Sponsored by:

Sumitomo HTR Z III question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:23 PM
auto-xr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sumitomo HTR Z III question

According to Tirerack's tests the new HTR IIIs are pretty good.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...irePageLocQty=

Anyone actually try these out for street, AX, DE?
Old 12-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

crap
Old 12-28-2007, 09:43 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

They look like pretty good tires:

What We Liked: Overall road manners and decisive dry grip and handling
What We'd Improve: A small improvement in wet grip
Conclusion: A new tire worthy of being in the Max Performance Summer category
Latest Test Rank: 1st
Previous Test Rank: Not previously tested

Ben doesn't know what he's talking about, as usual.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:57 PM
ls911
Pro

It would be interesting to know if anybody has ran them. Looks good on paper
Old 12-28-2007, 10:32 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

id stick to N rated tires... they have a long history
Old 12-28-2007, 11:11 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ElTorrente
They look like pretty good tires:

What We Liked: Overall road manners and decisive dry grip and handling
What We'd Improve: A small improvement in wet grip
Conclusion: A new tire worthy of being in the Max Performance Summer category
Latest Test Rank: 1st
Previous Test Rank: Not previously tested

Ben doesn't know what he's talking about, as usual.
I wish they would have tested the 18" tire instead of the 17's.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:58 PM
grant911
Pro

I had their HTR Z 2's two years ago, and for the money I thought they were great. I wouldn't recommend them to someone who wanted to Auto X, or do a DE event. But for back road spirited drives, well worth the money. I'm sure the 3's are even better.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:15 AM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

I actually have them.. I have only put like 100miles on them, they were very cheap ($6xx) shipped for all 4 of them. I got them because of that test on Tirerack. I will be tracking and AutoX next year on them and I will let you guys know how they feel. I have had Contis 2, and Michelins at both AutoX and track and the Michelins are obviously the best. I expect the HTR Z III to be not as good as the Michelins and not as bad as the Contis. My tires only last 5k miles or 1 year so financially the HTR Z III made sense for me. Just because they are cheap doesnt mean they are crap, I have on my S2000 the Falken Azenis that are also VERY cheap and are so far the best tire I have tried for AutoX, I wish they made them for the 911..
Old 12-29-2007, 10:08 AM
UFO007
Instructor

Originally Posted by MechanicalEng
I actually have them.. I have only put like 100miles on them, they were very cheap ($6xx) shipped for all 4 of them. I got them because of that test on Tirerack. I will be tracking and AutoX next year on them and I will let you guys know how they feel. I have had Contis 2, and Michelins at both AutoX and track and the Michelins are obviously the best. I expect the HTR Z III to be not as good as the Michelins and not as bad as the Contis. My tires only last 5k miles or 1 year so financially the HTR Z III made sense for me. Just because they are cheap doesnt mean they are crap, I have on my S2000 the Falken Azenis that are also VERY cheap and are so far the best tire I have tried for AutoX, I wish they made them for the 911..
I have 18" Azenis on my 996 on turbo twists.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:11 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wished they tested them on a 996 or 997.

Originally Posted by riad
I wish they would have tested the 18" tire instead of the 17's.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:35 PM
caribbeantech
Intermediate

I have them on the rears. I've put on about 600 miles on them. So far, quite impressed with them, will report some more as I put more miles on them.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:45 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Being a subsidiary of Dunlop means they share much of the rubber compounding technology shared by many of Dunlops more advanced tires. I sell HTR Z II's to many performance car owners and overall it rates to be a very good tire, especially for the money. I don't recommend them much to Porsche owners because many report them to wear pretty quickly and be skittish. I'm hoping that the new tread design of the HTRZIII proves to be better. Time will tell.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:52 PM
auto-xr
Racer

Originally Posted by MechanicalEng
Thanks for the feedback and please keep us updated

I'm looking for a good set of tires that will last awhile; I'd use them to get to the track and AX events. The negative camber settings (2.5F and 2.0R) on my car are chewing through my PS2s at an alarming rate. In less than 500 miles my front tire tread depth is 10/23nds on the outside shoulder and 8/32s on the inside. These tires are even cheaper dollarwise than the Falkens, and because of the treadwear rating, they may even last longer.

Last edited by auto-xr; 05-05-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:08 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by auto-xr
Thanks for the feedback and please keep us update

I'm looking for a good set of tires that will last awhile; I'd use them to get to the track and AX events. The negative camber settings (2.5F and 2.0R) on my car are chewing through my PS2s at an alarming rate. In less than 500 miles my front tire tread depth is 10/23nds on the outside shoulder and 8/32s on the inside. These tires are even cheaper dollarwise than the Falkens, and because of the treadwear rating, they may even last longer.
I have the III's on my car now - for about 5,000 miles. No problems in the dry, or semi-wet. Eh, we don't get much rain here in Texas. No winter condition driving. I use these as my DD tires, and not track use. The III's are low noise, nice profile, and great tread design. I can recommend them for DD, but I have not used them on the track at all.

For the track, I use(d) Yokohama AVS ES100. These have lasted me an entire year on the track (14 days) - and they are only worn by 1/2. Granted, they are not the stickiest tires, but for a cheap tweener tire that gets long life, these are sweet. These were great tires to get to know the car, as they talk alot and break free gradually. Plus, discount tire had them in stock.

However, with my new Christmas rims, I'm putting RA-1s all the way around. So my 17" with ES100's are soon out the door.

Keep in mind that you will be sacrificing something as you compromise for longer tread life. If you are not hardcore into DE/Track time, then the ES100 are a decent tire to get your through a season. If you are a junkie, well, you're going to have to suck it up and get better tires.

-td
Old 01-02-2008, 03:11 PM
auto-xr
Racer

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
Being a subsidiary of Dunlop means they share much of the rubber compounding technology shared by many of Dunlops more advanced tires. I sell HTR Z II's to many performance car owners and overall it rates to be a very good tire, especially for the money. I don't recommend them much to Porsche owners because many report them to wear pretty quickly and be skittish. I'm hoping that the new tread design of the HTRZIII proves to be better. Time will tell.
Thanks for the background info

Quick Reply: Sumitomo HTR Z III question