Sponsored by:

Aftermarket sound system recommendations, please

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ArneeA
I had an S2k (AP1 w/ comptech, cusco, H&R, etc), and E46 M3 w/ Brembos, Dinan Stage II, AFE etc...

The CD400 has user-selectable display colors between green and amber for buttons and display, separately...so 4 combinations total.

I'll take a pic of my Nak H/U and post it up online... matches the interior amber perfectly at night.

More info on other Nak H/U's: http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...&category_id=8
You and I have similar taste in cars, not necessarily mods.

Thx for your help.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob in WA
Ben -- Here's what I did:

Audison 340 watt amp ( built in crossover - head unit powers rears )

Audison VSR - Sub woofer control in rear center console cubby

Focal 5WS Subwoofers

Focal Coaxial speakers in rear

Focal Polyglass Component Speakers in dash

I'm thinking for hip-hop you'll probably want a bigger sub, especially if you don't care about the back seats.
It's almost like I don't need additional bass since the music provides so much of it already do you know what I'm saying?

Maybe I don't even need the dedicated sub in the back. I wish I could hear your sound system to set a baseline.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:54 PM
mtl911sc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

If I may make a suggestion to someone who has an eye for quality

I don't have many posts but am well-researched when it comes to home and car audio, and have done a few installs in my own cars as well.

Whatever you do Ben, spend the on speakers. MBs are not quite the same "ultra high-end" name as they were 10-15 years ago, but are very good compared to others nonetheless. Focal Utopias are one of the "holy grail" speakers, or check out top-line Rainbows if you want to drop BIG $$ (I'm talking 5 digits here). I've never owned either of these, but they are worshipped by those who have them.

The question to ask yourself so that you're not disappointed later - do I want soft dome (silk) or metal tweeters? I once had a set of top-line MBs and found the highs were just too harsh no matter how I EQ'd the system, and so in subsequent installs -as well as in my home - I went with silk domes and have never looked back. With equally good amplification you can crank it and it just gets louder, not harsher. Of course, those who know will tell you that proper speaker placement is as critical as anything else, and there are many schools of thought around that subject.

Actually, I recently installed a set of CDT separates in one of my other cars, and am very happy with them. They are also highly regarded, but I had to warm up to them since they have a bit more "bling" than I like (red or yellow speaker frames). If MBs fit your car best, then so be it, but they only come with titanium tweeters to my knowledge.

Last thing, if you want to spend the extra, go for class AB amplification all around, even for your sub(s). I know that Class D (digital) amps are popular for the low-end/sub since the price/power ratio is better, but again you can't beat the sheer musicality of old-school, preferably US-made, Class AB amps...they pound out nice, tight bass which seems to be your preference. Try to compare if you can.

Good luck with your system & enjoy the results.

Paul
Old 02-11-2008, 02:00 PM
mtl911sc
Instructor

Sorry, forgot to notice your target of $2K including installation...

So we forget about the Rainbows, but the same stuff applies - 1. Spend as much as you can on the speakers, and 2. Get some good amplification. Keep in mind that good doesn't necessarily mean big wattage. It's a small interior after all!

P
Old 02-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by mtl911sc
Sorry, forgot to notice your target of $2K including installation...

So we forget about the Rainbows, but the same stuff applies - 1. Spend as much as you can on the speakers, and 2. Get some good amplification. Keep in mind that good doesn't necessarily mean big wattage. It's a small interior after all!

P
Yes, I was going to say, please consider my budget.

I like Rob's approach because:

1) The car isn't a symphony hall
2) More with less

And a 3) for me is that I am not an audiophile and even the source is usually just burned CDs from iTunes tracks.

I just want more oomph behind the sound and bigger bass than what the stock system provides. I also don't like the harshness of the stock treble cuz it does the auto volume adjust as speeds climb and I end up turning it down a bit. I don't feel like I'm in a cocoon of sound with the stock system or any other system I had in any of my other previous rides.

Low expectations, really, but would be cool if I ended up feeling like why didn't I do this sooner?

I want a tight bass, not a boomy rock the windows bass effect.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob in WA
Ben -- Here's what I did:

Audison 340 watt amp ( built in crossover - head unit powers rears )

Audison VSR - Sub woofer control in rear center console cubby

Focal 5WS Subwoofers

Focal Coaxial speakers in rear

Focal Polyglass Component Speakers in dash

I'm thinking for hip-hop you'll probably want a bigger sub, especially if you don't care about the back seats.

So you think 1 6" sub in the back would be fine?
Old 02-11-2008, 02:36 PM
mtl911sc
Instructor

Get two 6's or even two 8's and wire them to a 2-channel amp. Or get one 4-ch amp and use 2 for the main fronts and the others for the subs. Two subs don't have to give more volume, but they will give more impact for sure, even at lower volumes.

Don't even bother with "rear fill", esp. on a 911 interior. If the sound is quality then you absolutely don't need to waste the $. The ideal in car audio is to achieve a sound stage in front of you, as if it's on the dash or the front hood. Rear fill does nothing to help, unless you have a sedan, SUV etc. and carry rear passengers regularly.

Most good installers should concur with the above.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

So MTL, you're actually recommending don't even bother getting subs in the back seats, just get the 4ch amp and use the fronts to get the same effect? Kinda like Rob's setup, though I think he is considering getting a rear sub?

I value your input here so thx.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:44 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
So you think 1 6" sub in the back would be fine?
You'd probably want to go with two subs, and not as small as 6". I'd go with two 8s to avoid the "midrangey" feel of 6" subs.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:58 PM
mtl911sc
Instructor

Originally Posted by tooloud10
You'd probably want to go with two subs, and not as small as 6". I'd go with two 8s to avoid the "midrangey" feel of 6" subs.
Absolutely agree here.

Ben, you'd simply want two fronts, and two 8's in the rear for your bottom-end. This could be done with a good 4-ch amp, or two 2-ch amps. It doesn't take much power to properly drive 8s.

The key is to match the fronts & subs, because what you want to do is take the lower-frequency load off the fronts and just let them carry the mids & highs. For example, you wouldn't want to have 4" fronts and a 12" sub, because you'd end up with a frequency gap that would sound like -ss.

This is how a crossover comes into play, and you should be able to find a 4-ch amp which has a built-in subwoofer crossover. if you're shopping at a place which installs too, they would likely suggest this to keep cost lower. That said, best-quality sound would come from two small dedicated amps - one for the front and another for the subs.

Hey, I know you're not an audiophile listening to classical music, but good sound is good sound! A major benefit is being able to go for extended periods without listening fatigue.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Dominick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only opine on what I have done and the mistake that I made.

I purchased a nice Sony Stereo because it had a very good sound quality, Bluetooth for phone and MP3 player and an Ipod jack in the front face plate.

I love the radio and the sound but if I had to do it again I would rethink 2 issues

1 - I don’t like that the unit only glows "blue" and doesn't match the rest of the dash lights
2 - Bluetooth connection for the phone is basically useless due to road noise

Hope that helps
Old 02-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by mtl911sc
Absolutely agree here.

Ben, you'd simply want two fronts, and two 8's in the rear for your bottom-end. This could be done with a good 4-ch amp, or two 2-ch amps. It doesn't take much power to properly drive 8s.

The key is to match the fronts & subs, because what you want to do is take the lower-frequency load off the fronts and just let them carry the mids & highs. For example, you wouldn't want to have 4" fronts and a 12" sub, because you'd end up with a frequency gap that would sound like -ss.

This is how a crossover comes into play, and you should be able to find a 4-ch amp which has a built-in subwoofer crossover. if you're shopping at a place which installs too, they would likely suggest this to keep cost lower. That said, best-quality sound would come from two small dedicated amps - one for the front and another for the subs.

Hey, I know you're not an audiophile listening to classical music, but good sound is good sound! A major benefit is being able to go for extended periods without listening fatigue.
true true thx for setting me straight loud and mtl.

So two 8s in the back means I need to add some sort of enclosure and give up my back seats correct? i'm just trying to have some knowledge beforehand so i can go to the installer with some sort of framework around what i want given my budget.

So like Rob's setup + two 8s?
Old 02-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ben - there's sub boxes that you don't have to give up your back seats. Some are removable too.

Some ideas from here:

http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/porsche.htm

Old 02-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

the price keeps going up! can i realistically stay under $2K installed with the 2 8s in the back + what mtl is recommending?
Old 02-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I shoved an Infinity Basslink II behind the seat backs, it was wedged in there nicely. Had powerful bass but the bass was not low as I wanted. It would punch you in the back but couldnt reach those sub-40 HZ give or take frequencies well.

Had a Kenwood HU and it sounded pretty good for a $500 total package cost.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket sound system recommendations, please