Sponsored by:

Power Window Doesn't Work

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:39 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Window Doesn't Work

I'm suspicous the mechanism hardware is broken. I can hear the motor running but the window won't go up and down. The passenger was broken when I bought the car and the cable system inside the door panel was frayed and worn out.
Anyone have a DYI on replacing this hardware and a part number?
I watched my indy do it and it took about 30 minutes. How hard is this as a DYI?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:27 PM
mrgroove
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue right now, but not as bad. The cable has gone slack and doesn't drop as it should when you left the door handle. I just did a quick fix by adding a couple of zip ties to the ends of the cabling where a Green plastic piece locates the wire into the regulator frame. Although I believe your wire has snapped completely - bummer, as they run around $180-$235!!!!

Do a search for 'Window Regulator' or 'How to adjust the windows'. There's a good diagram in the second post. It's pretty straight forward, just use the correct nylon tools to pry the door panel off (not screwdrivers!) and remember to disconnect the battery. Airbag in the face is going to hurt like a bitch!

hope this helps...
Old 03-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no mechanical system other than the bowden system (window reg). The motor bolts to the reg and to the door (sandwich). If you hear the motor running, you simply snapped the cable. I doubt the gear/spool would strip out. It took me 2 hours on mine, it was pretty easy but I used a manual.

Someone has posted a DYI in the past with pics that would be useful, the door panel is the trickiest to get off if you dont know where it is attached.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:14 AM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mrgroove
I have the same issue right now, but not as bad. The cable has gone slack and doesn't drop as it should when you left the door handle. I just did a quick fix by adding a couple of zip ties to the ends of the cabling where a Green plastic piece locates the wire into the regulator frame. Although I believe your wire has snapped completely - bummer, as they run around $180-$235!!!!

Do a search for 'Window Regulator' or 'How to adjust the windows'. There's a good diagram in the second post. It's pretty straight forward, just use the correct nylon tools to pry the door panel off (not screwdrivers!) and remember to disconnect the battery. Airbag in the face is going to hurt like a bitch!

hope this helps...
Yeah, I did this zip-tie trick on my BMW front regulator too and now the window works smoothly like new. If you start hearing the grinding noise from the cable, you could try to zip-tie the cable back on the rail. Looks like you do need to replace yours. It should not be too hard, do a search and you will find a nice DIY from a Boxster owner. Easy DIYI and save a bunch... Good luck!
Old 03-07-2008, 04:12 AM
NOBY
Pro

Mine works , but when lowering it, there comes a cracking noise from the window I belive, what could be wrong? Its kind of embarrerassing to lower it =)
Old 03-07-2008, 07:50 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just uploaded the shop manuals online for the 996 last night - there is a link on 6speedonline. Haven't read it yet, but there may be some helpful info. in the manuals. I haven't had that issue yet.
Bob
Old 03-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by NOBY
Mine works , but when lowering it, there comes a cracking noise from the window I belive, what could be wrong? Its kind of embarrerassing to lower it =)
Well that creaking noise could just come from the cable that is out of the railing meachanism because I had that same noise on my BMW. It's due to the cable that is dragging behind the door panel hitting the metal frame. I immediately stopped using the window, then opened up the door panel to check. It was only the little broken tab holding the cable in place flush with the rail mechanism. I used the "Zip-Tie" fix to hold the cable tight back to the rail again and now the window goes up and down smoothly like new, no more noise. At first, I thought I had to replace my window regulator too. You should try to check yours out to see if it is just this same issue before bringing the car to the dealer. For sure they will charge you for the whole new regulator+labor. I believe this mechanism is the same or similar on all german cars. Good luck! Cheers,
Old 03-07-2008, 09:11 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The dealer wanted $500 to replace it in my TT. This is in a CPO car that I have owned for a year and used the window maybe 2 times. I dont hear any noise and it seems to work fine but they say its broken??? Its not covered of course. They found this while i was in getting a oil change and its the same dealer that CPO'd the car!
Old 03-07-2008, 09:12 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

I did the troubleshooting of mentioned of opening the door, pushing the window down, then closing the door. The window did in fact move up the 1/2 or so to close. Does that mean the cable is still intact but just loose or out od it's rail??
Where can I get this nylon tool to pull the snaps away from the door without damaging them?
Old 03-07-2008, 09:14 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

jimq
That's what they charged on my passenger side last year. Sounds like you and I might be doing the same DYI
Old 03-07-2008, 09:36 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

mrgroove
Found the window regulator thread. WoW! Thanks. Looks like a lot of work but I think I'm gonna try it. Hopefully I can just adjust. Either way, I might save $225 in labor.
Now that I've made it through the spark plug replacement, I feel empowered!!!
Old 03-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

There is nothing to adjust in there. The regulator needs to be replaced.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:59 AM
nazhat
Instructor

Mine did the same thing, cable was loose. Had to change regulator, thank GOD for extended warranty, covered all of it. was around $500.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:06 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they all go bad from time to time.
one quick note, you need to dis-connect the side-air bag. before doing that, make sure u disconnect your battery first. and don't try to re-connect your battery to "QA" your fix. otherwise you will end up with a air-bag warnning light causing your a trip to the dealer and 1 hour labor.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pat056
Where can I get this nylon tool to pull the snaps away from the door without damaging them?
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...rID=178&KICKER

or

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...roductID=12214

Quick Reply: Power Window Doesn't Work