Sponsored by:

C2 vs C4S driving differences

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007 | 06:52 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
OK, so let me get this straight, you are claiming that the stock C4S is significantly better for the track than the stock C2, right?
I NEVER said that...I just said that the blanket statement of a C2 is better than a C4 is not really true and your "Then why dont they race them" comment is a bit skewed....Like I said...I would bet under the same experienced driver a Cayman S is faster than a C2...so why dont they race a Cayman S? Its not because of performance. Different drivers prefer different things. Hans Stuck who has driven and raced just about EVERY modern Porsche prefers the AWD car...He has more track time than probably ANYONE on this board...so is he wrong? I drove both cars and i liked the AWD...am I a track junky? No, and if I was, getting rid of weight would probably be more beneficial to more traction...but it would depend on the track and the driver.
Old 07-18-2007 | 06:56 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by newport996
I NEVER said that...I just said that the blanket statement of a C2 is better than a C4 is not really true and your "Then why dont they race them" comment is a bit skewed....Like I said...I would bet under the same experienced driver a Cayman S is faster than a C2...so why dont they race a Cayman S? Its not because of performance. Different drivers prefer different things. Hans Stuck who has driven and raced just about EVERY modern Porsche prefers the AWD car...He has more track time than probably ANYONE on this board...so is he wrong? I drove both cars and i liked the AWD...am I a track junky? No, and if I was, getting rid of weight would probably be more beneficial to more traction...but it would depend on the track and the driver.
Sure you implied it. The issue at hand was whether a stock C4S is better FOR TRACK USE than a stock C2. There were several posts that stated, explicitly or implicitly, that the "upgrades" for the C4S made it a better car for the track than the C2. I said that, under normal conditions (no rain or snow), the "upgrades" of the stock C4S would actually be a disadvantage on the track vis-a-vis the stock C2. Agree or disagree? That has been the sole subject I have addressed in this thread.

Nobody wants an AWD GT3 or GT2. Why do you think that is?

Now, I have always been talking about stock cars. IF you could get an AWD car that is as light as a RWD and as mechanically reliable, and you could tune it so that it doesn't push like a pig, then, well, SURE it might be better. But that was never the question at issue in this thread.
Old 07-18-2007 | 07:00 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by karlooz
it all comes down to pwer to weight ratio on the track (let's assume dry track). the c2 is close to 300 lbs LIGHTER than the c4s. the c2 having a 9:1 WT/HP ratio and the 10:1 ratio.
well wouldn't say bigger brakes allow u to brake latter and harder, wider rear to provide more grip and awd to get on the gas earlier. Don't those make up for the weight.
If those don't help I quite honestly don't know how I after coming out of a corner, I can be closing the gap on a C2 thats in front of me.
Old 07-18-2007 | 07:03 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by jumper5836
well wouldn't say bigger brakes allow u to brake latter and harder, wider rear to provide more grip and awd to get on the gas earlier. Don't those make up for the weight.
If those don't help I quite honestly don't know I after coming out of a corner how I can be closing the gap on a C2 thats in front of me.
psst. It is probably more the driver than the car, particularly in the more novice run groups.

Due to the importance of unsprung weight, you want to run the lightest brakes you can without causing you problems. The C2 brakes are more than adequate. Since they are lighter, they are better.
Old 07-18-2007 | 07:08 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Nobody wants an AWD GT3 or GT2. Why do you think that is?
It isn't possible, but if it were. +1 for me on a 997 GT3 and can I also have get that in a Cab while your at it.
I would want it for the looks, the open top and the engine.
Old 07-18-2007 | 07:12 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

It isn't possible, but if it were. +1 for me on a 997 GT3 and can I also have get that in a Cab while your at it.
I would want it for the looks, the open top and the engine.
Stepping slowly away from the bar . . . but not before I have grabbed my drink . . .
Old 07-18-2007 | 07:20 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I gotta jump back in on this one. "Better for the track" means different things to different people. I agree with TD, the lighter C2s will probably turn lower lap times than the C4S, no data to support this, just my gut feeling.

However, for the casual DE guy, I think the C4S is a better choice as it's more forgiving. AWD is way more forgiving in the corners, and you'll be hard pressed to burn up those huge brakes.

If you get the track bug and get into club racing, then you may end up with a GT3. So then you could argue that you learned to drive in an AWD car so you have some re-learning to do,, and that's probably true too.

That being said, I know guys who started out with a C2 or a GT3 as thier first track car had a blast. I think it's a matter of persona preference.
Old 07-18-2007 | 07:22 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Stepping slowly away from the bar . . . but not before I have grabbed my drink . . .

you see not ever body would buy a GT3 for the track. In fact If I had a new one, it probably wouldn't see the track. I would be to afraid that I'd crack it up. Well maybe if I were rich but that ain't the case.
Old 07-18-2007 | 07:26 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

I think the C4S is an outstanding car. I can certainly understand why some prefer it over the C2, even if they want to also use it for the track.

I just jump into the argument when I hear people suggesting that the "upgrades" of the stock C4S are an advantage on the track. They just are not, of course unless it is raining. Both the C2 and the C4S are ridiculously easy for noobies to drive on the track. They are extraordinarily forgiving, and they hide all manner of driver sin, so I don't think any noobies should feel like they "need" a C4S for the track to make it even easier for them.

Buy what you want. If you want to track more than drive on the road, many, but not all, prefer C2.
Old 07-18-2007 | 07:53 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If those don't help I quite honestly don't know how I after coming out of a corner, I can be closing the gap on a C2 thats in front of me.
the wider rear stance of the the c4s will give marginally better grip but at the same it may increase understeer. not so good if you are already understeering heavily. 300 lbs is A LOT of weight to overcome.

i would agree that a wider stance would be beneficial but both front and back and at gt3RSR track widths not the the 20mm wider rear track of the c4s.

btw, the c2 can fit some big meats under the fender. 9.5x12 is very doable and some have been able to fit a 10" up front.

re: closing the gap on a C2.... different drivers. the other driver must not have carried as much momentum though the corner as you.
Old 07-18-2007 | 07:56 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

i don't buy that the c4s i more forgiving. you can make the c2 understeer as much as the c4s if you want "easier to drive"

AWD is VERY forging when you throw 200 more HP and try to get all that power down to the wheels, i.e. TT.

Originally Posted by PJorgen
I gotta jump back in on this one. "Better for the track" means different things to different people. I agree with TD, the lighter C2s will probably turn lower lap times than the C4S, no data to support this, just my gut feeling.

However, for the casual DE guy, I think the C4S is a better choice as it's more forgiving. AWD is way more forgiving in the corners, and you'll be hard pressed to burn up those huge brakes.

If you get the track bug and get into club racing, then you may end up with a GT3. So then you could argue that you learned to drive in an AWD car so you have some re-learning to do,, and that's probably true too.

That being said, I know guys who started out with a C2 or a GT3 as thier first track car had a blast. I think it's a matter of persona preference.
Old 07-18-2007 | 08:19 PM
Caguy
Advanced

Thread drift...poor guy just wanted some info and got everyone into a tizzy (is that a real word?)
Old 07-18-2007 | 08:23 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Caguy
Thread drift...poor guy just wanted some info and got everyone into a tizzy (is that a real word?)
Well, actually, Rob (Riad) answered his question accurately, and in the very first post. Spot on.

Everything else after that is entertainment (mixed with information). I would view it as a bonus.
Old 07-18-2007 | 09:34 PM
jkarp
Advanced

Originally Posted by Caguy
haha, i just feel bad that on my 2nd post ever here, i started such a sh*tstorm ;-)

...josh
Old 07-18-2007 | 10:04 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

IF you could get an AWD car that is as light as a RWD and as mechanically reliable, and you could tune it so that it doesn't push like a pig, then, well, SURE it might be better.
This is exactly what Porsche attempted to and nearly achieved!
I'm not advocating AWD unless you really want it for DD security, it just isn't really that negative a feature on the 911 some believe it to be.

Quick Reply: C2 vs C4S driving differences