Highest MPH in a 996

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 06:24 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by ElTorrente
Umm.. yes

All depends on the situation of course. I see cars FLYING by me, zigging in and out of traffic, heavy braking behind slower cars, etc.. those are the retards. Open road ahead with no interference, no problem there. I can stop faster from 100mph than an SUV can from 80mph, plus I can handle much better, so it's no big deal.
How much do you want to bet on that braking thing? You can even choose the SUV, provided it's a late-model vehicle.

Hell, my SO's daily driver SUV will outbrake my 996 from 60-0. I can't imagine the annihilation if you spotted the SUV 20 mph.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:17 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've never had it above 65mph officer. My spoiler only goes up if I push the switch........
Old 11-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ray S
I've never had it above 65mph officer. My spoiler only goes up if I push the switch........
ditto!!!
Old 11-02-2007, 07:25 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Most of the speeds posted here are probably just guesses anyway since the speedo on the car is VERY optimistic. I thought I was hitting about 160 at my fastest (back straight at VIR) according to my speedo but then my GPS data acquisition told the truth after I uploaded the session. 153 was the result and to date my top speed. That is in my GT3 with stock suspension. I'm looking forward to see what it will do once the new suspension is installed! Currently in the shop getting a total suspension upgrade from the ground up
Old 11-02-2007, 07:34 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Most of the speeds posted here are probably just guesses anyway since the speedo on the car is VERY optimistic. I thought I was hitting about 160 at my fastest (back straight at VIR) according to my speedo but then my GPS data acquisition told the truth after I uploaded the session. 153 was the result and to date my top speed. That is in my GT3 with stock suspension. I'm looking forward to see what it will do once the new suspension is installed! Currently in the shop getting a total suspension upgrade from the ground up

Wow that was fast Dell!! You went from thinking about selling it, to a full suspension upgrade!

Congrats....
Old 11-02-2007, 07:40 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Got talked out of it from several of my good friends that I run with at the track that have kids as well. They had the same thoughts in those early days like I did but when you realize that you CAN have a life and should outside the home then you quickly realize how much joy this hobby brings and keeps that whole equillibrium in check Man, did I just try to pass off that line of bs??? I had myself believing it for a sec! Seriously though, there is nothing wrong with loving your child and still loving the hobbies you have. Mine just happens to be one where the family can be with me. My wife tracks the car (well she'll get back in the saddle when she recovers) as well and I have always seen lots of kids in the paddock. I just need to make sure I have all latest and greatest safety equipment and at the same time realize that I have a child that needs his father and not to do anything stupid on the track that would put me in a bad position. I pride myself in my skill and awareness on the track and would like to think I can continue this hobby without a worry in world.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:52 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
How much do you want to bet on that braking thing? You can even choose the SUV, provided it's a late-model vehicle.

Hell, my SO's daily driver SUV will outbrake my 996 from 60-0. I can't imagine the annihilation if you spotted the SUV 20 mph.
I might want to take that bet myself. C&D tested a broken in 1999 C2 from 70-0 in 163 feet. A Range Rover Sport and an X5 will come within five feet of that, but not better. A Cayenne is, like, two feet better. But a Grand Cherokee needs 195, and that's typical of Detroit iron. And those are test numbers. Nice straight lines. Add in the fantastic modulation in these cars versus what it's really like to stomp on the binders in a panic situation in an SUV... and I even get to choose the SUV? Yeah, I'll take a piece of that action.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I did 65 once on the West Side Highway... that **** was crazy.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:23 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
I might want to take that bet myself. C&D tested a broken in 1999 C2 from 70-0 in 163 feet. A Range Rover Sport and an X5 will come within five feet of that, but not better. A Cayenne is, like, two feet better. But a Grand Cherokee needs 195, and that's typical of Detroit iron. And those are test numbers. Nice straight lines. Add in the fantastic modulation in these cars versus what it's really like to stomp on the binders in a panic situation in an SUV... and I even get to choose the SUV? Yeah, I'll take a piece of that action.
Motor Trend tested the heavier version (FX45) of my own SUV at 115 ft from 60-0, and an '03 C4S (I have a '99 C4) at 112 ft from 60-0, so I know there's plenty of SUVs out there that can keep up. A Ford Explorer is in the 130 ft range from 60-0.

So, yeah, it's not "all SUVs", but an awful lot of them (Cayenne, FX, SRT8, RR Sport, X5, probably anything from Mercedes, and a lot of bread-and-butter American iron) sure could do it. Also, we're not talking panic situations--we're talking straight testing. There's no doubt in my mind as to which vehicle I'd rather be in for a panic stop situation, but that wasn't the point.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:44 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my car flat out at 177 for a while on Rt. 17 upstate NY at 6 a.m....not a soul on the road...even the wildlife was sleeping. One of those several mile long dips where you can see downhill and uphill for miles. TOTALLY Kidding.

I did flirt with 150 for a milisecond when I first got the car, just to ensure stability and satisfy my curiosity...it got up there so fast, was really cool. Major adrenaline. I will never even come close to that again off the track, however, I do hit triple digits occaisionally when it's open ahead. It's amazing how going in the 90's in this car is so smooth and easy. My bimmer did the same thing no problem. Around here...if you aren't doing 80...you get rear ended.

No flaming please....I'm a grown adult with plenty of track experience and common sense.

Best,
J
Old 11-02-2007, 09:54 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Retarded is a bit much doncha think.

Figure this, a German regularly goes 250 kmh+ on the autobahn, in traffic, in a Peugot sedan.

So now a Rennlister goes out on a deserted stretch of highway, in a Porsche, and does the same. How is this retarded? OK maybe ill advised, maybe even risky..but retarded? Get a grip.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:01 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW I did hit 163 (indicated 168, but radar-checked) at the last Silver State. There's not a lot of acceleration once you change up to 6th at 150-something
Old 11-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jasper
Retarded is a bit much doncha think.

Figure this, a German regularly goes 250 kmh+ on the autobahn, in traffic, in a Peugot sedan.

So now a Rennlister goes out on a deserted stretch of highway, in a Porsche, and does the same. How is this retarded? OK maybe ill advised, maybe even risky..but retarded? Get a grip.
Germany = Better trained drivers on better quality roads, surrounded by better trained drivers.

Over here it's typically the case that even if you're a good driver you're surrounded by unpredictable idiots on poor quality roads - that's why it's retarded to do triple digits on populated public roads.

Open deserted roads is a different matter, as you're only putting yourself at risk.

Personally, I don't do early morning speeding, as you're likely to end up doing a high speed smooch with a seriously pissed off deer... but hey, it's all about personal decisions and responsibility. Whatever blows your socks off.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:24 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 with Wellard. While I don't necessarily think Europeans are better drivers than us...it is precisely the other "bad" and "unaware" drivers that always have me looking at the big picture when I drive. And when it comes to speeding...they are the reason why I don't "overspeed"...even if it's only one car in the right lane as I'm passing way left.

Most drivers are unpredictable and are often not paying attention. If most driver's were as astute as most of us here, then the accident rate would drop 90%. But that's not the case...nor will it ever be the case. And we all know who they are....my wife being one. She has driven less than 5 times with me as a passenger in the car, always results in an argument about how she's too far over...or almost hit the guardrail...or changed lanes without looking....and she get's her skills from her parents. She's just awful....that's why I have the best baby seats on the market. I just roll my eyes....I don't think she'll cause a big wreck or anything....she simply bangs up her car more than I could imagine. Last year...I just stopped fixing the van...it's got dings...dents...scratches on almost every panel. Never a new car for her again.

OK...enough ranting.

If there were better more aware drivers.....yadda yadda yadda.

J
Old 11-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Ouch! I feel your pain! I don't think I could be in the same car as your wife.

I have a colleague who is very similar - weaves like crazy in heavy traffic and doesn't look more than 1 car ahead. Every couple of years I make the mistake of letting him drive on a business trip and immediately remember why I don't normally let him drive. The only way to retain my sanity is to turn up the music, look out the side window and grit my teeth.

As for driver training - while it's the case that there are bad drivers everywhere, the quality of driver instruction and higher standard required to pass a driver's test in (most of) Europe (please discount France, Italy and Greece from this statement) does make for better and more considerate drivers. It's a night and day difference, as the lane discipline and predictability of drivers makes life a lot easier.

Quick Reply: Highest MPH in a 996