996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PA/NJ/NY Final Fling: Fall Foliage on October 13th

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 05:15 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

We haven't scheduled a formal stop into this drive because there isn't a good place that can take so many cars.

he way we'll run this one is to tell people that they can stop as suits them and catch up. The route is very easy, so the chances of getting lost are low.

I'm going to take another look at the route tonight to see if I missed anything on the first pass that might work for us.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:31 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I should be there as well. I made the last three, so I don't want to miss this one.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:57 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the crazy thought of washing the car the morning of...which means about 5:30am, so I can be done by 6:00 to get going and make it to Lambertville by 7:30 or so.

Life is too complicated - I may arrive in a semi-clean 911 !
Old 10-10-2007, 09:37 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so are you going up to high point monument? if so , there is a fabulus rd call Hawk's nest like 5 miles away...nice scenic ride to relax on along the delaware river.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:40 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

here are some pictures and a video
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2...11412446YCseds

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FN_JMgj4FT8

not my video btw..but cool song
Old 10-10-2007, 09:43 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

it's better on a bike...
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AJHSRipGfSc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AJHSRipGfSc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

bunch more
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4uAE...awk%27s%20Nets
Old 10-10-2007, 10:03 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looks nice, but I would hate to wind up behind a bike!
Old 10-10-2007, 10:04 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

trust me, there will be LOTS of bikes up there if it's nice out...and they fly..i ride my ducati there all the time.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:14 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I plan on driving to Lambertville (1 hour), riding up to High Point park (2 plus hours), then heading directly back home from the park (1 hour). I wont have time to do more driving on that nice mountain road - this time anyway. Plus, that single lane, rocks on one side, cliff on the other kinda scares me!
Old 10-10-2007, 10:55 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

I know about Hawks nest - unfortunately, it burned down a couple of years ago. I'm told that it was a good drive and view though.

We'll not be going up there, as it's quite a trek on top of an already long drive. Locals are free to head up there if they choose, but I'm guessing that many will share Andy's sentiment that it's best to head home from High Point.

We were orginally going to return back to PA via DWG, but decided against it once we saw how bad the traffic was and decided that Highpoint should be the sole focus. I think most will be happy with that and I'm sure that they'll be glad to avoid the bad traffic that would have come from heading through DWG.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, I'm up in Massachusetts this week, so made sure that I washed the car last weekend before I left.

...looking forward to being home on Friday. Getting up early on Saturday is going to be tough after a week of meetings running until late.

Originally Posted by AndyK
I plan on driving to Lambertville (1 hour), riding up to High Point park (2 plus hours), then heading directly back home from the park (1 hour). I wont have time to do more driving on that nice mountain road - this time anyway. Plus, that single lane, rocks on one side, cliff on the other kinda scares me!
Old 10-11-2007, 10:31 AM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
I know about Hawks nest - unfortunately, it burned down a couple of years ago. I'm told that it was a good drive and view though.

We'll not be going up there, as it's quite a trek on top of an already long drive. Locals are free to head up there if they choose, but I'm guessing that many will share Andy's sentiment that it's best to head home from High Point.

We were orginally going to return back to PA via DWG, but decided against it once we saw how bad the traffic was and decided that Highpoint should be the sole focus. I think most will be happy with that and I'm sure that they'll be glad to avoid the bad traffic that would have come from heading through DWG.
it is literally 7 miles...i live in the area. The Hawks nest resturant burned long ago...but the area which is also called Hawks nest (and the road, ny rt 97) is still there and is DEFINETLY worth the 10 minute or less ride...
Old 10-11-2007, 10:40 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have to figure driving at 6am toward PA, my car will be covered in bugs by the time I get to Lambertville anyway - so why wash it again!?

Will we all park at High Point and have a meet and great, at least for a few minutes?

PS--I was looking forward to relaxing at home on Friday, but instead I will be driving into Westchester to pick up my new-to-me winter 17" rims and tires! Another 3 hours of driving - before the 4 hours of driving! D'oh!
Old 10-11-2007, 11:29 AM
inactiveuser6117
AutoX

Default Hawk's Nest aka Route 97

Originally Posted by nickg
it is literally 7 miles...i live in the area. The Hawks nest resturant burned long ago...but the area which is also called Hawks nest (and the road, ny rt 97) is still there and is DEFINETLY worth the 10 minute or less ride...
I plan to get some people together for a drive on Rt 97 sometime after we arrive at High Point. See earlier in this thread for some other people who also expressed interest. Anyway, since you know the area I would appreciate some help working out the details when we're at High Point.

See you Saturday.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:03 PM
Rocketeer
Advanced

I am going to attempt to wash the car on Friday night...(I am crazy...) I am leaving at 6:15 to make it to Lambertville by 7:15, I will be leaving from Morristown (down 287 South to 202 South) anyone going my way at the same time?

Quick Reply: PA/NJ/NY Final Fling: Fall Foliage on October 13th