3 New Mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 11:20 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 3 New Mods

OK 2 mods 1 item installed because it was missing:

Mod 1 and Item Missing = GT Spoilers and Wicker Bill / Gurney Flap.

I had the GT Spoilers painted to match and installed about 3 weeks ago. A week prior to that I had a piece of wood hit the right-side of the car while I was driving on the freeway. The piece of wood was thrown-up from another vehicle that ran over it and it went down the door and side skirt, I could not avoid it. So while that was getting fixed I decided to purchase the rear GT Spoilers and put them on. IMHO I like them but not as much as I thought I would, but I do not hate them or anything negative, so they are staying on the car.

The Wicker Bill / Gurney Flap, sometimes called just a spoiler, was not installed by the previous owner when they had the Aero Kit installed. It installs on the lower part of the wing and is needed for down-force at speed (so I am told). So I bought one and decided to leave it black and not paint it yellow. I figured it adds to the cars colour scheme of yellow and black and so if I painted it yellow it would blend in too much and not be seen.

Now for Mod 3 = Painted Brake Calipers.

OK a little bit of bling here and I wasn't sure if I should go with Black or Yellow. I chose Yellow and I like it. My original calipers were black but the paint was chipping really bad. The Yellow isn't exactly the same as Speed Yellow but close enough. I bought these through a small Group Buy on 6speed (only 2 out of 11 interested went for it). These were sold by Tony on eBay and they are rebuilt and powder coated. The quality is fantastic and Tony still gave us a great deal even though he was disappointed when people didn't go for it after he worked a deal for 11 of us. I have read a few of the threads about painting your own, but this was swap-out was worth it. I did the replacement myself using a power-bleeder (some of you may remember a thread about brake fluid flushing and I was asking a lot of questions, well this is why). Oh I did use new caliper bolts. I also spent a few minutes cleaning up the area seen through the wheels and painted the hub too so that the wheel looks part of the rotor now and not with a grey area.

I knew the empty Newcastle and SoBe bottles would come in handy

Well I hope you enjoy the mods and pics

Last edited by TheSpeedDemon; 09-20-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:15 AM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks very good
Old 09-20-2007, 12:57 AM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn buddy you have been hitting them hard. I personally love the gt's! Your car never ceases to amaze!
Old 09-20-2007, 01:38 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steven:
Are those catheters???? There's an easier way to get rid of excess beer...

I like the yellow brakes....they go well with the black wheels....you've done a lot to that car since I last saw you....lookin' good.

I'm hot on the trail of a TT....got the insurance payoff today.....

Chuck
Old 09-20-2007, 01:42 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Car looks good, but the GT spoilers scream "Pontiac" to me. Gurney Flap looks sharp.

Wondering how that paint on the calipers & rotors will hold up on a hot day at the track. Maybe better than I'm thinking...
Old 09-20-2007, 03:25 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Good looking car!
Speed demon = awesome yellow speed

Everytime we do a new mod is a total satisfaction
Old 09-20-2007, 09:38 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 263 Posts

Nice looking car Steven. I personally like the GT spoilers because it gives the NB body a visual wider stance. I don't know if it has any aerodynamic attributes though.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:46 AM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the The Wicker Bill / Gurney Flap (good to keep it black). If I were to paint the calipers I would have exactly color matched the car otherwise the closeness but difference in color is noticeable. Maybe it looks good in person though. Good job painting the hubs. You may want to consider doing the exhaust tips in black to match the other black pieces. Overall nice job, looking good!
Old 09-20-2007, 09:51 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

WOW, great mods and nice pics. The calipers and "top hats" look great. P also painted my calipers and top hats. Nicely done!

Now all you need is to get your Bumperettes painted! Contact Eric at BumperPlugs, he will fix you up!

Last edited by gota911; 09-20-2007 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:01 AM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it helps to make a NB look a little wider..

Last edited by porsche-t; 01-15-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:59 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

looks great speed, very tastefull and done right. Enjoy and go hit some tracks!
Old 09-20-2007, 11:24 AM
SMR996
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job Speed........... Looking for a gurney flap as I type this.....
Old 09-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger B
Car looks good, but the GT spoilers scream "Pontiac" to me.

can we see your 911? i bet you i can point out more pontiac in your car than this dude's car.

SpeedDog, that is the one thing i was recommending that you add to complete the look of your already good looking 996. it definitely complements the rear and brings the level to "even" from the profile view. i absolutely dig it!

if i saw your car on the road, i'd def give u props. screw all the haters out there with their stock looking might as well be a vw jetta 911s.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:00 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks really good! I like the yellow calipers on the yellow car.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:44 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8330
Looks very good
Thanks much appreciated
Originally Posted by michael.s.under
damn buddy you have been hitting them hard. I personally love the gt's! Your car never ceases to amaze!
Thank you for the great feedback
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Steven:
Are those catheters???? There's an easier way to get rid of excess beer...

I like the yellow brakes....they go well with the black wheels....you've done a lot to that car since I last saw you....lookin' good.
Not a
I'm hot on the trail of a TT....got the insurance payoff today.....

Chuck
I wouldn't drink out of those bottles in the pics, they are brake fluid catheters
These are the only mods I have done...I am now skint
Keep us posted on the TT progress
Originally Posted by Holger B
Car looks good, but the GT spoilers scream "Pontiac" to me. Gurney Flap looks sharp.

Wondering how that paint on the calipers & rotors will hold up on a hot day at the track. Maybe better than I'm thinking...
Huuh on the GT Spoiler look. Well it is different but I was really convinced by another on this thread after seeing his (porsche-t). I have reports that the painted calipers hold-up perfectly on the track.
Originally Posted by juankimalo
Good looking car!
Speed demon = awesome yellow speed

Everytime we do a new mod is a total satisfaction
Thanks my fellow Rennlist'r from Spain that provides us with some great photos of drives through the country
Originally Posted by chsu74
Nice looking car Steven. I personally like the GT spoilers because it gives the NB body a visual wider stance. I don't know if it has any aerodynamic attributes though.
TY...I don't believe there is any aero gains.
Originally Posted by FLY996
I love the The Wicker Bill / Gurney Flap (good to keep it black). If I were to paint the calipers I would have exactly color matched the car otherwise the closeness but difference in color is noticeable. Maybe it looks good in person though. Good job painting the hubs. You may want to consider doing the exhaust tips in black to match the other black pieces. Overall nice job, looking good!
Yep like I mentioned I went with black because I felt like it broke-up the deck lid and wing, the wing from the back seemed to blend into the car too much (it had it painted flat black and cleared while at the body shop because the factory finish was not consistent in being flat black, plus I was worried about when I detail the car and wax on it). Yep you can see the difference in colour of the calipers in person but it still works for me. To get them painted (powder coated) the same colour as the car would have been over $1,000 and then rebuilt on top of that. I have been thinking about the tips too being black. TY
Originally Posted by gota911
WOW, great mods and nice pics. The calipers and "top hats" look great. P also painted my calipers and top hats. Nicely done!

Now all you need is to get your Bumperettes painted! Contact Eric at BumperPlugs, he will fix you up!
Thanks mate. I actually have decided to leave the bumperettes black as it works with the black license plate frame and now the wicker bill.
Originally Posted by porsche-t
I think it helps to make a NB look a little wider..
your car actually made this decision easier as I love white cars with body kits.
Originally Posted by redridge
looks great speed, very tastefull and done right. Enjoy and go hit some tracks!
Thanks buddy
Originally Posted by SMR996
Great job Speed........... Looking for a gurney flap as I type this.....
Part Number: 996-512-988-00 - should be able to get it from any Porsche dealer, cost was $278.19 though...ouch.
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
can we see your 911? i bet you i can point out more pontiac in your car than this dude's car.

SpeedDog, that is the one thing i was recommending that you add to complete the look of your already good looking 996. it definitely complements the rear and brings the level to "even" from the profile view. i absolutely dig it!

if i saw your car on the road, i'd def give u props. screw all the haters out there with their stock looking might as well be a vw jetta 911s.
Ben thanks I thought you would like the mild mods and yes you were the original person to recommend the GT Spoilers, much appreciated.
Originally Posted by hwk72
Looks really good! I like the yellow calipers on the yellow car.
Thanks

Quick Reply: 3 New Mods