very expensive

for ME, i like PS2, RA1, R888 on street
on track RA1, R888, hoosiers
Old 04-06-2008, 03:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting

Mooty, where do you get your Toyo's? Hope it's somewhere with a good discount.
AIM: american international tires (inside sears point)
Old 04-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thx for everybody's opinions here....

I currently run S02-A and like that tire... they are coming to the end of their life and am looking for a better tire... looks like TOYO RA-1 or 888 will be my next tire.... I plan to do at least 10-15 DE's this summer so I need something for track and street...
Old 04-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by c70Pete
Thx for everybody's opinions here....

I currently run S02-A and like that tire... they are coming to the end of their life and am looking for a better tire... looks like TOYO RA-1 or 888 will be my next tire.... I plan to do at least 10-15 DE's this summer so I need something for track and street...
Just to remind you one thing about the Toyo R888. They are directional. When one side wears out faster than the other, as often happens since we run clockwise on the track, you'd have to remount the tires on the wheels to switch left to right if you want to maintain their directional aspect. Non-directional, or asymmetric tires, can easily be switched without re-mounting. It can be an issue on longevity if you do 10 to 15 DE's plus street this summer. Just a friendly reminder .
Old 04-07-2008, 08:09 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
so how did you come to this conclusion that the ps2 is a "much faster tire" as compared to the pole positions?
using a G2X data logger on the same track with the same setup in similar weather in the same car. my lap times were faster with the PS2. additionally, the logger showed higher lateral and longitudinal levels of grip in every single corner. the PS2 is a faster tire.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:24 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

-Anyone that i know who's been tracking their cars and enjoy this hobby rarely run streets tires on the track because it simply does not perform up to their fun factor needs
it's just as fun to drive a car on street tires at the track as it is to run race tires. the only reason you really need race tires is if you need to be fast. no one NEEDS to be fast during a DE or a casual track day, it's only important that you are getting faster compared to yourself. you only NEED to be fast in a race.l some egos NEED to be fast during DE's or casual track days; it's fun to be quick. to say that someone isn't serious about the sport because he / she doesn't run race tires is ridiculous. it's not a fun factor issue, it's a bragging rights issue.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:59 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by insite
it's just as fun to drive a car on street tires at the track as it is to run race tires. the only reason you really need race tires is if you need to be fast. no one NEEDS to be fast during a DE or a casual track day, it's only important that you are getting faster compared to yourself. you only NEED to be fast in a race.l some egos NEED to be fast during DE's or casual track days; it's fun to be quick. to say that someone isn't serious about the sport because he / she doesn't run race tires is ridiculous. it's not a fun factor issue, it's a bragging rights issue.
Agreed. Fantastically stated.

By the way Ben, using the data that Luke provided from their track comparing Michelins and the Bridgies, 0.7 seconds in the wet per lap is a pretty big difference. In a 50 lap race, you'd be waiting about 35 seconds for the Bridgestones to come in after the Michelins. But again, I hear what you're saying, particularly in light of what's quoted above. The key is to just be fast relative to yourself unless you're really racing.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by insite
since when were toyos considered "race" tires? guys run them on the street all the time.

but i agree to about your point to a large extent. and i think a lot of dudes want to be FAST.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by nycebo
Agreed. Fantastically stated.

By the way Ben, using the data that Luke provided from their track comparing Michelins and the Bridgies, 0.7 seconds in the wet per lap is a pretty big difference. In a 50 lap race, you'd be waiting about 35 seconds for the Bridgestones to come in after the Michelins. But again, I hear what you're saying, particularly in light of what's quoted above. The key is to just be fast relative to yourself unless you're really racing.
yea luke brought some data to the table which i can't refute with data points from my end so i appreciated that. as i had thought, the goodyear Eagle F1 asymms offer superior performance in the dry and wet... but i checked the sizes and it's even more limited than the pole positions.

if i'm at the track with buddies, though, i'd be lying to myself if i didnt' want to be faster than them.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:15 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

yea luke brought some data to the table which i can't refute with data points from my end so i appreciated that. as i had thought, the goodyear Eagle F1 asymms offer superior performance in the dry and wet... but i checked the sizes and it's even more limited than the pole positions.
That's because you ride some big boys in back, BC. Actually, I was pretty excited to see that they finally have the F1s for my 285s in back. I will definitely be moving that direction once my PZeros are worn.

UPDATE: It's not the F1 asyms, it's the directions GS-D3. Well, might still try them. Pretty good tread pattern.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:17 AM
ncp
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Mooty, pm sent.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:00 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

since when were toyos considered "race" tires? guys run them on the street all the time.
the compound used in the RA-1 / R-888 / NT-01 is a race compound; there is no denying that. some people DO run them on the street. this isn't logical year-round as they will crack in cold temperatures. see here: http://marktg.toyotires.com/file/TireStorage.pdf

i will agree that the compound is not quite the same as say a hoosier; the toyos aren't as sticky and won't heat cycle out as quickly. you will see LOTS of guys using the RA-1 as a rain tire in a race; it's a budget race tire that you can (sort of) use on the street.

but i agree to about your point to a large extent. and i think a lot of dudes want to be FAST.
very true. it takes a humble man to push equipment aside and just race himself for awhile. the temptation is always there to just spend some $$$ on the car and be faster than the next guy. i submit that usually, a driver will gain more speed spending that $$$ on track time instead.

Quick Reply: PS2 or RE050-A ??