02 Targa's .. How are they?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 02 Targa's .. How are they?

Hi all, Been shopping for a 911 Coupe, and a coupe is what I really want.
My price range has had me looking at 00-01 cars for the most part.. but..
I may be able to get into a nice 02 Targa thats seems well optioned at a good price.

How are these cars? do they rattle, leak???

Any input appreciated,

Thanks!
Marc
Old 11-19-2007, 12:11 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are beautiful cars. I almost pulled the trigger on one myself but then settled on a Coupe. Based on how much my sunroof rattles, I can only guess it would be a bigger problem in the Targa. I still like their looks though.
AA
Old 11-19-2007, 02:54 PM
bdiamond001
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had ann 02 Targa for 2 years. No leaking or rattle issues. In the winter the seals are little squeaky until the car warms up. The only complaint would be in the summer after parking in the sun it takes a while for the A/C to cool car down. The best features without doubt is the hatchback opening, and the massive sun roof.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not a fan of the targa cars at all
Old 11-19-2007, 03:04 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have never ridden in one, but I do like them. I would not hesitate to get one if I found one i liked and wanted.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

i would hesitate because 1) it'll never be the same experience as driving a cab; 2) you get all that extra weight up top and also lose the structural rigidity of a coupe.

go hot or cold, not lukewarm
Old 11-19-2007, 03:34 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
i would hesitate because 1) it'll never be the same experience as driving a cab; 2) you get all that extra weight up top and also lose the structural rigidity of a coupe.

that's ridiculous.

Have you ever owned one?

The '02 Targas are great. You will not notice the additional weight on the streets, and anyone who tells you that they can notice the vertical distribution of the weight is lying to you or doesn't know what they are talking about . . . even on the track.

If you are buying the car primarily for track use, obviously do not buy a targa. If you are buying it for street use, and even for occasional track day use (DEs), the Targa is fine.

You will not notice any rigidity difference between the coupe and the Targa, and I have driven both quite a bit, on the street and the track.

The main benefit of a targa over the coupe and the convertible, particularly for street use, is the openess you can get during cooler or bad weather, which is incredible, and the practicality of having a hatchback, which allows you to use all of the storage room for the back seats.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Guys, Thanks for all the feedback!
Old 11-19-2007, 03:38 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Marc,

Feel free to contact me off-line if you want to discuss in more detail. PM me a phone number.

TD
Old 11-19-2007, 03:56 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

(TD used to own one)

it's not ridiculous, but no i have not owned one but have driven one.

the cab still kills the targa for noise and just being out there with the world.

the closed coupe still gives you the 911 tradition. the targa is really just a half-arsed approach to marrying the two together and you can see it in the half-**** sales numbers (demand).

it's totally niche and i can see why. it's not that great. it's a middling effort thus my advice to go cab or coupe.

Originally Posted by TD in DC
that's ridiculous.

Have you ever owned one?

The '02 Targas are great. You will not notice the additional weight on the streets, and anyone who tells you that they can notice the vertical distribution of the weight is lying to you or doesn't know what they are talking about . . . even on the track.

If you are buying the car primarily for track use, obviously do not buy a targa. If you are buying it for street use, and even for occasional track day use (DEs), the Targa is fine.

You will not notice any rigidity difference between the coupe and the Targa, and I have driven both quite a bit, on the street and the track.

The main benefit of a targa over the coupe and the convertible, particularly for street use, is the openess you can get during cooler or bad weather, which is incredible, and the practicality of having a hatchback, which allows you to use all of the storage room for the back seats.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:02 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

(TD used to own one)

it's not ridiculous, but no i have not owned one but have driven one.

the cab still kills the targa for noise and just being out there with the world.

the closed coupe still gives you the 911 tradition. the targa is really just a half-arsed approach to marrying the two together and you can see it in the half-**** sales numbers (demand).

it's totally niche and i can see why. it's not that great. it's a middling effort thus my advice to go cab or coupe.
It is ridiculous because it is not trying to be a cab. It is better than a cab IMHO of course.

The Targa doesn't give you Porsche tradition? WTF have you been smoking? Please pass that sh*t down to me and don't bogart it in the process.

And a middling effort? Please. IIRC your C4S is just as heavy or heavier than a Targa, so, if you want to talk aboout middling efforts, one can argue that a C4S is a middling effort that isn't as good as the C2 or the Turbo . . . sort of the worst of both worlds. But then again, only someone who doesn't "get" it would view the world in those terms.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 11-19-2007, 04:06 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by TD in DC
It is ridiculous because it is not trying to be a cab. It is better than a cab IMHO of course.

The Targa doesn't give you Porsche tradition? WTF have you been smoking? Please pass that sh*t down to me and don't bogart it in the process.

And a middling effort? Please. IIRC your C4S is just as heavy or heavier than a Targa, so, if you want to talk aboout middling efforts, one can argue that a C4S is a middling effort that isn't as good as the C2 or the Turbo . . . sort of the worst of both worlds. But then again, only someone who doesn't "get" it would view the world in those terms.
but the c4s at least gives you better brakes, suspension and a wider chassis that absolutely annihilates in the looks dept and ultimately is faster around a track if we're going to split hairs like that.

dont' get your panties in a bunch because i'm providing my recommendations. the targa is a lame 911 that is to be avoided. stick with the cab or coupe. don't go for the sky lights car.

and yes for those that need things spelled out, the above comments are my very own special opinions.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:33 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

1) If I wanted the same experience as driving a cab, I'd have...bought a cab.
2) Edmunds says the Targa is 132 lbs heavier. It's possible that you might notice the extra weight, but I can't imagine that you'd be able to "find" the extra weight. Structural rigidity should be identical or even stronger than a coupe; the actual roof skin/panel isn't providing the structure--the pillars and roof rails are, and if anything, they'd be beefed up in the Targa.

Besides that, you get the added benefit of the hatchback rear glass--I'd love a Targa just for that feature?

What, you don't haul stuff in your 911? Sometimes mine is like a little pickup.

I urge you to read "Goldilocks and the Three Bears".
Old 11-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Sometimes mine is like a little pickup.

I like that one.

Quick Reply: 02 Targa's .. How are they?