Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior carbon renewing

Tried searching without success...

My 2000 996 came with these carbon package options:

XMJ REAR SECTION OF CENTRE CONSOLE IN CARBON
XNR CENTRAL AIR VENT MOUNTING IN CARBON
XNX TRIM STRIP IN CARBON
XPY INSTRUMENT SURROUND IN CARBON

The sun has taken its toll on the carbon which is becoming cloudy at the center air vent as shown in the attached pic. The center console and ash tray are also showing considerable cloudiness.

I would like to go back to the carbon fiber if I can get rid of the unsightly cloudiness.

I have yanked out the carbon pieces for the time being and replaced them with different pieces. Doing so has given me the luxury of time to approach this project the right way without rushing. I was hoping someone here has had experience with restoring the epoxy back to original condition and could help me get started on this latest project of mine.

TIA
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2007, 03:08 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm, I'm not sure it can be restored.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:18 AM
Jmakado
Intermediate

I would start with a paint cleaner. For an off the shelf try Meguiar's Deep Crystal Cleaner (step 1). It's a very mild chemical cleaner. If that helps, follow with a polish then wax to help preserve the finish. You could go through the Meguiar's Deep Crystal 3 step system if you like.

If the Step 1 product doesn't have any effect the try an abrasive cleaner next. Meguiar's ScratchX is a great product off the shelf and works well by hand. If you have no luck with that then a machine applied polish would be your next step. I have had good luck using machine polish on faded carbon hoods. However, those usually have a gel coat finish, like a boat. So marine products work best with them.

The trim may be beyond repair, but it wouldn't hurt to try.
Good luck!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:46 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Lightbulb

It is a decidedly frustrating phenomenon. From what I recall, in earlier versions of their carbon fiber efforts, Porsche used an Italian company. Unfortunately, these parts clouded over time, turned a greenish hue, and ultimately cracked. Clearly, the sunlight accelerated this damage. Unfortunately, unless it's cracked you're out of luck with PCNA and a warranty replacement (if you're even still under warranty). In fairness, my CF steering wheel did have cracks and under CPO, PCNA dutifully replaced mine. I was ecstatic. Unfortunately, they did not view the cloudiness as a flaw, only as the sad signs of aging.

Consequently, I've been replacing them with parts from MACarbon. The pieces are pitch black and look fantastic. While they aren't inexpensive, they do cost noticeably less than OEM parts. Give John a call or an email and he'll steer you through the exact details of what you might be able to do to your existing parts, or what it'll cost you to replace them. He's a super guy all around. Indeed, I'm down to the last piece that needs to be swapped out: the 3-piece horseshoe surround. Good luck!

Disclaimer: I have not relationship the company; just one hell of a happy customer to save on replacement parts.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

the clouding is the gelcoat ontop of the carbon fiber turning yellow. take it to a shop and have them wetsand it as far as they can go, then reclear it and it might go away...this might be diffficult with small interior parts tho.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:05 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

nycebo, do you have johns contact info from macarbon....
Old 07-23-2007, 12:09 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

The outer layer on these parts is actually a urethane clear coat, same as the body paint base coat / clear coat. So you can try having a body shop sand and re clear one piece and see if it corrects the problem.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:21 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't noticed any effects yet and I have OEM carbon all over the interior. I do have an issue with the dash CF trim all the way up in the windshield vent area... coming undone due to the CF piece curling from the temperature changes.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:04 PM
Gator911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sand it down and reclear it...
Old 07-23-2007, 03:37 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

You can email him at johnb@macarbon.com or call him at (650) 520-4822. He's a super guy and can tell you as much as you'll want to hear about OEM CF in the car and the impact of the sun. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:55 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Thanks NYCEBO, just the info I needed, you rock!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:34 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Anytime.

Quick Reply: Interior carbon renewing