996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket sound system recommendations, please

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:55 PM
viper501
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ben, your manual is here ... http://support.alpine-usa.com/produc...M_CDA-9886.PDF

It looks like they may have taken the color change out. If its there, I didn't see it. Also, they've dumbed down the internal crossover settings a bit. I'd suggest reading the manual while playing around with the settings.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:38 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

There should be a button called 'FUNC/SETUP' or something like that. Push and hold for a few seconds. Then, using the rotary dial, you can scroll through a bunch of options. When you get to the one you want, you press 'ENT'. So, for the dial colour, scroll until you see 'DISPLAY'. You'll get a some options on this menu for button colour, font (I think), dimming, etc. Just use 'ENT' to get into each sub menu, scroll to the option you like, and hit 'ENT' again. Then ESC.

The same process applies to your sound problem, at least to get you started. Again, hold down the FUNC/SETUP button. Scroll to 'AUDIO', then ENT. Scroll through that menu to get to 'FACTORY'S EQ'. There is a series of presets you can listen to and choose from. For my car with my speakers, ROCK works best. This will, for sure, solve our vocal problem. (I think there's also a way to contour your own EQ manually, but it seems like a supreme pain in the ***.)

MX, if you have it on your unit, is found by pressing A.SEL (don't ask me why), scrolling to MEDIA Xpander, and then picking the setting that sounds best. My car, my setup, it's level 2. I think it overrides your EQ. This made a HUGE difference with mine.

Let me know how it goes for you.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:16 AM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Good clean install. I'm sure it sounds great!
Old 02-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by viper501
Ben, your manual is here ... http://support.alpine-usa.com/produc...M_CDA-9886.PDF

It looks like they may have taken the color change out. If its there, I didn't see it. Also, they've dumbed down the internal crossover settings a bit. I'd suggest reading the manual while playing around with the settings.
I just downloaded it and sent it to my hotmail for reference. Thank you.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by BruceP
There should be a button called 'FUNC/SETUP' or something like that. Push and hold for a few seconds. Then, using the rotary dial, you can scroll through a bunch of options. When you get to the one you want, you press 'ENT'. So, for the dial colour, scroll until you see 'DISPLAY'. You'll get a some options on this menu for button colour, font (I think), dimming, etc. Just use 'ENT' to get into each sub menu, scroll to the option you like, and hit 'ENT' again. Then ESC.

The same process applies to your sound problem, at least to get you started. Again, hold down the FUNC/SETUP button. Scroll to 'AUDIO', then ENT. Scroll through that menu to get to 'FACTORY'S EQ'. There is a series of presets you can listen to and choose from. For my car with my speakers, ROCK works best. This will, for sure, solve our vocal problem. (I think there's also a way to contour your own EQ manually, but it seems like a supreme pain in the ***.)

MX, if you have it on your unit, is found by pressing A.SEL (don't ask me why), scrolling to MEDIA Xpander, and then picking the setting that sounds best. My car, my setup, it's level 2. I think it overrides your EQ. This made a HUGE difference with mine.

Let me know how it goes for you.
I usually like Rock in the other presets I've used in the past.

I was perusing the manual before a business review with my boss and it looks like my unit has MX as well.

I will tinker around with it when I get some time this weekend. This is great news as the vocals were a bit hollow-like for me, though with plenty of highs and low down boom.

One thing, though... I'm assuming that the additional power requirements of the new system will drain my stock battery pretty quickly so I should do all this while the car is running?
Old 02-22-2008, 12:48 PM
ls911
Pro

Nice mod. Very nice system/install no doubt about it. Probably almost as good as a Bose.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:56 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
I usually like Rock in the other presets I've used in the past.

I was perusing the manual before a business review with my boss and it looks like my unit has MX as well.

I will tinker around with it when I get some time this weekend. This is great news as the vocals were a bit hollow-like for me, though with plenty of highs and low down boom.

One thing, though... I'm assuming that the additional power requirements of the new system will drain my stock battery pretty quickly so I should do all this while the car is running?
Honestly? My system was a huge disappointment when all the settings were defaulted. Once I messed with it, it became fantastic. The difference is that big, and the MX mode was the biggest single contributor.

Yeah, I'd have the engine running while you're messing around with it. I ended up installing a way-over-spec battery in mine along with the stereo for reliability's sake, but that's me.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Bruce, can you e-mail me your vitae?
Old 02-22-2008, 01:03 PM
mtl911sc
Instructor

Ben's new system would sound AT LEAST as good as a Bose. Cost is not a means of comparison, since manufacturer's rape us when it comes to OEM sound. Take a look at the 6-disc CD changer in the Tequipment catalog - anyone gonna tell me that thing is worth almost a g-note??

Ben, don't be too concerned about your battery juice, it would take quite a while at very high volume to run it down. On the other hand, I wouldn't run the system for an hour + without having the ignition on myself...

I have tweaked & EQ'd an 800-watt (RMS, not peak watts) system w/ sub from battery power alone for a good half-hour, and that was on quite a small battery which wasn't in great health to begin with.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:11 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Bruce, can you e-mail me your vitae?
Why, are you hiring?
Old 02-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Thx, MTL.

All I know is, I had the Harmon/Kardon premium sound option on my '04 M3 and the aftermarket setup I've got in my car now absolutely kills it through and through. And I did absolutely no tweaking outside of turning up the basic bass setting everything else factory setting on the Apline headunit.

I looking forward to seeing what the Bruce tweaks do for my ears.

And I believe ls911 being his smart **** self was being sarcastic.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:25 PM
ls911
Pro

Originally Posted by mtl911sc
Ben's new system would sound AT LEAST as good as a Bose. Cost is not a means of comparison, since manufacturer's rape us when it comes to OEM sound. Take a look at the 6-disc CD changer in the Tequipment catalog - anyone gonna tell me that thing is worth almost a g-note??
Ben, don't be too concerned about your battery juice, it would take quite a while at very high volume to run it down. On the other hand, I wouldn't run the system for an hour + without having the ignition on myself...

I have tweaked & EQ'd an 800-watt (RMS, not peak watts) system w/ sub from battery power alone for a good half-hour, and that was on quite a small battery which wasn't in great health to begin with.
It hands down better than a Bose, I give, I give.
Just giving C-unit a tiny bit of caca. I do like Bose and paid the price here not that long ago. Had no idea there was such a strong anti movement?
The factory set up is not so good but plenty good for me since I don't thump much anymore.
What I really really would like is that muffler sound. Soon I will have it, still in research mode.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:27 PM
ls911
Pro

Thx, MTL.

All I know is, I had the Harmon/Kardon premium sound option on my '04 M3 and the aftermarket setup I've got in my car now absolutely kills it through and through. And I did absolutely no tweaking outside of turning up the basic bass setting everything else factory setting on the Apline headunit.

I looking forward to seeing what the Bruce tweaks do for my ears.

And I believe ls911 being his smart **** self was being sarcastic.
You know
Old 02-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by ls911
It hands down better than a Bose, I give, I give.
Just giving C-unit a tiny bit of caca. I do like Bose and paid the price here not that long ago. Had no idea there was such a strong anti movement?
The factory set up is not so good but plenty good for me since I don't thump much anymore.
What I really really would like is that muffler sound. Soon I will have it, still in research mode.
did you just call me c-unit? LOOOLLOOLOLOL my boys call me that
Old 02-22-2008, 02:11 PM
ls911
Pro

did you just call me c-unit? LOOOLLOOLOLOL my boys call me that
Did you just call me ****? Lol lol...my wife calls me that all the time

Quick Reply: Aftermarket sound system recommendations, please