Originally Posted by waipahu996
My Spice Girls CD sounds awesome LOL

im sold
Old 02-20-2008, 01:21 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

update

so the system is installed. they did a great job and the sound thru the ipod is better than thru the cd and the controls are as quick as if i was pushing buttons on the ipod itself.

i don't need an enclosure as the door acting as the enclosure is enough bass to keep my head bobbin to the beats. i actually spent a little more and went with the 4x150 pdx.

thx for your help guys.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:33 AM
viper501
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd suggest a new head unit so you can enjoy the *massive* upgrades in input choices over the past several years, not to mention the quality of the actual signal to the amp. I used what was then the top of the line consumer Alpine head unit and have been happy with its low profile looks and plethora of inputs. I used Focal components in the dash and door locations.

I used coaxials in the back seat area strictly for fill but would alter that if I were you. Instead of using the stock back seat speaker locations for a coax fill, try using the JL 6W0's. With some finagling you should be able to put them in the stock location for a stealth look. The advantage is no obvious box, no loss of space in the passenger compartment, and decent bass response. Granted, it won't thump you down the road but my experience with a single 6W0 was very good. I've been seriously contemplating this option myself.

If you absolutely have to have the rear fill speakers, it would be very easy to fabricate a mounting location under the rear edge of the back glass (esp. if you don't have the rear wiper).

Just my thoughts.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:35 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

vip, i did get an apline head unit not sure exactly which one
Old 02-20-2008, 01:37 AM
viper501
Instructor

I guess I should have read the whole thread before tossing in my two cents. Went back and read the system you decided on. Very nice. Need to toss up some pics when you get time.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

hey ben,
nice system man, please post pics when ur done since i think we'll be using a lot of the same components
Old 02-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
hey ben,
nice system man, please post pics when ur done since i think we'll be using a lot of the same components
I'm grateful for everyone's help here. I couldn't/wouldn't have done it without you. I'm new to all this so the guidance has been exquisite. It's the least I can do to loop back and share my results with you.

Overall, the sound thumps and I can easily crank it to health hazard zone. I tend to listen to mostly rap with classical/trance thrown in here and there. I'm happy with the addition thump and pop.

Without further adieu, here are the pics:

Here's how the Alpine headunit sits inside the car

Here's how the amp sits in the trunk (good for you C2 guys with the bigger trunk)

Here's the Alpine PDX 4x150 sitting on a custom bracket

Here's the wiring (looks clean)

Rainbow Brite (iPod action is instantaneous and the connection is run into the glove box)

Old 02-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

looks good man.
how are you running the speakers? rears off the deck and everything else has its own channel?
Old 02-20-2008, 11:45 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

correct -
Old 02-21-2008, 12:00 AM
viper501
Instructor

Ben, looks nice. Has Alpine discontinued the user specified lighting choices or is that just something you haven't done yet?
Old 02-21-2008, 02:08 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by viper501
Ben, looks nice. Has Alpine discontinued the user specified lighting choices or is that just something you haven't done yet?
i haven't messed with it much other than the basic bass/treble/balance/fader settings.

any tips? i don't mind the lighting now, but would prefer it to be all red.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Tonger
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Speaker # request?

Ben,

The new system looks sweet and I'll bet it sounds terrific. Did you ever get a chance to check on the speaker model #'s? I'm looking to do something similar but can't find the 3 ways components in the Focal polykevlar line.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2008, 10:16 PM
viper501
Instructor

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
i haven't messed with it much other than the basic bass/treble/balance/fader settings.

any tips? i don't mind the lighting now, but would prefer it to be all red.
On my unit, you can adjust the key lighting in an (almost) infinite number of colors. It is in the setup section. Suggest you check Alpine's site for that model. You can probably also use Alpine's web site to create a preprogrammed setting for the specific speaker spacing. I also understand that some of the newer units will also allow user specific backgrounds to be created, assuming you want that bling.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:47 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I think only those six square keys can be changed. I have almost the same unit, and the secondary controls are all red, all the time. The big keys can be blue, red, orange, green...

The manuals can be downloaded from Alpine's site. Any questions, just ask, cuz I've just been through the ridiculous learning curve on mine, which is only the next model up. Some of the settings are pretty subtle (time correction) and some actually make a massive difference to the sound (MX mode added about a thousand bucks to the sound, IMHO).
Old 02-21-2008, 11:33 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

sir bruce,

-how do i change the 6 keys to red?

-the mids sound kinda hollow right now as i have a lot of bass... any way to hear more powerful vocals? i have no idea what mx mode is and how to get there

any other tips?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket sound system recommendations, please