996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Custom Supercharger and FVD tuning

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ah yes, the misalignment must be letting the belt ride off the pulleys on to the outer retaining lips (if you will) of the pulleys, bottoming the tensioner, and then snapping the belt.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:23 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absent of any other noticeable causes I hope so, It must be nice not having to worry about that with your turbo.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mother
It must be nice not having to worry about that with your turbo.
True, I love turbos a lot now. They are a pain the @$$ to setup but once sorted, they rock.

Anyways, I assume you have somewhere around a 4" pulley for the S/C? My friends C6 Corvette has roughly this size, couldnt imagine any smaller due to too much boost. I could see the belt riding on the outer lip of the pulley shortening the belt like an inch or so bottoming the tensioner. In stock form, the tensioner allows just enough to get the belt over the "smooth" side of an idler, almost impossible to get the belt over the OD lips of the others.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Being that it is so difficult to change out belts that I am going to try a larger belt by 1/2" built by Goodyear "Gatorbelt" which is grooved for added grip and supposed to be vey durable. My only concern is stretch over time. My pulley size is 3.33" and sure the compressor the vette uses is different.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mother
Being that it is so difficult to change out belts that I am going to try a larger belt by 1/2" built by Goodyear "Gatorbelt" which is grooved for added grip and supposed to be vey durable. My only concern is stretch over time. My pulley size is 3.33" and sure the compressor the vette uses is different.
Sounds like a plan with the belt. Maybe if it shucks off this time, it wont break. I assume you are using the "SQ" Vortech? I thought that my friends was this trim, must not be. Then again, the Corvette uses a bigger crank pulley.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Yes. the SQ (Super Quit) vortech is the one of choice for me. Hope your right if it jumps a pulley maybe it will not break the belt.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:14 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Update:

I had problems with my RMS leaking to much for me to continue tuning so the car, so she went to shop they changed the RMS using the proper tool after I explained that they used the wrong/or dated tool originally and they changed the IMS seal aslo. After airing greviences they bleed my brakes and checked Alternator and did not charge for parts so they excepted some responsibilty anyway.

Well figuring I would move on with life drove my car out and at first stop light noticed a unbalanced vibration feeling on take off and accelerating I was going to turn around take it back but after talking with them just wanted to get out of there and home and maybe it would settle in.

Well going up my street decided to give it some more gas .....bad move and that... was ...that ... it vibrated terrible and something sounded like it broke so pulled in my driveway leaving a stream of oil and there she sits with about a cup of oil under the eng, I had no idication of failure no idiot lights and water temp was about 170 degrees. I called the shop she said she was scared and I just said I was depressed I now spent $700 bucks on a seal that was not my fault and sounds like a blown engine to boot. I am still waiting (this happened Wensday) for a call back to see what they are going to do but still no call maybe I will try Monday besides I'm still not right in the head yet.....

If it is an engine well it will be awhile before I update this thread and need to let FVD know is what's going on which I'm sure I can finish tuning when I get another engine if that is the cause. I will update again when I find out what happened.

Last edited by Mother; 01-25-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like they botched the intermediate shaft seal replacement.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:43 PM
3deep
Cruisin'

Damn Mother that sucks,i was really pulling for ya.Hope its something simple.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Doug Donsbach
Sounds like they botched the intermediate shaft seal replacement.
I was afraid you were going to say that, I had changed it along time ago during intial engine install, but the engine was running smooth when I brought it to them. She wanted to change it because it was seeping and it was very minor when I looked at it and would not notice it on the radar for quite some time if left alone but since they were down there why not.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 3deep
Damn Mother that sucks,i was really pulling for ya.Hope its something simple.
Thanks, but to me it did not sound inexpensive and cracked a piece out of my motor bell housing. Right now I feel like I own just a big expensive boat anchor. Also need to put an oil spot under my Avatar.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:07 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Mother, I am so sorry to hear about your car. After all the work you have done, that really sucks. My heart goes out to you. If there is anything I can do to help (other than send you a boat load of cash), please let me know. I would be glad to go to the local salvage yards and check prices on engines. Autofarm in the UK rebuilds our engines...3.7 litres with the blower would be really nice. Good luck and please keep us posted.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:16 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mfletch
Mother, I am so sorry to hear about your car. After all the work you have done, that really sucks. My heart goes out to you. If there is anything I can do to help (other than send you a boat load of cash), please let me know. I would be glad to go to the local salvage yards and check prices on engines. Autofarm in the UK rebuilds our engines...3.7 litres with the blower would be really nice. Good luck and please keep us posted.
Thanks for the time to reply from your project which I hope is going well Mfletch, But if were you I would padlock your engine right now. I paid $3000 for the engine and labor to install it so it was not devistating, but still need to do all the work over but it is a project and the radio in the car still works and I can go VAARROOOOMMMM!!!!. I was going along pretty smooth but had a gut feeling that it was just to smooth. I am still well under my target price of $20 K completed but so much for the RUF parts I wanted . Salvage yards are usually pricey but if you remember ask next time you are down there what they are asking I would appreciate that, but still need to add to my kitty, if it was cost effective a rebuild would be the way to go, but you know how that goes.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:24 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Sorry for the loss, this was the most exciting project I have read on the 996 forum. I learned some things from your project and realized how difficult it is to tune a Porsche. It is a cake walk for anything American. You could go to one website and find all the details of MAF, injector size, and fuel pump capacity in a heartbeat for boosting the American machines. Not Porsche.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:43 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Mother, sorry to hear about what has happened... I hope the GULf VI project lives on, GL

Quick Reply: Custom Supercharger and FVD tuning