996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

So I finally got to drive a 360 Modena yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Blackness
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, if I had the FU money, an A-M would be in my stable as well. I would have the flat-six, the F-car V8, and the A-M V12. Beautiful tunes all around. And if you're at Sebring next month, you'll get to hear all three in race trim at the same time.

A total win the lottery pipe dream for me. But hey, I have the flat-six now, so I gotta have something to dream about.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:07 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackness
Again, if I had the FU money, an A-M would be in my stable as well. I would have the flat-six, the F-car V8, and the A-M V12. Beautiful tunes all around. And if you're at Sebring next month, you'll get to hear all three in race trim at the same time.

A total win the lottery pipe dream for me. But hey, I have the flat-six now, so I gotta have something to dream about.
You better keep some of the FU money aside for repairs and loaners - AM have a terrible reputation back in the UK.

Mostly transmission issues.

Guy I know got a refund on his yearly vehicle tax because he could prove the car spent most of the year being repaired at AM!
Old 02-21-2008, 08:15 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
How'd I guess someone would say that? "11" steps up to the plate predictably.

Unless you're driving a Buagtti Veyron or a McLaren F1, you can be a poor automobile man to a lot of other dudes.

And if I wanted a Turbo, I would've gotten one, but like you I don't do turbos.

At least the 911 is the flagship Porsche model. We're good.
Flagship? Don't tell the Carrera GT guys.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:00 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Flagship? Don't tell the Carrera GT guys.
err I think you mean the Cayenne guys...
Old 02-21-2008, 09:07 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by perfectlap
err I think you mean the Cayenne guys...
Old 02-22-2008, 11:53 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Katana is actually right across the street from Sky Bar. It's fun, lot of celebrity traffic which can be annoying, but more a scene than a destination restaurant like a Nobu. A lot of chinese/japanese fusion on the menu which s good though, like whole fried fish etc. Plenty of authentic Japanese food down on Sawtelle in Santa Monica.

Sky is a very old place with a slightly older, more West LA and tourist crowd, but is in the Mondrian along with a decent iteration of Asia de Cuba. Definitely drop in and see, nice view, just don't wind up in the pool with ten of your new friends and short out your iphone (cough cough). Blackberrys better anyway.

Places you'll want to go if you want to scratch a nightclub itch: Villa, Les Deux, Social, maybe still Mood, and Goa or Opera if you like bigger spaces

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
Hey bud I'm not planning on unloading my 911 anytime soon! I still very much enjoy the drive even after having driven the 360. It feels like gt coupe in comparison.

I definitely would want the drop top over the coupe. With Ferrari's, due to the mid-engine layout, the drop top in some ways looks better than the coupe whereas in the 911... it just does not translate well (not a dig at the cab guys here).

I'll always have my trusty Jeep Cherokee 4.0 4x4. I wouldn't DD any car sports car/gt coupe. I always would want a trusty utility car I don't necessarily beat on per se (I take good care of my cars), but just throw stuff in like dogs and mud and costco junk with 0 worries.

Is Katana a pretty siq place to be? I'll be at the Mondrian next weekend and hoping for some good weather. I hear the Sky Bar is pretty tite.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:56 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ReidN
Remember that the engines come out for tune ups 5K and that same engine (de-Tuned of course) is in the Masseratti line and the Alfa Romeo.
Not all services are engine out, they don't come out nearly as much as the old ones
Old 02-23-2008, 12:05 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Paul 996
Hey Ben,

Do yourself a favor and drive a 2003-2004 Maserati Spyder GT or Coupe GT. Would be interested in your comparo to the 360. I went to look/drive one with a buddy and honestly can't believe how friggin cheap they are these days... sweet music from that 390 hp 4.2L V8
A good friend of mine down in Florida had a Maser coupe, loved it but hated the F1 trans, now has the new proper torque converter auto quattroporte (which I dislike intensely) and will probably end up in a Murci or Zonda too the way he's going. Way more GT than 360 or even 911

Coupe/spyder motor sounds amazing, but not as raspy or free revving as the 355/360 but deeper sound too. More recip. mass, less titanium. He did have the tubi on it, stock cats i believe. But you can't own it for more than a few months before you o exhaust, rims, intake, run out of mods and spring for the ferrari.

Some stigma as well if you can believe it: Just like many porschefiles say everyone in a boxster couldn't spring for the 911, many tifosi look down their nose at the Maser coupe/spyder owners.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:30 PM
wch
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

"many tifosi look down their nose at the Maser coupe/spyder owners"

I own both Ferraris and a Maserati QP. Anyone who looks down on his nose at a Boxster or Mas owner is a tool.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:38 PM
ls911
Pro

Yeah, what he said expect the Boxster part

BTW love that Vanquish...since we are having fun dreaming
Old 02-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by htny
Katana is actually right across the street from Sky Bar. It's fun, lot of celebrity traffic which can be annoying, but more a scene than a destination restaurant like a Nobu. A lot of chinese/japanese fusion on the menu which s good though, like whole fried fish etc. Plenty of authentic Japanese food down on Sawtelle in Santa Monica.

Sky is a very old place with a slightly older, more West LA and tourist crowd, but is in the Mondrian along with a decent iteration of Asia de Cuba. Definitely drop in and see, nice view, just don't wind up in the pool with ten of your new friends and short out your iphone (cough cough). Blackberrys better anyway.

Places you'll want to go if you want to scratch a nightclub itch: Villa, Les Deux, Social, maybe still Mood, and Goa or Opera if you like bigger spaces
i've got a date lined up for saturday nite so looks like i'll go by your recommendation and make a reservation at katana. i partied at les deux back in oct and my friends and i had a good time. if you have any vip list contacts at opera, social, etc, pls let me know.

i'm drugged up on cold medicine right now, but hopefully i'll recover in time to enjoy the LA scene next weekend.

P.S. I use a windows mobile phone (so not LA hehe)
Old 02-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ls911
Yeah, what he said expect the Boxster part

BTW love that Vanquish...since we are having fun dreaming
i saw it rollin down the street and i was mesmerized (rare occurrence). deep dish, lowered... am rumble... it was unreal automotive beauty.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:36 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

My thought on this Ben is you're young, you don't have other responsibilities like a wife and kids (and they are HUGE responsibilities), so if you can swing it go ahead and pull the trigger. Once you start amassing life's responsibilities buying self indulgent things becomes more and more difficult to justify. You may find if you wait you won't be able to do this again until you're middle aged.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:41 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by deckman
My thought on this Ben is you're young, you don't have other responsibilities like a wife and kids (and they are HUGE responsibilities), so if you can swing it go ahead and pull the trigger. Once you start amassing life's responsibilities buying self indulgent things becomes more and more difficult to justify. You may find if you wait you won't be able to do this again until you're middle aged.
I concur 100%. I am 34 and married with a 9 year old son and our budget continues to find ways to get spent. These costs add up fast, and it I were a single man, could have afforded leases on "several" Ferrari's with this money....

Bottom line - enjoy it NOW. The wife/kid thing is great, and I wouldn't change it for the world. But, I wish I had bought that Ferrari when I was 26 and had the means... For now, I have to wait until the little one is in or out of college (another decade away)...

Live large!

-Blake
Old 02-23-2008, 08:04 PM
ls911
Pro

He seems to be indulging and enjoying quite fine to me, bad *** car with plenty of moods, traveling, etc, etc and etc.
An FN F car might not be the best thing right now. Invest, be patient and rewards will follow. In the mean time try to put up with just a P.
Poor young lad.
Keep on dreaming on though, you'll get yours

Well that's my dos centavos

Quick Reply: So I finally got to drive a 360 Modena yesterday