996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket sound system recommendations, please

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 07:32 PM
DrScoles
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy has spent a ton of cash at benchmark. They sound like a great place. They do their best to be able to return the car to stock...ie no hole drilling. He has spent over $10K on radar and stereo stuff. With all the resources here on the forum, this would be a fun project to tackle yourself, unless you are really not into doing stuff like this.

Mike
Old 02-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrScoles
My buddy has spent a ton of cash at benchmark. They sound like a great place. They do their best to be able to return the car to stock...ie no hole drilling. He has spent over $10K on radar and stereo stuff. With all the resources here on the forum, this would be a fun project to tackle yourself, unless you are really not into doing stuff like this.

Mike
I'm really not into doing stuff like this. Part of the gratification is just picking up the car and riding out with the results I want. It's kinda like cooking my own food... just doesn't taste as good as momma's cookin'. Believe me, I'd save a lot more dough if I did it myself - just not a part of my dna I guess.

So I decided to go after a $4K setup (yea, they upsold me). I figure go big or go home and I trust that Bench will do a good job and get me the sound I need. So much for sticking to my budget, eh? I guess I shouldnt be sharing this with some of you vulture sales dudes out there!

Alpine CDA 9886
Focal k2 power
2 Focal 4" mid
2 Focal 2" tweeter
2 Focal 6" bass drive
2 Focal Cross over
Dual layer sound deadening (1 on vapor barrier and outerskin)
Plates for each speaker that mount to the factory bolts
Alpine PDX
Wiring

They tell me this head unit has a direct connection or some deal so the operation of the playlist is quick. I think I'll come to like this piece the most as I'm always burning CDs which isnt good for the environment, right? hehe

I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I really do appreciate all your input. I love you guys. Really.

Last edited by Benjamin Choi; 02-11-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:33 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Benchmark is where I would go. Make sure who ever does the work knows where the car's wiring is located. Barrier replaced 2 or 3 wiring harnesses because an audio shop drilled through in the front. $10K for the harness and they had to just about dismantle the car. This happened a 2 different shops.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by roberga
Benchmark is where I would go. Make sure who ever does the work knows where the car's wiring is located. Barrier replaced 2 or 3 wiring harnesses because an audio shop drilled through in the front. $10K for the harness and they had to just about dismantle the car. This happened a 2 different shops.
Will do, Rob-Deezy. Shot off an e-mail to Bench. Thx for looking out
Old 02-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Tonger
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ben,

The system sounds sweet. I've been looking into an upgrade as well and have picked up a couple of used Audison amps and a 8" focal sub that I'm going to incorporate into a footwell enclosure. I am also interested in the Focal component speakers and have not found a tweeter/4"/6.5" in the K2 power series. I've only found the polyglass 165vr3 model which is below the K2 power line. Can you please share the speaker model #'s for someone with champagne taste on a beer budget?

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2008, 11:55 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by Tonger
Ben,
Can you please share the speaker model #'s for someone with champagne taste on a beer budget?

Thanks!
I feel you on the budget thing, man. I like that Cristal, but def not like them ballers in the vids pouring it out all over the lounge table!

Let me do what I need to do to get you the info you want and keep this thread on point.

ATL! dirty dirty!
Old 02-12-2008, 12:37 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alpine won't match your interior.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:27 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I've got the 9987. Couple of thoughts for you:

One, spend time messing with the sound. There are many, FAR too many options for contouring and processing the sound out of that head unit, and they make a massive difference. Really. As in, a range from "This sounds like ***. I'm taking it back," to, "Best. Car. Stereo. Ever." It's worth spending time reading the manual, and then an hour in the driveway tinkering with it.

The iPod interface is very slick, there's no doubt. But if you have a big collection, you're going to be frustrated by how long it takes to scroll through the artist list with that stupid rotary ****. It's all but impossible while driving in traffic. You might want to make some playlists.

My .02 on matching the dash: I think mine looks best with the display turned off during the day, and the dim red setting at night (with that ridiculous disco animation switched off at all times, but then I'm old... ). The face of the unit is never going to fool anyone that it's stock, but I find it tolerable. Can post a pic, if you like.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by BruceP
I've got the 9987. Couple of thoughts for you:

One, spend time messing with the sound. There are many, FAR too many options for contouring and processing the sound out of that head unit, and they make a massive difference. Really. As in, a range from "This sounds like ***. I'm taking it back," to, "Best. Car. Stereo. Ever." It's worth spending time reading the manual, and then an hour in the driveway tinkering with it.

The iPod interface is very slick, there's no doubt. But if you have a big collection, you're going to be frustrated by how long it takes to scroll through the artist list with that stupid rotary ****. It's all but impossible while driving in traffic. You might want to make some playlists.

My .02 on matching the dash: I think mine looks best with the display turned off during the day, and the dim red setting at night (with that ridiculous disco animation switched off at all times, but then I'm old... ). The face of the unit is never going to fool anyone that it's stock, but I find it tolerable. Can post a pic, if you like.

sir bruce, pls do post a pic.

i'll do my best to cope with the fact that it won't match my interior. i tend to pay more attn on matching my cute outfits than some fancy stereo to some pos 996 interior.

and i tend to stick to my classic hip-hop mostly so i'll def take up your suggestion and make playlists. i'm not one to have a huge library of music that i need to have with me all the time. when i'm in my car, i'm in a certain kind of party mood thus i'll have some bob your head type of songs ... for the ladies.

HAHA

so i was driving my car to work this morning and listening to my wonderful base system - it's actually pretty good. i'll have bench do the settings and just stick to it unless my ears are just way diff than theirs.

HAHA

best,
ben
Old 02-12-2008, 11:44 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Here ya go, with apologies for the crappy pic.

Last edited by BruceP; 09-29-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

that looks clean it's just too bad the 996 display looks like it's straight outta the 80s, i feel your pain
Old 02-12-2008, 01:34 PM
waipahu996
3rd Gear

Bechmark did a good job on my car. Retained the stock head unit, and installed Alpine PDX 4.150 and upgraded speakers.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by waipahu996
Bechmark did a good job on my car. Retained the stock head unit, and installed Alpine PDX 4.150 and upgraded speakers.
how does it sound compared to stock?
Old 02-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Fat Sled
Advanced

Hey Ben. I'm in the begining stages of getting my system together. I just installed the Alpine IDA-X001 head unit and love it. I'm either listening to the i-pod function, or XM. IMO, no need for a CD function or changer. I've used Alpine components for years with never a problem. Regarding the Sub; I would go with the the largest diameter possible. I don't know if a 12" would fit anywhere, but I don't think you'll get the low's you like from a 6" or 8" setup. It's not about the volume, or earthshaking, but more about the quality and low frequency. I'd have one amp running the sub, and another multi-channel amp running the doors, dash, and rear. MB-Quart does make some nice component speakers which will fit it the dass, doors, etc. I have an 12" Alpine type -R sub in my WRX coupled with 6.5" front door, 5" rear door components and it's like a concert hall. I listen to a lot of rock, blues, old school disco and it's the system is amazing. I love my 996 and can't wait to have it setup correctly.Here is a link so you can check out the head unit. I hope this helps. http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=iDA-X001
Old 02-12-2008, 04:10 PM
waipahu996
3rd Gear

It sounds better than the stock system. There is no distortion at higher volumes, even with bass heavy tracks like Tupac and Snoop. My Spice Girls CD sounds awesome LOL

Quick Reply: Aftermarket sound system recommendations, please