996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

SON DOES NOT WANT THE 03 TARGA :-(

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 01:50 AM
ls911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the popular opinions here. Mine is 16 and a very good kid as well. Even though I can buy him a nice car (no 996 or NSX level) I am forcing him to work for one. I will help him if the grades remain good (pay half). At 19, no matter how good, he has limited experienced and maturity. A super high performance car will be pushed by a young man, what else is he supposed to do. This could be a bad combo. I fully understand that it is hard to put "giving" in check when a parent is blessed with so much.
With all that said I can't believe he would turn down a P-car offer, that alone speaks loudly.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:55 AM
RyanPerrella
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UH!

HELLO, did you read the article about the 18 year old doing top speed runs in his dads M5 that killed himself and his 4 friends. You think that father didnt think his son was responsible and all that yada yada.

And sorry, but your son is one spoiled SOB to be telling you the Targa wont cut it.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:07 AM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I couldn't imagine giving a 19 yo a 911 or NSX (a great car BTW). Think of how you drove when you were that age- too fast, invincible, and irresponsible.
Originally Posted by RyanPerrella

And sorry, but your son is one spoiled SOB to be telling you the Targa wont cut it.
+1
Old 01-31-2008, 02:10 AM
Duane993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adopt me. I'll take it.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:17 AM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RyanPerrella
UH!

HELLO, did you read the article about the 18 year old doing top speed runs in his dads M5 that killed himself and his 4 friends. You think that father didnt think his son was responsible and all that yada yada.

Exactly, that was a real tragedy.
http://www.ocala.com/article/2008012.../BREAKING_NEWS

Geez, you are just asking for trouble with any 19 yo.
-- Don't give him anything with 300hp or more.

If he wants a Honda, get him a whacked-out Civic with a bunch of cheesey add-ons.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:42 AM
ls911
Pro

A side note/clarification, and believe me I am not the sensitive type at all, my wife can second that.
I can handle someone saying my son is spoiled, and this is true to a certain level. But if somebody called my son a spoiled SOB to my face, I would loose my ****. On a post, well...what could I do, write of my anger.
I know no insult to that degree was the intention, and do hope RJMDAD996 is understanding of no disrespect intended.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:53 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

well i got mine when i was 20... so whats the "Hot Fuzz"?
Old 01-31-2008, 02:55 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Guy buys his daughter a new car for her 16th birthday. When the girl sees it, she complains to her dad she wanted a black car, not a red car. Dad says, "Oh, that's ok, I can still take it back." Daughter says "You're the best, daddy."
Dad returns the car.

Moral of the story: When you're 19 and didn't pay for the car, be grateful with what's given to you.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:55 AM
RyanPerrella
Nordschleife Master

I would tell you and your son to his face. I laugh at kids that are 16, 17, 18, and driving daddy's toys.

I get annoyed when you ask how they got it which is an obvious question and they say, oh i work. Sorry, no kid in school works enough to be able to pay for a $50,000 car. The kids dont appreciate it because they didnt have to work for it.

Not to pick a fight here, but if i saw a kid in a car he obviously didn't earn and walked around like a punk I wouldn't hold back. Of course if your son is a well mannered kid, respectful of others then thats great. But kids in expensive cars dont act that way, they get cocky and act like ******, then they are racing on onramps and weaving in and out of traffic late at night cause they think they are invincible.

There was the kid 2 days ago and the M5, but a year ago there was a girl in So Cal somewhere and she got in a fight with daddy and sped off in dads porsche and then there were pictures of her exploded head all over the net. Did we forget about her as well?

Sorry, kids and fast cars DONT MIX! PERIOD! I dont care who you are, who your kid is, how good of a driver you think he is. They dont have enough experience and make rash decisions when it comes to driving, and its not just their lives at stake, its the people they share the roads with that are at risk too.

Giving a kid a Porsche is one thing, which i think is stupid in itself. But giving a kid an NSX because he wont take the Porsche, well that sounds like a spoiled kid to me. Whats this now going to cost. You dont need the targa or dont like it so sure keep it in the family so you dont have to take a hit selling it now. But if he cant be bothered to take it, then you have to sell it, advertise it, loose money on that. Then buy some jokers NSX which will probably cost more anyway. Not to mention its a much older car and you will also be stuck with the repair bills, and the tubo or SC that has to be added, cause an NSX aint fast enough as it is of course. yada yada yada

Good luck with this one.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:00 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

judgment aside, I just so happened to spend 30 minutes today comparing service costs and intervals with an NSX owner on santa monica, and while a half an hour is not exhaustive, the following generalizations can be made:

1. They are expensive to insure, comparatively
2. They don't break very often, but...
3. ...when they do, parts are an arm and a leg (including clutches, relevant to sponsor of younger driver)
4. Service intervals are infrequent and inexpensive.

Subjectively, I do think the car's styling is dated, although having it next to the 911 does make you realize how much lower those NSXs were, they definitely have a distinct visual impact, and look "special". Their reputation for reliability approaches legend, but I would take that with a grain of salt. Reliability on an older vehicle is more about that car in particular, not the make and model, so a pre purchase inspection is advisable. Don't buy a car thats had a lot of track time, major mods, especially ecu/injectors/nitrous (you'll be surprise at how 'hopped up' these second hand NSXs are as a percentage compared to 911s.) run a carfax, these things don't get right after a crash.

Objectively, it's down on power and more neutral, unless he tries to drop in a turbo I think it would be harder to wrap around a tree. They also hold value remarkably well, low volume, same product for years, etc. Should a new body style ever come out you may take a hit, but all these things depreciate.

If I were you, I would get him a performance driving school safety course before giving him the keys, so he can explore in a safe environment and get serious instruction in how to stay away from trees, and if you'll be subsidizing maintenance, a good third party honda mechanic and a cheap source of parts. I don't know if i'd put gps/tracking in, but i'd tell him it was there just for laughs later!

He'll come around by the time he's done with college and realize he should have taken the 911, but thats just part of growing up!
Old 01-31-2008, 03:03 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would like to hear from your son himself.
Could he log on?
Old 01-31-2008, 03:17 AM
RyanPerrella
Nordschleife Master

Good point about the targa being a ****ty track car.

A glass roof aint ideal for a track car where center of gravity is important.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:29 AM
johnathan1
Advanced

I'm 19, and I would kill for a 911 targa...what is your son thinking?? he wants a Honda so he can be a ricer??
Old 01-31-2008, 03:34 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my 79 911SC at age 19 because my dad told me when I was 10 that he wasn't going to buy me a car. I saved, invested, reinvested, and had a nice chunk of change from summer jobs by age 19, and bought a "beater" 911. Was I a punk back then? Absolutely not. However, I did some crazy things in that car as I learned my "driving bounds". Your son will too. Please be careful. That M5 incident in Florida was a reminder to all of us...

Now an NSX over a Targa? No way! That is crazy talk!

-B
Old 01-31-2008, 03:35 AM
AdrianGT
3rd Gear

the NSX is a daily drivable kinda sub super car. they are wicked quick for a N/A v6 but exhaust systems tend to be hard to do it it and don't gain you much. can't really do much to make them faster short of a super charger or some kind of turbo system. but they handle amazingly well and i've seen them girl a 911 a run for it's money on the tracks.
the NSX is an amazing car
as for you're son wanting one over a 911, well that's up to him, i'm sure he has his reasons i just hope it's not an outside influence telling him a porsche can't be modified or that he saw a crazy NSX and thinks he could build one just like it.

jsut my 2 cents

Quick Reply: SON DOES NOT WANT THE 03 TARGA :-(