Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Washer fluid - Do I have to use the blue junk?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 10:59 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Washer fluid - Do I have to use the blue junk?

Every time I use the windshield washer, I wind up with blue fluid drops all over the place, thanks to the auto store purchased blue fluid.

Is there a perfect washer fluid that is clear, works well, and doesn't leave blue stains all over?? What are you guys using?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:23 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
Every time I use the windshield washer, I wind up with blue fluid drops all over the place, thanks to the auto store purchased blue fluid.

Is there a perfect washer fluid that is clear, works well, and doesn't leave blue stains all over?? What are you guys using?
Any cheap methanol based crap I can get for 99 cents/gal.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:40 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Any cheap methanol based crap I can get for 99 cents/gal.
But that crap gets on your nice wax/finish!
Old 11-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...

Sorry couldn't resist.

C.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:42 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

But that crap gets on your nice wax/finish!

Who uses wax nowadays when there are so many better synthetics?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:44 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm going to post this in the Concour forum - you guys aren't OCD enough!!
Old 11-08-2007, 11:56 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't use the windshield washer if you don't want it to get on the paint.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

That's sort of what I was trying to understand. I put in any old crap because I'm never going to use them. I was the windshield when I was the car. That's usually good enough to last until the next wash. In a worse case scenario I stop by the gas station, fill up, and wash my window with the squegee.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:27 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

You guys never park under a tree, and find dust, dirt, bird stuff, etc on the windshield? In the winter, your windshield doesn't frost up when you are in a hurry? Do you drive with road dust on the windshield instead of cleaning them with a quick spray of the washer?

Nothing bothers me more than a dirty/spotty/dusty windshield! I must be the only one who uses the washers!
Old 11-08-2007, 12:43 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

You guys never park under a tree, and find dust, dirt, bird stuff, etc on the windshield? In the winter, your windshield doesn't frost up when you are in a hurry? Do you drive with road dust on the windshield instead of cleaning them with a quick spray of the washer?

Nothing bothers me more than a dirty/spotty/dusty windshield! I must be the only one who uses the washers!
Washers???? Our cars have windshield washers?
Old 11-08-2007, 05:58 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no, I use the washers. I just bought some orange stuff. I suppose you could mix methanol (dry gas) with water, but I don't know the ratio offhand. That would be perfectly clear though. And very poisonous.

Last edited by dresler; 11-08-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:12 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Rain-x makes a solution or something that you can add to washer fluid- that stuff supposedly works good. I don't know what color it is.

I use mine because I often drive long distances and across the country. Even around town I use them to get crap off the window. I figure that if my windows are dusty and have crap on them, then the rest of the car does too, so I don't care if it gets on the car because I need to wash it soon anyway.

Speaking of clean windshields, I just bought some of those silicon wipers from Tirerack.com (can't remember what they are called) and they work amazingly well. I got the ones with carbon fiber-look and the little wind spoilers on them, and holy crap- the water beads up and shoots off the window immediately. Great product.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:14 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ArneeA
Don't use the windshield washer if you don't want it to get on the paint.
I don't use the windshield washer as I don't want it to get on my interior or my head - never close the top of my Cab.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If you drive faster it'll go over your head!?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:17 PM
apterr
Racer

Hopefully humorous story.... I was driving my 996 in my first DE at Watkins Glen. My instructor was telling me to get my hands back to the wheel and off of the shift as soon as I could. After a few runs, I got the hang of it, had my hands on the wheel and was making very fast movements to the shifter and back to the wheel. On one occasion I accidentally tripped the wipers on. It was while I was just going the fastest I had ever had my car going to that point (downshifted too late, already into the turn). It scared the hell out of me to see my wipers go on and I immediately took my foot off the accelerator which was NOT the correct thing to do now half-way into a turn. The wipers coming on scared the hell out of me and my reaction scared the #$%^ out of the instructor. Just thought about this while reading about the windshield washer fluid. Have a great day.

Quick Reply: Washer fluid - Do I have to use the blue junk?