996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

SON DOES NOT WANT THE 03 TARGA :-(

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008 | 02:47 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

PS.

I think we are all afraid your son may be like Zookie. I hope your son is nothing at all like Zookie, RJMDAD996. Just see my previous post.
Old 01-31-2008 | 02:50 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Palting
PS.

I think we are all afraid your son may be like Zookie. I hope your son is nothing at all like Zookie, RJMDAD996. Just see my previous post.

lol i guess then he wont have that car for very long, probely wrapped up around a tree...
Old 01-31-2008 | 03:05 PM
67FJ45
Pro

Tough choice, but they're different cars for sure. I've driven both and own a 996. The NSX I have driven is one of the older models, so I cannot speak about a later model, but I don't think they have changed much over the years. In my experience, the 996 is faster, the NSX is easier to drive. NSX is very neutral, more like a Boxster. If he's going to AX, get the NSX. For DEs, I think the Targa is a good start, but the NSX would be fine.

The 996 is more practical; there's room for more than your briefcase. Routine maintenance should be about the same cost, but the earlier comments about NSX spare parts are telling and accurate.

Regarding his age, it's your call about giving him a nice car (I have teenagers and am often faced with decisions like this, too). There's a father/son pair that frequents our local Porsche club DEs. The father drives a 3-series BMW, the son (19 years old) drives a new Lotus Elise. The son is mature, respectful, and one heck of a driver. He has told me he likes the track because it makes him realize that driving fast on the street is for stooges, while driving on the track is safer and more fun. So if I could give you any advice, it's to get him some high performance driving experience. If he spends time at the track, perhaps he'll be bored with speed on the street.
Old 01-31-2008 | 03:08 PM
apterr
Racer

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
A very well written post, and a good point regarding the saftey issue of the two cars.
Many board members here have unfortunatly been involved in track/street accidents but fortunatly just about all of them have walked away. The 996 is a VERY safe car, especially with a rear rollbar installed.

I'm not so sure about the NSX on the other hand as it was made during that era of 90's japanese sports cars, where aluminium sheeting thin enough to dent when you slammed a door was used for maximum performance. The cars (my experience with RX-7's mostly) crumple like tin, which is good in the sense that it removes the stresses from teh crash away from the body and dissipates them within the car, but if he hits something hard enough or takes a hit to the side square in the door (specifically the door because there's a really huge steel member running across teh dash area), that could be bad news bears.

My advice would be to try to avoid having him speed (excessivly) on the road. Drill it into his head. We all do 10-15 over, but re-enforce the point that if he gets a 25 over ticket, you'll yank his keys.

Sign up for track days, maybe something you can do as father/son activities? You in the Targa or something, vs. him in the NSX and then you can trash talk each other afterwards about who was fastest thru Turn 3 .
Originally Posted by Zookie
awwwwwwww... Acceptance is one of teh stages of Denial
What?! ... Acceptance is the final of 4 stages of overcoming grief or any other major change thrown at you. Denial is one of the first stages.
Old 01-31-2008 | 03:13 PM
ls911
Pro

Originally Posted by RyanPerrella
"So you don't have any class after all, no big surprise.
You don't know **** of him and his son or me and my son for that matter. Spoiled? yes, fine say so, I agreed and stated so myself.
But to call a Fathers son a SOB is simply wrong even behind your keyboard.
I was giving you the benifit of a doubt, to bad I was mistaken.
Apparently it is easy for you to type crap from your home, must make you feel like a big man.
You probably don't have kids, even if you do, at 28 you have much to learn and go through yourself.
Not all punks are spoiled, there are far worse punks than those young kids who drive das's car, as you have demonstrated so well."

ls911

I said the kid was spoiled, you yourself have admitted the same thing? So why are you mad? You share the same opinion I do, whats the problem?

And as for SOB, it was said tongue in cheek, relax, it wasnt even directed at you. It also wasnt meant as an insult.
I stand by what i said and you too seem to agree with me.

So is there really any issue here?

cheers
The issue is simple.
The opinions and advice given were all meant in good intentions with no disrespect in mind with the exception of your SOB comment. When I attempted to "smooth" things out so the OP does not take the SOB remark wrong, you came back with "I would tell you and your son to his face"
Your points made of being spoiled were quickly discredited with this show of a personal attack.
I happen to grow up in a very poor/rough neighborhood just outside Mexico City.
I have unfortunately seen and been through much worse than "spoiled kids" and hold no "strong" opinions against them or their parents.
The big mistakes made were passing judgment without knowing the individuals and doing so by insulting ones family/son (son of a bitch is not taken lightly by all).
Were I am from and raised, you simply would not last long if you did so to ones face.
Claiming you would do so from the comfort of your home is a display of cowardly ignorance.
Old 01-31-2008 | 03:17 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by apterr
What?! ... Acceptance is the final of 4 stages of overcoming grief or any other major change thrown at you. Denial is one of the first stages.

wow dont you watch Dr. Phil?
Old 01-31-2008 | 03:34 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

I predict this will be one of the longest post in Rennlist history.
It will also identify the 2 different kind of P car owners out there....the passionate ones and the rest.
I'm pretty sure you know who you are...its is emotionally challenging to be passionate about something that is given to you. So now that we are clear, the question is why do we have members that are not passionate about their P cars on this forum? And some wonder why I don't bother attending any get togethers.

Back to the original post...I don't know or care but it is obvious that this member doesn't realize that his post is disturbing. If he had rephrased his question, he would have gotten his answers without any flag.

Ingorance is bliss because it's easier to support something blindly than exploring all the options. It's also easier to act on instinct and learned behaviors rather than to think about what they're saying/doing.
Old 01-31-2008 | 03:45 PM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

If you are prepared to see this at least 2x write the bigger insurance check for all the cars in your family... by all means go ahead

My son bashed his learner vehicle, a Chevy s10 twice, blew the head gasket once. Each time we parked it, I paid for the parts and we spent weekends in the garage putting on new parts and fixing the engine together. A sweat equity position helped him learn what the value of money and time and the cost of his carelessness are. There is a lot of life’s lessons to be learned using sweat equity some better than a checkbook.

I still will not let this older son drive the Pcar because he does not did not care about his. My youngest, works with me, washes the pcar reads about it understands and respects her. Him at 18 I let drive
Your son has to learn...and you are doing the right thing by giving him choices So help him but please set him up to be successful in whatever you choose.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Seeeu911; 01-31-2008 at 03:48 PM. Reason: pic add
Old 01-31-2008 | 03:58 PM
RyanPerrella
Nordschleife Master

oh jesus ls, now your calling me a coward? What would you propose we fight in the parking lot? over what? because i think a kid is spoiled. You need to set your priorities, you would want to fight over this? is that your proposal? I have nothing more to say on this matter, i said it clearly and stand by it.

As for Zookie, well i dont think i need to say anymore, the more you speak the deeper the hole you dig. I would bet that your mouth has gotten you into trouble more then once in your life. Have fun spending Kuwait's money on whatever you see fit.
Old 01-31-2008 | 03:58 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Hulk Hogan's son - nuff said.

C.
Old 01-31-2008 | 04:00 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

As for Zookie, well i dont think i need to say anymore, the more you speak the deeper the hole you dig. I would bet that your mouth has gotten you into trouble more then once in your life. Have fun spending Kuwait's money on whatever you see fit.

hey atleast im not the Jelous/Iggnorant type, i love life...
Old 01-31-2008 | 04:01 PM
RyanPerrella
Nordschleife Master

Also, Ive already mentioned the 18 year old and the M5.

I also mentioned the 18 year old girl in OC whose pictures were all over the web. (INCREDIBLY GRAPHIC!)

But does the 996 board not remember the 17 ear old who taped a video of himself going 173 on the interstate some 6 months or 1 year back? Do we not remember him? He posted on Rennlist and got allot of **** for it. Sorry but young kids and cars dont match well says history. They are poor decision makers from lack of experience. If you insist on giving a kid a car like that, then be prepared for the consequences, wether it be high insurance (who cares really) to possibly the worst case scenario. Thats your decision, but I know from history how i would choose. I suggest you just take a look at the past, maybe that can sway your decision as well.
Old 01-31-2008 | 04:03 PM
RyanPerrella
Nordschleife Master

and why do you think i am jealous? Do you have anything else to contribute zookie?

I'm glad your enjoying your life, keep at it dear boy
Old 01-31-2008 | 04:04 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

Gents - You are missing my point - Disregard Justin Age - I am looking for any input on the NSX as a compare to the 996 - My son is to much of a careful person to be aggresive - If he puts 500 miles in three months that would be allot. Also to be clear - I am not buying the NSX for him, I just wanted info on the NSX. If he dose not want the targa, Hello GTI..

Lastly - In regards to the Targa being a bad track car - I couldn't disagree more - after modifications to the platform and suspension she handles awesome Two of the professional drivers at Porsche Road Atlanta were completly impressed.
Old 01-31-2008 | 04:07 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

and why do you think i am jealous? Do you have anything else to contribute zookie?
I would tell you and your son to his face. I laugh at kids that are 16, 17, 18, and driving daddy's toys.

I get annoyed when you ask how they got it which is an obvious question and they say, oh i work. Sorry, no kid in school works enough to be able to pay for a $50,000 car. The kids dont appreciate it because they didnt have to work for it.

Not to pick a fight here, but if i saw a kid in a car he obviously didn't earn and walked around like a punk I wouldn't hold back. Of course if your son is a well mannered kid, respectful of others then thats great. But kids in expensive cars dont act that way, they get cocky and act like ******, then they are racing on onramps and weaving in and out of traffic late at night cause they think they are invincible.

Quick Reply: SON DOES NOT WANT THE 03 TARGA :-(