Sponsored by:

C2 vs C4S driving differences

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 06:24 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkarp
Hi, My name is Josh and I'm looking at buying a 911 (02+). I'm looking at both C2's and C4S's. I know it's hard to explain the way a car drives in writing, but if anyone with experience in both cars can attempt this, that would be great. Anything else that I should be aware of between these 2 models would be appreciated as well. Thanks and I look forward to joining the family!

...josh

P.S. if you guys know of anyone in the Bay Area that's interested in a 2000 M5 (with pretty high miles), please feel free to ask any questions.

Where are you located?
Old 07-18-2007, 06:28 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Again I don't agree, depends on the track and conditions. AWD drive is much easier to drive. C2 requires more smothness where AWD can correct for times when you arn't smooth. You also don't drive AWD the same as a C2, you get on the throtle sooner while corning which I have used many times to catch up to C2s because of that advantage. I don't even have to mention the grip you have in the wet, it's just amazing and quite honestly the track days I have been in during the wet none of the C2s kept pace, some did try but once they felt the *** start to slide the slowed right down. Coming out of a corner I could hit the gas like an idiot see the PSM light come on and watch as I pulled hard on the C2 is my mirror. I mean really hard like a Turbo does to a NA.

GT3 and GT2 classes don't allow AWD. Period. It is an unfair advantage for a few reasons not that I can remeber them but I believe that tire wear was one of them.

I honestly have not that many track days. I started last June. I have 18 days to date with another 8 days planned from today to Sept.
I started in Green and was moved up the second day to yellow and would have skipped yellow all together had I known how to heel and toe. After learning heel and toe I moved up to white on Day 7 where I still remain.

I agree arguing the same thing over and over again is pointless. I didn't buy a C4S for the track. I bought it for a daily driver, including winter, for the widebody, red reflector, front bumber, rear bumper and for the saftly and peace of mind AWD bring to the table. Tracking it is a bonus.
I would be willing to eat my tie if, after you get more track days under your belt, you will not realize that what you are saying is just not correct. It just isn't. Sorry, and it is not about me needing to be correct.

I can agree with you that for DD, you could be happy in both, but the C4S is just not significantly better for the track. Here, see what other track rats have to say: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/365897-c2-vs-c4s-for-track-use.html
Old 07-18-2007, 06:31 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I know of guys who race 996 C2s. I don't know anyone who races a 996 C4S. Why is that if they are so superior?
The reason AWD's are not raced is not because they dont have an advantage....its because alot of rules BAN AWD cars....PERIOD. I do remember the Audi AWD cars BEFORE the AWD ban...they changed the rules because of it.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:34 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by newport996
The reason AWD's are not raced is not because they dont have an advantage....its because alot of rules BAN AWD cars....PERIOD. I do remember the Audi AWD cars BEFORE the AWD ban...they changed the rules because of it.
Stock 996 C2 to Stock 996 C4S . . . you honestly think that the C4S has the advantage? Really?

Also, the C4Ss are not banned in Porsche club racing, NASA racing, or SCCA racing. Why do guys pick C2s over C4Ss then?
Old 07-18-2007, 06:35 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Oh for God's sake. Respond to the point I made in the post rather than trotting that out, which doesn't really say anything. Afterall, was the C2 99-01?

Also, if you were right, why don't they make the GT3 and GT2 variants AWD?

Jim B . .. oh Jim B . . .

As I said before, none of this probably makes any difference to any of us on this board. Buy the one YOU like. But just don't try to say that the C4S is better, or worse yet, a necessity, for the track. It just isn't. Period.

ok...here it is....According to the ruling bodies of the the ACO and ALMS...where Porsche sells race cars to compete in. You must make a car with the engine/drivetrain combo that will race. So for homologation rules they must make a GT3. It has NOTHING to do with the performance issues....
Old 07-18-2007, 06:36 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I would be willing to eat my tie if, after you get more track days under your belt, you will not realize that what you are saying is just not correct. It just isn't. Sorry, and it is not about me needing to be correct.

I can agree with you that for DD, you could be happy in both, but the C4S is just not significantly better for the track. Here, see what other track rats have to say: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365897
I didn't say the C4S is better for the track.

Back to my original post.

the bigger brakes, wider rear wheels and better suspension are great for the track.

Doesn't matter if they are on a C2 or C4 they still are great for the track!

Both are great for the track and both are different. All depends on your driving style and preference
Old 07-18-2007, 06:39 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

ok...here it is....According to the ruling bodies of the the ACO and ALMS...where Porsche sells race cars to compete in. You must make a car with the engine/drivetrain combo that will race. So for homologation rules they must make a GT3. It has NOTHING to do with the performance issues....
OK, so let me get this straight, you are claiming that the stock C4S is significantly better for the track than the stock C2, right?
Old 07-18-2007, 06:41 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disagree, the bigger brakes, wider rear wheels and better suspension are great for the track.

if you are looking for lower track times then you are on the brakes LESS so the need for bigger brakes are not as essential because the main focus is keeping momentum. if you are talking about racing then bigger brakes will help dissipate heat as you dive bomb every corner. not the fastedst way around the track but will gain position if you are wheel to wheel.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:41 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Come on TD "significantly" that can be interpeted many ways. Is the 997 C2 significantly better the 996 C2
Old 07-18-2007, 06:42 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Stock 996 C2 to Stock 996 C4S . . . you honestly think that the C4S has the advantage? Really?

Also, the C4Ss are not banned in Porsche club racing, NASA racing, or SCCA racing. Why do guys pick C2s over C4Ss then?
Um maybe Porsche doesnt make motorsport parts for the AWD systems? Because they officially dont sell a AWD race car....just like they dont make Boxster/Cayman motorsport parts, but many will tell you a stock Cayman S is faster around a track than a stock C2....
Old 07-18-2007, 06:44 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Um maybe Porsche doesnt make motorsport parts for the AWD systems? Because they officially dont sell a AWD race car....just like they dont make Boxster/Cayman motorsport parts, but many will tell you a stock Cayman S is faster around a track than a stock C2....
You are not answering the question at hand: Stock 996 C2 vs. Stock 996 C4S. Which is preferable for track use? Which will turn shorter average lap times with the same experienced driver?
Old 07-18-2007, 06:45 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by karlooz
if you are looking for lower track times then you are on the brakes LESS so the need for bigger brakes are not as essential because the main focus is keeping momentum. if you are talking about racing then bigger brakes will help dissipate heat as you dive bomb every corner. not the fastedst way around the track but will gain position if you are wheel to wheel.
I think your right there. Most of the time I think I am dive bombing every corner to catch up to the guy in front of me. So I can pass. I guess it probably is a slower lap time but at least I am passing people
Old 07-18-2007, 06:46 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Come on TD "significantly" that can be interpeted many ways. Is the 997 C2 significantly better the 996 C2

No look, you guys were saying that the C4S was an advantage on the track.

I think the C4S is tremendous, and an excellent choice for a dual use car. No disagreement there. In fact, it is probably the most beautiful 996 variant, and very practical as a DD.

But when I hear people say it is "better" for the track, it makes me cringe. It may be better on rainy days (I will give you that), but under normal TRACK conditions, the C2 is an advantage, and the "upgrades" offered by the C4S are a disadvantage.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:47 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

I think your right there. Most of the time I think I am dive bombing every corner to catch up to the guy in front of me. So I can pass. I guess it probably is a slower lap time but at least I am passing people
All that matters is that you are having fun. That's it. AWD v. RWD is irrelevant. The fact that we can even have this debate is proof that we are all blessed beyond most of our own realization.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:52 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it all comes down to pwer to weight ratio on the track (let's assume dry track). the c2 is close to 300 lbs LIGHTER than the c4s. the c2 having a 9:1 WT/HP ratio and the 10:1 ratio. the c2 will be quicker in acceleration and will handle better in the corners. a lighter car is also easier on brakes.

Quick Reply: C2 vs C4S driving differences