Sponsored by:

Oil Wars, Revisited!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Must be one of those engineers who got their degree through the mail.
I dont know, he was regarded as a big chief.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:53 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
I dont know, he was regarded as a big chief.
Don't argue. We know that when it comes to oil, there is only One True God on Rennlist, and he has issued his fatwa.

As for me, I'm not using any oil at all until there is some consensus. I don't want to take any chances.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:11 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think most people with any knowledge of how an engine works and wants to properly protect the engine, no longer uses Mobil Water. Worse thing you can ever put in an engine. However, there will always be those that fall for the intense marketting of a product. Moving away from Mobil Water will provide you with better Variocam operation, less oil leakage, less oil burning and better protection of bearings and journals especially at lower rpms and high load conditions..

If I remember correctly, someone on this board has been arguing against using 0W40 for years now. I can't remember who, tho.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:13 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

None of these studies ever take into consideration the pressure of the oiling system which is their biggest fault. Without adequate pressure, even a 50 weight oil is not enough to keep componants such as the crank from slapping against the journals. This is exactly why lugging an engine is so bad.

ALL oil ratings are based on the oil properties at atmospheric pressure which, for the most part, is irrelevant when used in an engine. What is it going to do under pressure? What pressure is needed to maintain a film thick and strong enough to hold componants apart? Does a thicker oil really take longer to reach components while under pressure? If so, does the additional time it takes cause any damage?

This, among other faults, is a big problem with Mobil Water. Your oil system is not built to provide enough pressure to keep this water compressed enough to hold it's form between parts when operated at warm temperatures and low rpm's.

Look at all the people who report extremely low oil pressure when running Mobil Water. There are many on here reporting less than 10 psi at idle. With these low pressures, the engine is a time bomb, especially if sudden load is introduced. Push a sleeve out, score a journal, etc. Component slack is one of you engine's biggest enemies. Either increase the flow of your oil pump or move to an oil that will maintain the proper pressure.

I am not going to rehash all the faults of Mobil Water, but those who care should do a little research and/or testing on their own. Sometimes, even common sense can change your mind.
Oil pressure is a function of the resistance of the oil to flow not the amount of oil in the lubricating surface. Lubrication is based on the amount of oil in the journal area not the pressure. What you base your assumption on is based on oil leaking out of a journal area not leaving enough film to provide adequate lubrication, but however your thinking is flawed in one area as it is based solely on loose tolerances. Older hotrod V8s had much more space in the lubricating journals and does need thick oil to fill the large space to protect them, but newer cars have very tight tolerances and needs a thinner oil to get in there better . The newer cars lubrication need more oil flow to the area, thicker oil may not even get to all the surfaces as it may have a problem getting to the surface in adequate amounts. I have been using Mobil water in all of my Euro cars and have not had one engine failure yet in the last ten years even in hot S. Cal wheather.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:13 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got Clff Notes?

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Read this set of information... from a Ph.D. who has studied viscocity:

Oil
Old 02-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Don't argue. We know that when it comes to oil, there is only One True God on Rennlist, and he has issued his fatwa.

As for me, I'm not using any oil at all until there is some consensus. I don't want to take any chances.
I am not arguing at all, just throwing some thoughts out there since we all now think we are experts at this topic.

But Bruce, you should use oil in your engine, it works better with some in it.........
Old 02-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Read this set of information... from a Ph.D. who has studied viscocity:

Oil
Interesting read.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

More fodder here.....

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/410614-what-is-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-mod-you-have-done-or-are-planning.html

A little off topic, but I guess you throw it in where you can....
Old 02-17-2008, 12:39 AM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Arrrrgggghhhh! This is freakin' killing me. I run my 996 GT3 as a "track only" car, and my local dealer insists on Mobil 0W-40. I then decide to take it to the guys that maintain GT3 cups (same engine) at Miller Motorsports Park (Synergy) and they recommend Mobile 15W-50 TriSyn.

So now what? Help - anyone, anyone...

-B
Old 02-17-2008, 12:50 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
Arrrrgggghhhh! This is freakin' killing me. I run my 996 GT3 as a "track only" car, and my local dealer insists on Mobil 0W-40. I then decide to take it to the guys that maintain GT3 cups (same engine) at Miller Motorsports Park (Synergy) and they recommend Mobile 15W-50 TriSyn.

-B
Don't worry, be happy. The one thing that's always missing from these debates is even one example of oil-related engine failure. None. Nada. This is just one of those "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" kinds of discussions.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:39 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 94Speedster

-B
Hmmm.....I wonder what the manufacturer of your engine (Porsche) recommends???

Or, you could always listen to random internet speculation with zero testing behind it.....
Old 02-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Blackness
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Farnbacher-Loles pit during the Rolex 24. I guess this is why they lost to the Mazda.
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Hmmm.....I wonder what the manufacturer of your engine (Porsche) recommends???

Or, you could always listen to random internet speculation with zero testing behind it.....
Well said Ray.

This constant argument cracks me up - as far as I'm concerned Porsche is the final word in everything Porsche - We can choose to ignore what they say, but in the end I think they know what's best for the machines that they designed - certainly better than Joe Schmo from Cyberville, who could easily be a 15 year old "expert" with 30 years of experience in driving Porsches.

... not that we have any of those here.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I use 0w-40 in the winter months and change to 15w-50 for the summer. I have noticed no significant differences between the two viscosities and my engine tells me it likes both.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:20 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Well said Ray.

This constant argument cracks me up - as far as I'm concerned Porsche is the final word in everything Porsche - We can choose to ignore what they say, but in the end I think they know what's best for the machines that they designed - certainly better than Joe Schmo from Cyberville, who could easily be a 15 year old "expert" with 30 years of experience in driving Porsches.

... not that we have any of those here.
+1.

Not a shred of evidence that Porsche is wrong, nor how nor why. And not a shred of credentials to support the argument. Breatharians stand on firmer dialectical ground than this.

Quick Reply: Oil Wars, Revisited!!!