!
Old 02-22-2008, 04:52 PM
mtl911sc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls911
You know
I should have read between the lines - sorry

I was just in the car at lunch, and the Bose is really a decent sounding system as far as OEM goes...not sure about the H/K in the 3-series but do know that their non-H/K system sounded like complete ****e.

It's just that for the same $$ you can get SO much better in the aftermarket - some would say that about wheels too, but it's such a personal thing.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:58 PM
ls911
Pro

Originally Posted by mtl911sc
I should have read between the lines - sorry

I was just in the car at lunch, and the Bose is really a decent sounding system as far as OEM goes...not sure about the H/K in the 3-series but do know that their non-H/K system sounded like complete ****e.

It's just that for the same $$ you can get SO much better in the aftermarket - some would say that about wheels too, but it's such a personal thing.
It's all good I Agree with you on all including wheels, mufflers, etc....
Old 03-03-2008, 01:46 PM
imdrew12
Racer

Ben, are you still happy with your setup? Is there anything you would change/add now that you have had the system for a bit? I ask because I am getting a near identical system installed in about two weeks.

Thanks
Old 03-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by imdrew12
Ben, are you still happy with your setup? Is there anything you would change/add now that you have had the system for a bit? I ask because I am getting a near identical system installed in about two weeks.

Thanks
I am 80% happy with the setup. The 20% that needs to be there is that I need to get that IMPRINT option setup on my headunit (per BruceP). I think the main diff between Bruce's Alpine HU and mine is the IMPRINT piece where for me I need to buy the phyiscal module to add-on and in Bruce's it's a software upgrade option. I can only trust Bruce's opinion that it makes the mids and highs sound more powerful.

For the type of music I listen to which is heavy on hip-hop, I think I do need an enclosure to get the lows that I want.

Otherwise, the system is powerful and the bass kicks and the iPod functionality is nice to have. Speed is super quick and it's like I have to adjust my ears because the mids/highs are so much stronger/brighter than the stock system. It just needs to be reshaped in the car as it sounds kinda scattered.

I wish I could tell you guys yea I spent my $3500 wisely and the system is the fuqin **** go for it... but I don't want to waste your guy's money and I want to stick my guns of candor. It's not all there... I need to spend an additional $2K to get it where I want it. That enclosure is pricey since I want it custom and clean.

I guess I am more of an audiophile than I thought.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:32 PM
imdrew12
Racer

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
I am 80% happy with the setup. The 20% that needs to be there is that I need to get that IMPRINT option setup on my headunit (per BruceP). I think the main diff between Bruce's Alpine HU and mine is the IMPRINT piece where for me I need to buy the phyiscal module to add-on and in Bruce's it's a software upgrade option. I can only trust Bruce's opinion that it makes the mids and highs sound more powerful.

For the type of music I listen to which is heavy on hip-hop, I think I do need an enclosure to get the lows that I want.

Otherwise, the system is powerful and the bass kicks and the iPod functionality is nice to have. Speed is super quick and it's like I have to adjust my ears because the mids/highs are so much stronger/brighter than the stock system. It just needs to be reshaped in the car as it sounds kinda scattered.

I wish I could tell you guys yea I spent my $3500 wisely and the system is the fuqin **** go for it... but I don't want to waste your guy's money and I want to stick my guns of candor. It's not all there... I need to spend an additional $2K to get it where I want it. That enclosure is pricey since I want it custom and clean.

I guess I am more of an audiophile than I thought.
I just called my installer and secured an CDA-9887 with IMPRINT for $369. I found it on the web for about $330 but would rather buy it from him. I hope the IMPRINT technology is as good as it sounds. I went through the online tutorial on the Alpine site and it looks to be what home theater receivers have been using for the last couple of years, room calibration/level correction. The hardware for IMPRINT is around $200. I just read on Crutchfield that you can rent the calibration hardware and microphone for $50. Thats an idea.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea good action on that. i think i may liken it to.... and this is conjecture since i haven't heard it with imprint yet, but i trust bruce's ears... kinda like listening to your home theater in concert hall mode v. pro logic.. where the dialogue comes from the tv v. all around you.

i want the true version of dialogue/mids coming at me v. this all around me scattered type sound that i got going right now.

it's subtle, but enough for me to notice and want to address at some point.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket sound system recommendations, please