Sponsored by:

So I finally got to drive a 360 Modena yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So I finally got to drive a 360 Modena yesterday

so i got to drive my friend's modified 360 modena this evening having sold my rolex to him in exchange

all i gotta say is as predicted, it absolutely crushed any remnants of wanting yet another 911.

at the end of the day, the ferrari 360 is so much more fun to drive than any 911 i've driven (997S, 997TT, 996GT3)... i can't see how anyone could say no in picking one up from a driving experience, looks standpoint. you see that yellow/black prancing horse shield on the front side panels and you're just like... "i've arrived".

-I believe his car was a lightened version from the factory so it topped out at about 3000lbs
-the car feels very rigid
-suspension was firmer than my car on pss9s in medium
-revs fall much quicker in between shifts than my car and in turn blipping throttle gives you that brrap brrap in quick succession
-interior is rather sparse in a good way
-car is wider and lower and longer (more interior space and truly feels like you're riding on your ****)

the thing is, i don't care for the stock look of the 360, but since his was lowered on 19" HREs... (wider, bigger) with capristo exhaust and some other intake.... goodness gracious it looks like a damn space ship rolling down the road. it was a 6 speed manual which i'd get on the 360 since the F1 tranny is always being updated... and i must say i rather enjoyed the clink clink of the metal gates. the throws were quite good (i.e. no SSK needed).

it makes my

look ... pedestrian

any of you guys drive another car where you were just blown away by the experience?
Old 02-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I have always loved the 360, and the 430 even more so.

For me, it would just be a weekend car as I could never drive that car into NYC and certainly not when there is even the chance of a cloud.

That makes the Ferrari expensive in epic proportions. However if I had FU money I'd own one in a hearbeat... pure sex on wheels.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

While I love P-cars and there are all sorts of rationale reasons to own one over a Ferrari, the F-cars are stunning to look at, never mind drive. Agree with Riad - if I had the FU money, I'd have one in my garage tomorrow.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

yea bro i can't imagine driving the 430 if the 360 is THIS good.

the 360 didn't feel much faster if at all than my pork4s in the straights... in fact it felt less torquey off the line and that's fine with me. i like high revving n/a engines.

i'd love to try out the 430 for comparison. the 360 is certainly fast enough for me like my c4s. where the 360 kills is the feel, sound, looks, and just the fanfare within you and the fans looking at you.

I def get the hater looks in the 911, but in the f-car... my friend tells me it's all been love from the public (he used to own an aerokitted 997S).

the 997 TT is the last car i test drove. that car just feels like it grips and grips and is just stupid fast, but at the same time, there's really little feel, bit 'o lag, lack of good sounds (my 996 sounds better without a doubt) and when i got back in my dated pork4s, i didn't feel like i'm missing out 2x my car.

in the ferrari, i felt... sheesh, time to hustle and move it on up. it's just an incredible machine and the romance of it all is just... powerful.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:21 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I like that phrase, "FU money". Some non-Porsche owners may argue that's thats the reason we have a Porsche. We Porsche owners know better.

But, yes. I, too, would buy a Ferrari if I had the FU money.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:21 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good for you Ben for driving an F car. I have driven a 430 before with the F1 trans and it was a blast, I won't say blown away though.

Personnally I would look at only the 360 or 430 if out shopping for a F car. But then neither car is cheap as chips, even a used one is going to set you back a lot. To have one, as Riad stated, would be a weekend toy and not a DD and grocery getter.

Does it out perform and make more of a statement than a Porsche (the ones you listed), most definately more of a statement, performance is questionable though IMHO.

So if you can swing keeping your Porsche and getting a 360 go for it I say
Old 02-19-2008, 12:24 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

"FU money", great way to put it RIAD.

I would not leverage myself to own one. That said, if I wanted (and could afford) to **** away twice the money, I would certainly take an F over a P ..and I'm sure it would provide twice the thrill!!

Benjie, my advice, if you have the disposable income and you can "live with" pissing it away for an expensive thrill, do it!
Old 02-19-2008, 12:27 PM
pl
Drifting

Originally Posted by riad
I have always loved the 360, and the 430 even more so.

For me, it would just be a weekend car as I could never drive that car into NYC and certainly not when there is even the chance of a cloud.

That makes the Ferrari expensive in epic proportions. However if I had FU money I'd own one in a hearbeat... pure sex on wheels.
http://www.forza-mag.com/art2/art2p1.html
from a guy drive his 360 in NYC:
...This was my beater, my every-day car, since I only had one car at the time, he says. I wasnt afraid to get door dings or rock chips. I actually had 24 door dings on my passenger-side door at one time. ..
Old 02-19-2008, 12:31 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Nice ride!! I am off to buy lottery tickets...
Old 02-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by arr0gant

Benjie, my advice, if you have the disposable income and you can "live with" pissing it away for an expensive thrill, do it!
I'm perfectly fine with the p-car for now as it fits my lifestyle and where I'm at. I'm still excited by it everytime I look at it and drive off in it.

For me, I'm big on *life balance* so until I feel like my lifestyle can back-up the "smack talk" of being an F-car owner (balanced out by a large contribution to a charity of mine or having a building named after me at my private high school), I will stick to what's good at the time.

The time right now is to travel the world, work hard, drive a decent car I love, and just go out and do the thang with my crew. But damn my grandparents, mom/dad, aunt... are coming down on me to start settling down.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:51 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. I like the 360 better than the 430. I've always liked the V8, smaller kid brother Fcars.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

just like the 996:997, the 360 doesn't look any more dated on the outside than the 430.. now the interior... yes.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:10 PM
othomasjr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rode in an F355 F1 Spider recently and was only impressed by the tightness and quietness (even though it was a convertible). Then of course there is the exhaust sound. It was bone stock and sounded wonderful.
I was rather disappointed in how poorly the interior looked. I think it was a 1999 with only around 10,000 miles, but the interior looked crappy. It hasn't held up well at all.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:13 PM
pl
Drifting

Originally Posted by othomasjr
I rode in an F355 F1 Spider recently and was only impressed by the tightness and quietness (even though it was a convertible). Then of course there is the exhaust sound. It was bone stock and sounded wonderful.
I was rather disappointed in how poorly the interior looked. I think it was a 1999 with only around 10,000 miles, but the interior looked crappy. It hasn't held up well at all.
the diff. between 355 and 360 is like 933 and 996, interior-wise.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Blackness
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As much as I love the taste of the Porsche koolaid, I would own an F-car if I had FU money. How could you be a car enthusiast and not? But, if I had FU money, I would have a small stable of cars. I wouldn't give up one for another.

Ben, you can settle down without completely growing up. Don't ever lose all of the kid in you.

Quick Reply: So I finally got to drive a 360 Modena yesterday