Sponsored by:

SON DOES NOT WANT THE 03 TARGA :-(

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 04:00 AM
ls911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanPerrella
I would tell you and your son to his face. I laugh at kids that are 16, 17, 18, and driving daddy's toys.

I get annoyed when you ask how they got it which is an obvious question and they say, oh i work. Sorry, no kid in school works enough to be able to pay for a $50,000 car. The kids dont appreciate it because they didnt have to work for it.

Not to pick a fight here, but if i saw a kid in a car he obviously didn't earn and walked around like a punk I wouldn't hold back. Of course if your son is a well mannered kid, respectful of others then thats great. But kids in expensive cars dont act that way, they get cocky and act like ******, then they are racing on onramps and weaving in and out of traffic late at night cause they think they are invincible.

There was the kid 2 days ago and the M5, but a year ago there was a girl in So Cal somewhere and she got in a fight with daddy and sped off in dads porsche and then there were pictures of her exploded head all over the net. Did we forget about her as well?

Sorry, kids and fast cars DONT MIX! PERIOD! I dont care who you are, who your kid is, how good of a driver you think he is. They dont have enough experience and make rash decisions when it comes to driving, and its not just their lives at stake, its the people they share the roads with that are at risk too.

Giving a kid a Porsche is one thing, which i think is stupid in itself. But giving a kid an NSX because he wont take the Porsche, well that sounds like a spoiled kid to me. Whats this now going to cost. You dont need the targa or dont like it so sure keep it in the family so you dont have to take a hit selling it now. But if he cant be bothered to take it, then you have to sell it, advertise it, loose money on that. Then buy some jokers NSX which will probably cost more anyway. Not to mention its a much older car and you will also be stuck with the repair bills, and the tubo or SC that has to be added, cause an NSX aint fast enough as it is of course. yada yada yada

Good luck with this one.
So you don't have any class after all, no big surprise.
You don't know **** of him and his son or me and my son for that matter. Spoiled? yes, fine say so, I agreed and stated so myself.
But to call a Fathers son a SOB is simply wrong even behind your keyboard.
I was giving you the benifit of a doubt, to bad I was mistaken.
Apparently it is easy for you to type crap from your home, must make you feel like a big man.
You probably don't have kids, even if you do, at 28 you have much to learn and go through yourself.
Not all punks are spoiled, there are far worse punks than those young kids who drive das's car, as you have demonstrated so well.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:01 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The boy realizes Porsches attract men's attention quicker than women's.. Smart man.. lol!

Originally Posted by BrandX
Boy, that seems a bit tough. A 19 year old turns down a Porsche, hoping for an NSX. I wish I'd been there at 19.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:26 AM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My .02 - it's your kid. Buy him whatever the hell you want to. Only you will have to deal with the joys and consequences of your decision, not this board.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:29 AM
viper501
Instructor

I think Jasper's analysis is pretty accurate. But I still think that you should adopt me and give me the Targa. I'll even wash your Turbo for you, as every good kid should do.

OTOH, I'd *seriously* think about the crash worthiness of each car before committing to it. It will get crashed.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:36 AM
apterr
Racer

I have two sons who recently passed through the 19 year old turnstile. The first one was All-American boy but he didn't know (or care to know) anything about how to maintain a car. He neglected his first car and went car-less for fours years until graduating from college (even though he went to school 8 hours away). His graduation gift from college was a 2 yr old Ford Explorer which he now stays on top of.
Enter son number 2. By the time he was ready to drive, my STS was already 10 years old. I kept it just because I figured I have two teenage sons. When they have their first accident(s), I want them to be driving a big vehicle. He didn't disappoint. On Sept 3, 2003 while driving to his high school, he hit a telephone pole head on. Very fortunately, he and his passenger (his best friend since kindergarten) had their safety belts on. Also very fortunately, the vehicle struck the pole off center of the middle of the front bumper, causing the car to spin. It ended up 10 yards further than the broken pole, facing the opposite direction. The pole actually saved their lives I believe, because had they not hit the pole they would have gone down a 10-15 foot culvert and face planted the car. At 45 miles per hour they would have had the full impact of that. He said he had just checked the time on his cell phone and when his eyes returned to the road it was too late to avoid the pole (thank God). That pole is less than 1/2 mile from my home. Every time I drive by it I thank God for totaling my car and the pole and giving us my son and his friend.

The point of my story? I have no idea what the safety statistics are on the NSX compared to the 911 but since I didn't see any reference to safety after reading all preceding posts on this subject (the subject immediately caught my eye because of the above) I thought I would throw that in. It is not a case of "If he has his first automobile accident..." God Bless you and your families as he has mine.

Andy T
Ps. A business code of conduct that has worked successfully since the beginning of time is... "Address the issue(s), never attack the individual." Perhaps we can adopt this as our code of conduct when posting on this site.

Last edited by apterr; 01-31-2008 at 09:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-31-2008, 09:36 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Apterr: Great idea for that code. Very well put. Thank you for that.

The issue at hand: NSX is a great car. Reliable, stylish and a solid platform. The same goes for the NSX as does a Porsche. The newer, the better. There were small updates to the car the design went through its tenure.

On another note...Way too much car for 19 year old. Unless that 19 year old has significant car control training, racing experience and responsibility. While terrible, please remember that poor 18yr old girl from California and the Porsche she wrapped around a toll booth. Those horrific photos are forever burned into my mind. I will never forget them.

Just my opinion. Each to their own I guess...and yes, I am a Dad too.

C.

Last edited by Chads996; 01-31-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:40 AM
apterr
Racer

+1 Viper. It must have taken me more than 7 minutes to write my post!
Old 01-31-2008, 09:59 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanPerrella
Good point about the targa being a ****ty track car.

A glass roof aint ideal for a track car where center of gravity is important.
If your track mate is Michael Schumacher, don't start with an '03 Targa. If your track mate is a balding dentist alternating behind the driver's seat with his third wife, the Targa will work just fine.

While I don't have any figures in front of me, I've been told those carbon fiber roof skins on the BMW M-cars are more for pretty looks than actually lowering the center of gravity much.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:19 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

nsx is a great car, similar years, it is very comparable to a 996 with the porsche having a very slight advantage on corners...
GL luck to you, let us know what you decide to do...
Old 01-31-2008, 10:36 AM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Personally I think if a parent is giving a son/daughter a car, it should be a regular car.

That in itself is generous, as is often the most valuable posession a person of that age might own. If this is given rather than earned, it can set a perception of the value of money.

Whatever you decide, consider the speed and safety of the vehicle.

Read the article on the M5.

I say let your son get a job and buy a car for himself, and perhaps put some money towards it if you wish to do so.

Good luck in your decision.

Plus, I am sure the NSX is reliable, and I hear its an excellent drivers car.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:42 AM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Hey Zook,

No offense....but who paid for your car and what do you do for a living.

Originally Posted by Zookie
well i got mine when i was 20... so whats the "Hot Fuzz"?
Old 01-31-2008, 12:07 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

It's funny to see folks tell a grown *** man, with a 19 year old son, that basically raised his child in a Porsche to get the boy a Yugo. I guess it is true, opinions are like *** holes because this board certainly has plenty.. lol!
Old 01-31-2008, 12:08 PM
vrinner
Advanced

In one of the clubs that I race with, there is this 18 year old (at the time, it was a couple of years ago), that had really proven himself. Great kid, great driver, very respectful of everyone on the track. We ran an enduro and I think it was his first one. They won their class and after the cool down lap he proceeds to do donuts on the front straight (which no one ever does at our events). He ends up clipping one of the retaining walls. He was OK. Car was not hurt to bad.

I guess what I'm saying is that even though he had proven him self time and time again on the track as being responsible and very capable, he got caught up in the moment.

I had thought about an NSX before I got my Porsche but went with the Porsche because I liked the "class" of the car. If I were 19, I'd probably take the NSX.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:10 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rotokim
More unsolicited advice - 19 year old with porsche or nsx is trouble; no matter how good he is. Although I've often wondered if my kids could handle the responsiblity when they're older if they participated in track events or DE...
Not always true. I've been tracking and DDing high HP RWD cars since i was 16/17. If the kid respects the car, and understands how much **** he will be in and how much it costs to repair things, it helps keep em smart Having said that though, you're entitled to your opinion as much as I am mine and i will concede that a lot of kids shouldn't be behind the wheel of a high HP RWD car, but some do just fine.

to answer the original poster's question regarding the performance of the cars and not his parenting abilities (which are really non of our business):

The stock NSX vs. a stock targa: I think it is close. the 996's are more powerful and faster, but handle in that "911" sort of way, which is to say not as good as the NSX. the 996 should be faster overall because of its additional grunt.

it shouldn't be too hard finding one to test drive since they have a habit of sitting around on lots. In my opinion, get an older gen one when they still had the flipup headlights, the new style headlights are just Pug Fugly in my opinion.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:21 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by apterr
I have two sons who recently passed through the 19 year old turnstile. The first one was All-American boy but he didn't know (or care to know) anything about how to maintain a car. He neglected his first car and went car-less for fours years until graduating from college (even though he went to school 8 hours away). His graduation gift from college was a 2 yr old Ford Explorer which he now stays on top of.
Enter son number 2. By the time he was ready to drive, my STS was already 10 years old. I kept it just because I figured I have two teenage sons. When they have their first accident(s), I want them to be driving a big vehicle. He didn't disappoint. On Sept 3, 2003 while driving to his high school, he hit a telephone pole head on. Very fortunately, he and his passenger (his best friend since kindergarten) had their safety belts on. Also very fortunately, the vehicle struck the pole off center of the middle of the front bumper, causing the car to spin. It ended up 10 yards further than the broken pole, facing the opposite direction. The pole actually saved their lives I believe, because had they not hit the pole they would have gone down a 10-15 foot culvert and face planted the car. At 45 miles per hour they would have had the full impact of that. He said he had just checked the time on his cell phone and when his eyes returned to the road it was too late to avoid the pole (thank God). That pole is less than 1/2 mile from my home. Every time I drive by it I thank God for totaling my car and the pole and giving us my son and his friend.

The point of my story? I have no idea what the safety statistics are on the NSX compared to the 911 but since I didn't see any reference to safety after reading all preceding posts on this subject (the subject immediately caught my eye because of the above) I thought I would throw that in. It is not a case of "If he has his first automobile accident..." God Bless you and your families as he has mine.

Andy T
Ps. A business code of conduct that has worked successfully since the beginning of time is... "Address the issue(s), never attack the individual." Perhaps we can adopt this as our code of conduct when posting on this site.

A very well written post, and a good point regarding the saftey issue of the two cars.
Many board members here have unfortunatly been involved in track/street accidents but fortunatly just about all of them have walked away. The 996 is a VERY safe car, especially with a rear rollbar installed.

I'm not so sure about the NSX on the other hand as it was made during that era of 90's japanese sports cars, where aluminium sheeting thin enough to dent when you slammed a door was used for maximum performance. The cars (my experience with RX-7's mostly) crumple like tin, which is good in the sense that it removes the stresses from teh crash away from the body and dissipates them within the car, but if he hits something hard enough or takes a hit to the side square in the door (specifically the door because there's a really huge steel member running across teh dash area), that could be bad news bears.

My advice would be to try to avoid having him speed (excessivly) on the road. Drill it into his head. We all do 10-15 over, but re-enforce the point that if he gets a 25 over ticket, you'll yank his keys.

Sign up for track days, maybe something you can do as father/son activities? You in the Targa or something, vs. him in the NSX and then you can trash talk each other afterwards about who was fastest thru Turn 3 .

Quick Reply: SON DOES NOT WANT THE 03 TARGA :-(