Sponsored by:

Aftermarket sound system recommendations, please

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 04:01 PM
mtl911sc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
true true thx for setting me straight loud and mtl.

So two 8s in the back means I need to add some sort of enclosure and give up my back seats correct? i'm just trying to have some knowledge beforehand so i can go to the installer with some sort of framework around what i want given my budget.

So like Rob's setup + two 8s?
If it's an installer that's worked on 911s before, they can get pretty creative with where they locate the sub enclosure. But it can get expensive real quick wih custom installs so watch out for that.

The reward is that once you hear a full system w/ a properly set-up sub, you will wonder how you ever went without it - I know I did.

Rob's brother's setup is solid and most importantly, clean, esp. the amps up front. If you have the upgraded Bose system with the "subs" behind the rear seat like I do, that could be easily ripped out & replaced with a custom enclosure of some sort, without giving up the rear seats...the recent posts in this thread are proof.

I may do that one day myself...the Bose system sounds OK for a stocker, but when I'm listening and some of the music sounds like it's behind me, it drives me nuts.

Shop it a bit & see...take your car to Benchmark and see what they suggest, you're not obligated to use them in the end. They look like they know quite a bit on 911 installs, and like I wrote earlier, remember that the quality of component placement is at least as important as the gear itself. High-end shops don't make their reputation on the gear they sell, it's what they do with it.

My advice - if it's a matter of a few hundred dollars more to get a proper install, just spend it if you have confidence in who you're dealing with. It's been said time & again, a good installer can make OK gear sound amazing, but high-end stuff installed all wrong will still sound like sh-t. Acoustics is both a science & an art.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mtl, I have a line into Benchmark. They seem to know what's up. I'm just wondering if my $2K budget is feasible. Else, I don't want to do it. I'm tired of spending $ on this car.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:16 PM
mtl911sc
Instructor

To keep budget down, you could even stick with the stock head unit - but I've only had my C4S for a month and don't know if it even has a pre-amp output which you need for running an amp or two.

If you're using all digital sources (MP3, iPod etc.) then the head unit won't affect that much in the way of sound anyway, unless you're bent on changing the look of your dash. For me, it's about trying to keep as OEM a look as possible.

On the other hand, if you're heavily into the iPod thing, then having iPod control and/or a jack on the faceplate is nice, but you'll have to weigh your priorities & act accordingly.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Just a lot of burned CDs, brother.

Here's what the shop said in response to an email today:

This would be the best route but, I would go with the Alpine PDX amplifier. We will use the Bose enclosure for the 5 inch woofers. Now remember that we don’t cut or, drill anything in your car.

OK, it looks like you have the standard system. The best thing to do without spending a tone of money would be to sound deaden the doors to turn them into an enclosure and replace the door speakers and add an amps that has solid power.

I have done systems in these cars and replacing the 4 inch dash speakers is not worth it. It becomes very tinny and bright.

www.benchmarkmotoring.com

Sent: Monday, February 11, 2008 12:16 PM
To: Benchmark
Subject: Re: Stereo

Something like this?

Audison 340 watt amp ( built in crossover - head unit powers rears )

Audison VSR - Sub woofer control in rear center console cubby

Focal 5WS Subwoofers

Focal Coaxial speakers in rear

Focal Polyglass Component Speakers in dash
Old 02-11-2008, 04:37 PM
mtl911sc
Instructor

mtl, I have a line into Benchmark. They seem to know what's up. I'm just wondering if my $2K budget is feasible. Else, I don't want to do it. I'm tired of spending $ on this car.
Roll up & tell them this - you simply want:

1. A solid low-end..modest but solid.
2. A simple front end with quality amplification.

Personally I wouldn't bother with an upgrade at all if it doesn't involve aftermarket amp(s). Running a sub without an amp is wasting your time and $$. Component fronts (separate mids & tweeters) are more expensive to buy & install, but see what's available in a good quality coaxial too. That can save you a bit in both gear and installation expense. Coaxials used to be laughed at, but not any more, take a look:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?..._ID=&sort=high

I had a nice-sounding setup which was based around one small 4-channel amp. Two channels were for the fronts (R&L), and the other two were bridged to a single sub . So it can certainly be done for reasonable cost. Since Benchmark is experienced on these cars, they wouldn't have to re-invent the wheel in designing a sub enclosure, as time is money.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

So that Alpine pdx thing is an amp right? i'll shoot off an email with your bullets.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:58 PM
mtl911sc
Instructor

Just a lot of burned CDs, brother.

Here's what the shop said in response to an email today:

This would be the best route but, I would go with the Alpine PDX amplifier. We will use the Bose enclosure for the 5 inch woofers. Now remember that we don’t cut or, drill anything in your car.

OK, it looks like you have the standard system. The best thing to do without spending a tone of money would be to sound deaden the doors to turn them into an enclosure and replace the door speakers and add an amps that has solid power.

I have done systems in these cars and replacing the 4 inch dash speakers is not worth it. It becomes very tinny and bright.

www.benchmarkmotoring.com

Definitely good advice from them on the dash speakers, not necessary if cost is an issue. Some would say they're not necessary period. Loading up a 911 cockpit with like 20 speakers makes no sense to me, they start to work against each other.

The only thing about deadening the doors and creating a pseudo-sub enclosure is that you'd be back to 6" territory, as I doubt these doors can take 8" components, depth-wise. If they can, then strongly consider it as an option. But even a proper single 8" enclosed sub will give your system a kick that you just can't get from doors alone, even if they are all-out deadened.

Or, you could take their suggestion, get some real good speakers in the doors with a good amp and see how you like it. It could very will fit your needs and would be a big improvement no matter what. Worst case, you may decide you want to add even a single sub later...maybe just ask them how much that would run you.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:14 PM
guzerone
AutoX

I got a Blaupunkt Hamburg MP57 head unit (Bluetooth, USB MP3), a cheap 2 x 120W RMS amp (forgot the brand) and MB Quart 6x9's, not the same a a decent sub but beats 2 6" subs.
I have a 99 C2, I pulled the mini sub enclosures and the factory grills out of the doors and monted the 6x9's, no cutting required. The amp went in place of the factroy amp, some cutting on the wiring was necessary. The Blaupunkt head unit uses the same German DIN style connectors so swapping the head unit was plug and play, even the speed sensitive volume controll worked (until I disabled it..).
If I would do it again, I might pick a beefier amp.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:21 PM
mtl911sc
Instructor

So that Alpine pdx thing is an amp right? i'll shoot off an email with your bullets.
Yeah, they look to be digital amps (class D), but apparently are better than I originally thought. This is a quote from Car Audio & Electronics on a PDX 4.150review, a well-known car audio mag:

"All in all, I was very impressed by this amplifier. Although lacking a little in low-frequency performance, it had stunning sound quality in the low-mid to high frequencies, which is probably what it was designed for.... I think it's a good value, and perfect to drive a higher-end 4-speaker system."

The only thing with Benchmark is that going by their website, their selection of brands is a bit weak. Don't do anything until you shop this somewhere else and get a feel for who you trust more. Sometimes you'd be surprised at how different an approach another shop may take.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Latest

To: benchoi
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2008 2:23 PM
Subject: RE: Stereo

Given that you do not want to spend the money to build a subwoofer enclosure that looks factory (like the one I showed you when you were here,) your best bet is to go with what I was talking about.

The Focal Components

Sound deaden the doors (maximizes bass by creating an enclosure out of the door for solid output)

2ch Alpine amplifier

I would consider replacing the head unit. This will give you a much cleaner signal into the amp and, you can get a cool IPod interface.

I have done this in many application and it sounds great. It is not earthshaking Bass but, it is a quality sound with nice puchy bass.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:44 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get some McIntosh gear...
Old 02-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by ArneeA
Get some McIntosh gear...
you at another level of porsche baller budget i really don't even try to begin to keep up, the only "mac" i can afford is the iPOD Shuffle
Old 02-11-2008, 06:59 PM
ericpike
Track Day

FWIW, I have Focals in the dash with the mini-subs in the doors, but I can't hear much bass. Electronics are alpine head unit and alpine 4 way amp. I do have a fabspeed exhaust, which might be drowning out some of the bass. I've tried different settings without luck, but maybe I'm doing something wrong

Eric
Old 02-11-2008, 07:30 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you at another level of porsche baller budget i really don't even try to begin to keep up, the only "mac" i can afford is the iPOD Shuffle
Hey I don't even have an iPod!

but in all seriousness, the suggestions above are great, especially for a $2k budget.

Although I'd still say change the H/U to something with high voltage pre-outs so you don't have to buy a hi-lo converter instead of the suggestion of keeping the stock H/U
Old 02-11-2008, 07:30 PM
flash80
Instructor

I'd tend to agree with your shop. If you're looking to spend $2k, go with a quality set of components and a nice amp.

With the 996's you should be able to fit a 3-way system...tweet and 3.5" in the dash with 6.5" in the doors. I have a set of CDT's in my crappy Integra (the tweet and 3.5" are in kick panels, 6.5" in doors). They are powered by an old school Zapco amp along with 2 12" Eclipse Aluminum subs on another Zapco amp. Sounds pretty darn good...probably a bit much though--I'm too old to be shaking the neighborhood.

Focals are very nice--I find the poly lines a bit harsh in the highs. Utopias are awesome though. I had some dynaudio comps that were great. As previously posted, watch out for the MBQs, the highs are super harsh. If you're looking for punchy bass, consider Image Dynamics as well. They make some 6.5" midbasses that are fantastic.

I switched the deck out of my C4S to a Kenwood double din unit b/c I wanted the Nav--it actually blends fairly well (too bad the lights aren't amber). It sounds decent hooked into the Bose system--but nothing spectacular. I will say that I really enjoy having speakers in the dash--the soundstage is automatically up high. I may switch the amps and speakers in the future--but I'm too cheap right now.

Good luck--car audio is addictive, I just don't have time for it!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket sound system recommendations, please