Old 09-07-2007, 01:55 AM
2fas4u
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking tinted windows

Originally Posted by td873
A double flash is the unwritten sign.

-td
I flash once, because I have tinted windows and you can't see inside. So I'm a flasher...
Old 09-07-2007, 01:56 AM
John Henry III - AZ
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ben, Is just being honest. You gotta respect that.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:43 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I have to waive everytime I see a Porsche in the Newport Beach area........Porsches are like camry's here....Lambo's (only the Murcielago's) and Ferrari's (actually only the Enzo is considered special around here since you see the 430 spider here a couple of time everyday). Must suck to be rich!! ...NOT!!
Old 09-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Bucket_hat_Loren
Instructor

My dad owned a 1969 911T for about 20 years and it was definitely the double flash thing. I picked it up from him.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:23 AM
desidon
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Spot on regarding the Corvette owners. I used to own one and the wave completion ratio was > 90%
Old 09-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

This one:

or if it's someone I know, I'm shooting bird!
Old 09-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I've thrown hot coffee on passing Porsche's, it's not subtle but it's effective.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:33 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have always waved....but, I've seen this kind of thread before...

Consider the motorcycle post below and start substituting models and marques...and ....

To Wave or Not to Wave
By Shalom Auslander

I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community - a brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan. Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassel handlebars and the studded luggage and the half helmets - God, they drive me crazy.

You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, do I hate those guys. I don't wave at them either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180 degree German engines. God, I hate them. They're almost as bad as those old bastards on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they have got all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else Grandpa, and while you’re at it, I'm not waving to you.

Ducati guys - I don't wave at them either. Why they don't spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color as long as it is red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what a Desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. They always have those stupid helmets sitting on the top of their stupid heads, and God forbid they should ever wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over at me and you know what I do? I don't wave. I just keep going.

Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? Team Green my ***. I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

I ride a Honda. I'll only wave at Honda guys but even then, I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah like you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway. Nice crotch, by the way. Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from me, and by the way, neither will the guys in two piece leathers.

And I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at - those guys with the helmets with loud paint jobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet - like I'm going to wave back at that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor.
Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.

To me, motorcycling is like a family, a close knit brotherhood of people who ride Hondas, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid color helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands). And isn't that what really makes riding so special.

------------------------

We remain tribal.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:02 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by John Henry III - AZ
Andy, Whats a Boxster Poser?
I've been burned saying this before...but...I find most Boxster owners are just people who want to look cool in a Porsche, without knowing anything about the marque. I call them posers.

Note, I didn't say ALL Boxster owners, just most of the ones I have come across!
Old 09-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
I've been burned saying this before...but...I find most Boxster owners are just people who want to look cool in a Porsche, without knowing anything about the marque. I call them posers.

Note, I didn't say ALL Boxster owners, just most of the ones I have come across!
That's OK. I have a shirt that says:
"I know Porsche makes other cars besides the 911, but who cares?"
Old 09-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK

Old 09-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by riad
That's OK. I have a shirt that says:
"I know Porsche makes other cars besides the 911, but who cares?"
Where can I get that shirt? Oh sorry, OT
Old 09-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Blackness
Pro

I wave or flash. I get mixed results, but probably more responses from 911's than Boxsters. I once pulled up next to a Boxster at a traffic light and the guy didn't even look over at me. I promise I didn't have a wide stance or was shuffling my feet to cause him to ignore me.

I don't think I've ever gotten a response from a Cayenne so I've pretty much given up on those.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:58 PM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
I used to be too cool for school and act all hard, but realizing now that there's good to being positive and friendly.
I assume you're joking. I mean, I hope you're joking.

Er, but maybe you're not. You certainly like "acting all hard," to judge by your silly avatar.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:01 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember how happy I was when I first took my '88 944 NA for a ride in 3/02 after getting it home. I was waiting at a light, when a 993 across the intersection flashed me, and the owner gave me a wave. I waved back, and thought "there is a cool Porsche owner, waving at me in my $6k 944!

Quick Reply: 911 greeting etiquette