Sponsored by:

Question about wiring looms

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 04:32 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about wiring looms

Can anyone tell me if when Porsche puts together a car, do they use more or less the same wiring looms? By this I mean, do they use different wiring looms for cars according to the specific options, or do they put in looms that have wiring for options that might not be included in the car.?? The car would be a 99 996.

If a car was built with PSM and no slip differential.....does it require a special wiring loom for those options.? I was wondering if perhaps Porsche might not have wanted to manufacture a whole bunch of different looms and just used a generic one whether it had the particular option or not. I think I just said the same thing twice.....but hopefully you get the idea the first time.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:02 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I know the OBC is there whether the option was ordered or not. Same w/power for the phone, a good place to tap for a hard wired V1.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe your PSM question is moot because PSM requires e-gas, which wasn't present in the '99 C2. The later cars that I have been around have all been fairly fully optioned so I can't comment on the presence of conductors in the harness to support options.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Porsche does not use a universal wiring harness. It is made by an outside company specific for the vehicle that is going to be build. In one of my tech publications Porsche even says how many days it takes to arrive.

I think it was or is made by this company.

http://www.leoni.de/Home.8.0.html?&u...=1&lang=en&L=1

The wiring harness is not present if you want to retrofit the OBC, or I have been making them for no reason for 6 years.

Last edited by Tool Pants; 12-09-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Perhaps I should rephrase my question....the 99 has a option for Traction Control or "TC" as the rocker switch is labelled. The option codes were 220 and 222....if that helps clarify the question.

The issue is really to help out Mfletch who bought my 99 996 that had the dash fire...he's got to replace the wiring and has bought another wiring loom from a SilverStar....but the question becomes one of the loom issue and whether or not it has the correct wiring in there for the 220 and 222 options.

I'll alert him to your comments ToolPants....hopefully it will help him make the job a little easier. Judging by the pictures he took of the dash....it's a freakin' nightmare in there.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

I thought someone wanted to retrofit an option, like traction control. Buy a switch and hook up a few wires, and you have the traction option. Problem is the ABS control unit for a car with traction control is different, and who knows what else.

If your burned 1999 had traction control then he needs to get the harness from a car with that option. If he goes on a real PET it is very specific, sometimes, based on the options.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I was afraid of that. So he's going to have to try to find a wrecked 99 996 with those specific options in order to make it work. I'd shudder to think what Porsche would charge for such a loom.....I wish him all the luck possible....I think this is going to be a difficult fix for him because those options were special order in 99.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:46 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

its easy enough to modify a harness that was made for PSM to fit tc... Porsche is in the busines of making it easy from a manufacturing standpoint, its hard to imagine Porsche would make custom harnesses, rather than make one type... but I could be wrong... anyway, as long as he has schematics and he is not electrically challenged he should be fine and can easily modify the harness to his liking.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

There are repair kits that have sections of the harness. Sometimes they are VIN specific. He needs to look at PET if there is a problem.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

The story that I have heard is that Porsche has their entire production line paced by the production of the wiring harness. It drives everything. In an effort to save both weight and costs, they are leaving out things that are not ordered in the car. Regardless of this you would find that most shops would much rather put in their own wiring than go digging for supposedly existing wires to tap into. The electrical complexity of these cars grows with every year and if you tap into existing wires you may impose a resistive load upon it that may affect other components.

This is why today new car purchasers are encouraged to order carefully to ensure they get the stuff that can never be retrofitted either easily or at all, e.g., TPMS or electronically dimming mirrors. To do that stuff after the fact is prohibitively expensive. As such, finding a parts cars with a harness that can do you any good would be close to impossible. Run your own wires and then carefully label them for the next guy.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:02 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Chuck, thanks for asking the question for me. I went through this same issue on my Vesuvio 996. The engine harness that I used was off a 6 speed car, not a tip. I had to run 2 seperate wires for a solenoid that controlled the cooler in the tiptronic transmission. As long as the switch for the traction control function isn't run through the computer, I should be ok.
If I have to delete the traction control in the off position, I won't be sad. The LSD option is far more important to me.
Thanks for the information guys.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:34 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

all harness are made to order per vin, average wait time to get any harness is 6-8 weeks even for the dealer with a warrenty car

Quick Reply: Question about wiring looms