Sponsored by:

PS2 or RE050-A ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by insite
i've tested both on the track; the PS2 is a much faster tire. if you're only driving on the street, save your $$$ and go for the RE050A; it's a great tire and quite a bit cheaper than the PS2. they also last longer than their treadwear rating would indicate.
Why are you comparing the PS2s to the regular RE050As? What's comparable, again, is the RE050APPs, not the RE050As.

RE050APPs, by my experience, is about $50 cheaper per tire.

And, again, if you're tracking on these street tires, it shows people that, well, you're not going that fast.

Last edited by Benjamin Choi; 04-04-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:16 AM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,006 Likes on 417 Posts

Ben, I was already referring to the Pole Position. I thought it was assumed that we were talking about the Pole Position, and not the standard RE050As.

I only bring this up because the RE050A (not pole position) is not even offered in any tire sizes I've considered, only the PP. So I never refer to the non-pole position model. But clarification for others never hurts I suppose.

But if you're looking for confirmation, yes, the PP is the only one in the equation.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

so how did you come to this conclusion that the ps2 is a "much faster tire" as compared to the pole positions?
Old 04-04-2008, 12:00 PM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,006 Likes on 417 Posts

I assume you're asking "insite" this question, not me, right? I'm running ADVAN A048s on the track.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:02 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

guess that is why the are many tire makers. Folks have a preference for many reasons. PS2 is a great all around tire for a Porsche. I found that the PP goes away quicker than the PS2 back when I had my C2. On the GT3 I have only run PS2 for street and wet track or if I had a 3 hour drive to the track. If I am local and dry I use Hoosiers. Since tires are disposable, pick one use them up and if you feel the need try the other. By the way, if you learn how to drive you can be very fast with streets.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by c70Pete
Which is the better tire for DE events? I know they are both streetable but I"m looking for max dry performance at the track...

don't know whether I"ll go 17" or 18" ...
PS2 is a great tire for the street, sucks big time on the track. Sidewall is too soft, tire rolls on to the edges easily even with the high OEM pressures. I corded the edges down while the tread itself remained full. And this was with -2.5 negative camber. If you only plan on a weeked or two DE per year, you're probably OK with the PS2.

Have no experience with RE050APP.

I have two sets of wheels. Dedicated track wheels get the MPSC's, street/track wheels get the P-Zero Assymetricos. I use the street wheels on track when the track is several hours away or when the MPSC's are worn to the point where I'm not sure they will last the whole event. I use the P-Zero due to their exceptional, and I really mean EXCEPTIONAL, dry track performance for a non-R compound. They are noisy and squeel like pigs on track. If you learn what the squeeling pigs are telling you, they are better than the PS2's on the dry track.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by roberga
guess that is why the are many tire makers. Folks have a preference for many reasons. PS2 is a great all around tire for a Porsche. I found that the PP goes away quicker than the PS2 back when I had my C2. On the GT3 I have only run PS2 for street and wet track or if I had a 3 hour drive to the track. If I am local and dry I use Hoosiers. Since tires are disposable, pick one use them up and if you feel the need try the other. By the way, if you learn how to drive you can be very fast with streets.
with all due respect, rob, here are my thoughts:

-PS2s are a great tire for a lot of sporty cars, not just the porsche

-Anyone that i know who's been tracking their cars and enjoy this hobby rarely run streets tires on the track because it simply does not perform up to their fun factor needs

i contend, once again, that the PPs are comparable to PS2s for the street and neither should be used on the track except for dudes like me who have but a couple of track days under his belt both being "school" days with maybe 20 laps total around my local track all with an instructor. tirerack's consumer/review data shows that they offer similar levels of performance and so do other reviews i've read (e.g. evo/car mag).

interestingly enough, it's teh goodyear F1 asymms that got the highest ratings in the wet and dry. i just can't ge tmyself to run goodyears on my car.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:11 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Boy Ben is touchy. He is looking for something that does both. As someone that tracks a couple of time a month, weather does not let me run Hoosiers every track day. PS2 works on my GT3 fine. Does it let me run 8/10 No but for all around use they are fine. As far as going fast, it is the driver. I have seen Ford Focus SVT on street tires bitchslap a 997S around Pacific. Seat time. Lastly, what works well on a BMer or Suby does not do the same for Porsche. With all due respect... thats funny
Old 04-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Where's the darn popcorn eating smilie when you need one ?
Old 04-04-2008, 02:22 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

it was too easy. I quit.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by roberga
Boy Ben is touchy. He is looking for something that does both. As someone that tracks a couple of time a month, weather does not let me run Hoosiers every track day. PS2 works on my GT3 fine. Does it let me run 8/10 No but for all around use they are fine. As far as going fast, it is the driver. I have seen Ford Focus SVT on street tires bitchslap a 997S around Pacific. Seat time. Lastly, what works well on a BMer or Suby does not do the same for Porsche. With all due respect... thats funny
lol i'm touchy? if u want me to take the respect out since it seems you can't reciprocate, i'm cool with that.

palting said himself ps2s suck at the track. you say "On the GT3 I have only run PS2 for street and wet track". if this is true, how the hell can you even begin to compare the PPs to the PS2s on the street or the track?

c'mon dude. get over yourself. heck, we may even know the same people locally. too funny man you track guys. what, the ps2s aren't good for the BMWs or subarus? LOL
Old 04-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Luke@tirerack
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<<<---- see screen name

I have driven all of the tires mentioned many times on the track and on the street, in our tests and at non-work related events and here's my thoughts:

Given those two choices PS2's are the clear winner by a wide margin

but, if you want almost R-Compound dry track grip in a street tire look at these three
Potenza RE01R
ADVAN AD07
Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
Old 04-04-2008, 05:28 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again, I'll vote for the AD07... I hear good stuff about the Direzzas too but I have no exprience with them.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put the RE050APP on my car. I like them a lot, stiffer than the So3s I had on before. I didn't go w/PS2s because I've read the Bridgestones are better in the wet.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack
<<<---- see screen name

I have driven all of the tires mentioned many times on the track and on the street, in our tests and at non-work related events and here's my thoughts:

Given those two choices PS2's are the clear winner by a wide margin

but, if you want almost R-Compound dry track grip in a street tire look at these three
Potenza RE01R
ADVAN AD07
Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
I disagree on your "wide margin" conclusion based on personal experience, data published on your company's website, and corroborating comments made by your colleague Damon@tirerack.com. Were your ratings considered in these tests at all, bud? j/k

RE050APP: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+Pole+Position

PS2: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ilot+Sport+PS2

8.2 (RE050APP) to 8.23 (PS2) dry track ratings? Close call on all customer feedback numbers as well. Hardly "wide margin" and at ~23% cheaper per tire.

RE050APP 245/35ZR19 Price: $251.00 (each)

PS2 245/35ZR19 Price: $327.00 (each)

Lovely tires the PS2s are as these are on my Porky4S, but would not hesitate to go with the Bridgeys due to its convincing value advantage over the Michys.

Bridgestone, please make 315/25/19 rears! Damon, Luke, ayudame!!! LOL

Quick Reply: PS2 or RE050-A ??