Sponsored by:

PA/NJ/NY Final Fling: Fall Foliage on October 13th

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
Maybe the drivers from North Jersey/New York should meet you up at HighPoint?

I know it takes me about and hour and a half to get down to Lambertville and probably about the same to get to High Point.
Yeah, this is a tough one for those in your position. I would totally understand if you chose to do that and would try to get the information to you to allow it to happen.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:03 PM
cvhs18472
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are in the Pocono Region but we went on the last covered bridge tour and enjoyed the ride and the company. We will see you there. Ed & Terry
Old 09-15-2007, 08:05 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cvhs18472
My wife and I are in the Pocono Region but we went on the last covered bridge tour and enjoyed the ride and the company. We will see you there. Ed & Terry
Your wife's name is ED? Oh, wait.... I guess that's you..... so your wife is Terry. Got it!

Obviously, just kidding and having a little fun here!
Old 09-15-2007, 10:48 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Okay - I just completed a satelite map run through of the route - this is going to be easy.

Looks like a good mixture of terrain. We'll end up going through a couple of small towns - I could avoid them, but to be honest it's not worth the effort and complications that it causes. I think I have it on my calendar to do the dry run on Sept 30th, so that's something to look forward to.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts

A couple of questions if you don't mind:

Using Mapquest, it looks like your starting point is about 5 hrs. from me in MA. Where would we end up and approx. at what time? If I do this, I'd probably stay at a hotel the night before and just want to figure if I'd want to stay over or head home on Saturday PM.

Does each participant get a printed route at the starting point?

Thanks, sounds like it might be fun.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Charlie C
A couple of questions if you don't mind:

Using Mapquest, it looks like your starting point is about 5 hrs. from me in MA. Where would we end up and approx. at what time? If I do this, I'd probably stay at a hotel the night before and just want to figure if I'd want to stay over or head home on Saturday PM.

Does each participant get a printed route at the starting point?

Thanks, sounds like it might be fun.
Our Northernmost point will be Highpoint State park, NJ. I can't tell you the exact spot yet, nor an idea of time, as I've not driven it yet.

My estimation of the the route is that we will get to Highpoint somewhere around 11am (depending on if we insert a break and how long we take). I will look for somewhere in the area for us to have lunch, then expect us to be back in Lambertville around 2-3pm. Right now this is just a guess. I will not know for sure until I've done the drive.

We would love to have you along. If you're interested in a hotel room in Lambertville, I believe that Ramp has stayed at the Lambertville Inn on a couple of occasions - you might want to PM him to get the details.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:05 PM
inactiveuser6117
AutoX

Just to clarify, you plan to drive Lambertsville -> High Point -> Lambertsville? Do you have a different route planned for the return trip?

Also, I notice that High Point is very near Port Jervis, NY and the associated "back road roller coaster" known as Route 97. For those of us that are into that sort of thing (more than a few of us, I think), it might be fun to detour up 97 for a little while before heading back to meet the rest of the group. Thoughts?
Old 09-19-2007, 09:26 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

The drive will be as you state Lambertville to High Point and back again.

At this point I do not know if we will take the same route back as we take up there. I'm thinking of coming back via the Delaware Water Gap, but do not know if that will make for too long a drive. I'm still working that bit out.

As I said in a previous post, the NNJ and NY attendees are free to head off in a different direction as it suits them, as it doesn't make a lot of sense for them to head back down to Lambertville.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:34 PM
cvhs18472
AutoX

As I am from NEPA my wife and I cruise Rt 97 often, and is one of our favorite rides. A good part of it part of it follows the Delaware and if you go north enough you will get to Callicoon which , very early in road racing in the USA, held a couple of really nice races. For those who are in for an adventure, it is a h*ll of a ride. Ed
Old 09-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Right now I'm trying to figure out how we do this without it becoming too long a drive. 97 sounds like a lot of fun, bujt I'm afraid that the detour (on top of the 100 miles to get us to Highpoint) will be too much. I'm also trying to figure out if detouring through the Delaware Water Gap will also make it too long. We'll see.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:10 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

How would people if we did this as a picnic up at Highpoint, rather than finding a placed to eat?

I'm thinking that it would allow you to hang out and socialize.

The other option is for someone to recommend an informal place that can handle a large number of people for lunch at short notice in Port Jervis. Anyone?

Let me know your thoughts.

Looks like I've found us a gas station on rte 23 by Tri State Mall (Cumberland Farms). I'm guessing that there's also food in that complex.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:41 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Okay - Houston, we have a route. Gas Station stop up at highpoint on rte 23. Deli stop a little ways after that and a drive down through Delaware Water Gap. I think we have a pretty drive lined up.

The fun bit is that I have us on I-80 for a few miles before I take us back onto the state roads, so we can play for a few miles and rearrange the line a little.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:14 AM
inactiveuser6117
AutoX

Originally Posted by cvhs18472
As I am from NEPA my wife and I cruise Rt 97 often, and is one of our favorite rides. [...] it is a h*ll of a ride. Ed
Ed, would you be willing to guide a small(er) group of hardcore types on Rt 97 after we reach High Point? Though I suppose if we're just going to stay on Rt 97 and simply turn around after a certain point, not much guidance will be required... Anyone else interested in the Rt 97 "detour" run?

Perhaps I should table this discussion for now -- in some sense I'm thread-jacking -- and we can simply handle this sometime around the deli stop.

Wellardmac: Thanks for setting up this drive. Please count me in.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:12 PM
FirstCayman
6th Gear

Count me in- I'm here from Caymanclub.net. A few folks from there are in on this. I'll have to study this route and especially the starting point. Dont know where Lambertville is yet. Look forward to it....
Old 09-25-2007, 10:16 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FirstCayman
Count me in- I'm here from Caymanclub.net. A few folks from there are in on this. I'll have to study this route and especially the starting point. Dont know where Lambertville is yet. Look forward to it....
Glad to have you along!

For the starting point click on the link above that will take you to Google maps.

The finish point will be Tinicum Park, PA - basically on the opposite side of the Delaware River from where we started.

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...=1&sa=N&tab=wl

Quick Reply: PA/NJ/NY Final Fling: Fall Foliage on October 13th