Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Washer fluid - Do I have to use the blue junk?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 02:26 PM
DanDotDan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ElTorrente
I think Rain-x makes a solution or something that you can add to washer fluid- that stuff supposedly works good. I don't know what color it is..
I've heard some bad stuff about the Rain-x solution. It ends up making a gooey mess.

Speaking of clean windshields, I just bought some of those silicon wipers from Tirerack.com (can't remember what they are called) and they work amazingly well.
+1. They work great. I'm going on 18 months with a set and they clear the windshield better than anything else I've tried. They also leave a coat of silicone on the windshield giving RainX-like protection.
I got the ones with carbon fiber-look and the little wind spoilers on them,
-2 for the wind spoilers. Sorry.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:43 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by apterr
Hopefully humorous story.... I was driving my 996 in my first DE at Watkins Glen. My instructor was telling me to get my hands back to the wheel and off of the shift as soon as I could. After a few runs, I got the hang of it, had my hands on the wheel and was making very fast movements to the shifter and back to the wheel. On one occasion I accidentally tripped the wipers on. It was while I was just going the fastest I had ever had my car going to that point (downshifted too late, already into the turn). It scared the hell out of me to see my wipers go on and I immediately took my foot off the accelerator which was NOT the correct thing to do now half-way into a turn. The wipers coming on scared the hell out of me and my reaction scared the #$%^ out of the instructor. Just thought about this while reading about the windshield washer fluid. Have a great day.
Funny, or, scary! People on the 944 forum used to post about pulling the wiper fuse before doing a DE event, just in case! The wiper stalks in our cars are so close to the wheel, you can't help but hit it if you are making a quick turn or correction, etc.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:33 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by apterr
Hopefully humorous story.... I was driving my 996 in my first DE at Watkins Glen. My instructor was telling me to get my hands back to the wheel and off of the shift as soon as I could. After a few runs, I got the hang of it, had my hands on the wheel and was making very fast movements to the shifter and back to the wheel. On one occasion I accidentally tripped the wipers on. It was while I was just going the fastest I had ever had my car going to that point (downshifted too late, already into the turn). It scared the hell out of me to see my wipers go on and I immediately took my foot off the accelerator which was NOT the correct thing to do now half-way into a turn. The wipers coming on scared the hell out of me and my reaction scared the #$%^ out of the instructor. Just thought about this while reading about the windshield washer fluid. Have a great day.
u are not the only one.

there was a vedio a guy crashed a 911 on the 'ring.
when he was trying to recover from a fish tail, he triggered the wippers.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:34 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
You guys never park under a tree, and find dust, dirt, bird stuff, etc on the windshield? In the winter, your windshield doesn't frost up when you are in a hurry? Do you drive with road dust on the windshield instead of cleaning them with a quick spray of the washer?

Nothing bothers me more than a dirty/spotty/dusty windshield! I must be the only one who uses the washers!
if u do all that, why would u care about wash fluid get on your paint?
Old 11-09-2007, 03:55 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DanDotDan
-2 for the wind spoilers. Sorry.
LOL

Yeah, but they are aerodynamic and my car feels much faster!
Old 11-09-2007, 04:05 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL

Yeah, but they are aerodynamic and my car feels much faster!
You sure that's not just VTEC kicking in?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:08 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ArneeA
You sure that's not just VTEC kicking in?

It certainly could be. I installed the wipers and the "Type R" sticker at the same time, so I could be confused.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:33 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

So, would spraying WD-40 on my windshield be the same as using those PIAA wipers?? How do they not streak and cloud up the windshield as they deposit silicone on there?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:36 PM
4-large
Racer

I put dish soap in one time in HS, and forgot it was in their, and did not try out till I was on the high way.....OMG the window went white with bubbles visibility went from 100% to 0% 3 sec
Old 11-09-2007, 04:37 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AndyK
So, would spraying WD-40 on my windshield be the same as using those PIAA wipers?? How do they not streak and cloud up the windshield as they deposit silicone on there?

They don't streak or leave any sort of visible residue at all. You might want to try WD-40 though, it does great at removing water- maybe fill your wiper fluid with it.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:53 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

They don't streak or leave any sort of visible residue at all. You might want to try WD-40 though, it does great at removing water- maybe fill your wiper fluid with it.
Nothing like the smell of WD-40 spraying all over the place!!

I'm ordering those wipers though - I'm a sucker for a clean windshield and no chatter!
Old 11-09-2007, 04:55 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by 4-large
I put dish soap in one time in HS, and forgot it was in their, and did not try out till I was on the high way.....OMG the window went white with bubbles visibility went from 100% to 0% 3 sec
LOL!!!
Old 11-09-2007, 04:55 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

It certainly could be. I installed the wipers and the "Type R" sticker at the same time, so I could be confused.
I'm pretty sure it was the sticker, man.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Stefan Richter
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Any kind of windshield washer fluid will contain some type of solvent or soap in order get the bug juice off. This stuff can't be good for your paint. Therefore, wouldn't you rather have it be blue, and know where it is so you can wash it off rather than let is sit? Just trying to look on the bright side.

Stefan

Quick Reply: Washer fluid - Do I have to use the blue junk?