996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

SON DOES NOT WANT THE 03 TARGA :-(

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 12:27 PM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

19 year old + high-performance sports car = BIG insurance premium!

There are plenty of statistics that show, on average, young men are higher risk behind the wheel of any car ... now put them at the wheel of either of these cars, paticularly when they have a passenger with them ....

My 2 boys (19 and 22) share a Ford Escape .... imho, safer than one of the small rockets out there or an NSX or 911, oh and we have to fight with the snow in Toronto as well.

... just my $.02
Old 01-31-2008, 01:19 PM
Blackness
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy him a GTI and tell him he's damned lucky to get that.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:22 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i totaled my s2000 when i was 22 outta college, i drove like crazy it was great
Old 01-31-2008, 01:32 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanPerrella
I would tell you and your son to his face. I laugh at kids that are 16, 17, 18, and driving daddy's toys.

wow its people like you that have no class and your stupid, an ******* and just jelous... get a life... Jelousy kills from the inside get some help...

just because you wernt born into a rich family, dont be jelous of what other people have.... honestly grow up and open your eyes

plus your an iggnorant *******, shows your class again, you dont belong here
Old 01-31-2008, 01:37 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

wtf
Old 01-31-2008, 01:37 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
The boy realizes Porsches attract men's attention quicker than women's.. Smart man.. lol!
lol hahahahahah +1
Old 01-31-2008, 01:39 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jake Ok
Hey Zook,

No offense....but who paid for your car and what do you do for a living.
im Middle Eastern (Kuwaiti), everything is given to us on a silver platter by our native government, benifits of Oil Money
Old 01-31-2008, 01:56 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Agree with Jasper....a lot of time spent sidestepping the guy's question. I considered an NSX back when I was first looking to buy something to replace my motorcycle...I'm getting older and at 64 decided that I needed four wheels under me.

My good friend has an NSX he offered up...immaculate....in a sort of seal grey color. The car drives like a Lexus....very smooth, low maintenance, pretty bulletproof according to my friend. It appeals to the younger set due to the wedge shape and spoiler. It performs well due to the mid engine configuration so its popular at the Auto-X events. My X50 outpeformed it when we went out for a day, but in the twisties, it's right there. What turned me off was that it has absolutely no room in it to carry much more than a briefcase or a good looking girl in the passenger seat. I guess for a young man, there's no need for much else. After all is said and done, I'm so glad I turned to the Porsche, but then again, I'm now 66 and am looking for more comfort, room, and amenities. My friend is glad I didnt' buy it, although he seldom drives it anymore.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:03 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 1 PGH 1
19 year old + high-performance sports car = BIG insurance premium!

In Ontario, Canada yes, in teh USA no...

My friend 20 in Washington DC drives a 2003 F-Car 360 Spider, pays $550 for 6 Months and that includes both is younger Sisters on the Car

PS: $550 was 2 years back when he 18...
Old 01-31-2008, 02:10 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are too many pages to read right now, but if you do a search on youtube, I believe top gear reviewed the NSX in an "old supercar" show , Against old ferrari, Jaguar, Porsche, etc. Jeremy Clarkson was not too keen on it if I remember.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:28 PM
RyanPerrella
Nordschleife Master

I could care less what other people have. I am not motivated by money.

As for the kid, i dont know him and i dont really care to know him. But the one thing I do know which was shared by the father is that a kid turned down a targa because it wasnt cool enough for him at 19. Sorry but that is a spoiled kid. Simple enough, thats my opinion and I know i am not alone in it. I am perhaps the only one willing to say it though. But that being said, if you want to give them the car of their dreams as a first or second car, go for it. (What will they then have to look forward to in the future though? Wont this sap motivation though? Perhaps?)

The issue of kids driving sports cars is potential problem for all people driving on the roads. Sure giving a kid a Porsche dosent mean that he is going to wreck or potentially kill himself or someone else. But you give a kid the tool to something like that and its only increasing the chances that something will happen. Its been proven by history, I am not making this up, its a very real thing.

Zookie I can picture exactly what you look like and how you act based on your replies. You've told me enough about you. Born with a silver spoon, good for you. Sure it would be cool to have cars thrown at you, but I'm not jealous of you friend.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:35 PM
RyanPerrella
Nordschleife Master

"So you don't have any class after all, no big surprise.
You don't know **** of him and his son or me and my son for that matter. Spoiled? yes, fine say so, I agreed and stated so myself.
But to call a Fathers son a SOB is simply wrong even behind your keyboard.
I was giving you the benifit of a doubt, to bad I was mistaken.
Apparently it is easy for you to type crap from your home, must make you feel like a big man.
You probably don't have kids, even if you do, at 28 you have much to learn and go through yourself.
Not all punks are spoiled, there are far worse punks than those young kids who drive das's car, as you have demonstrated so well."

ls911

I said the kid was spoiled, you yourself have admitted the same thing? So why are you mad? You share the same opinion I do, whats the problem?

And as for SOB, it was said tongue in cheek, relax, it wasnt even directed at you. It also wasnt meant as an insult.

I stand by what i said and you too seem to agree with me.

So is there really any issue here?

cheers
Old 01-31-2008, 02:40 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
wow its people like you that have no class and your stupid, an ******* and just jelous... get a life... Jelousy kills from the inside get some help...

just because you wernt born into a rich family, dont be jelous of what other people have.... honestly grow up and open your eyes

plus your an iggnorant *******, shows your class again, you dont belong here
Zoookie, Your above post reeks with class, I'm so glad you are here.

To the OP, the NSX and the S2000 for that matter are excellent cars. Well built, reliable and perform well. (mostly had built in Japan on their own assembly line)

For your son's sake I hope he has a respect for powerful cars, I know at 19 I didn't, but you would know him better than anyone here.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:40 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

C'mon, guys. This is not about the kid. This is not about parenting. This is about a choice the kid was given. We have made it ample clear that this is not a choice we would let our kids make. Now, lets answer the question.

Neither the NSX nor the targa would be my first choice. Having said that, you can't go wrong with either car. The NSX does seem to appeal more to the younger crowd, seems to look more like a supercar to the uninformed, and has performance relatively on par with the targa. If you gave him a choice, his choosing the NSX is not a bad one. This being a Porsche board, it's the wrong choice, but still not a bad one.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:43 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RyanPerrella
Zookie I can picture exactly what you look like and how you act based on your replies. You've told me enough about you. Born with a silver spoon, good for you. Sure it would be cool to have cars thrown at you, but I'm not jealous of you friend.

awwwwwwww... Acceptance is one of teh stages of Denial

Quick Reply: SON DOES NOT WANT THE 03 TARGA :-(