And yet another oil thread...NO FLAMING PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 01:19 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default And yet another oil thread...NO FLAMING PLEASE

Hi all,

I've searched "synthetic" here, but only one major thread popped up....not enough info. there for my issue.

My main cuestion (yes...my "cue" button is still busted) is simply this....must I use synthetic oil? From what I see here, most say use Mobil 1 15W-50 for year round use.....does that sound right? Just wondering, I'll need to add a bit of oil soon. I've put approx 1600 miles on my car this past 5 or 6 weeks (yes Phil.....SIXTEEN HUNDRED miles!!). Between my newness to the car and just wanting to drive the heck out of it. Now, I have noticed that at warm temps....the oil level is down one bar.

Any idea how much oil constitutes one bar on the display? I have no idea what oil is in the car now. Mileage when I got the car was 35,100....car now has 36,700. I am going with the above oil unless I shouldn't. Also, I saw some mention of adding some dyno oil too??? Not too sure on that.

Last edited by JBRipps; 07-04-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:43 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JBRipps
Hi all,

I've searched "synthetic" here, but only one major thread popped up....not enough info. there for my issue.

My main cuestion (yes...my "cue" button is still busted) is simply this....must I use synthetic oil? From what I see here, most say use Mobil 1 15W-50 for year round use.....does that sound right? Just wondering, I'll need to add a bit of oil soon. I've put approx 1600 miles on my car this past 5 or 6 weeks (yes Phil.....SIXTEEN HUNDRED miles!!). Between my newness to the car and just wanting to drive the heck out of it, I have noticed that at warm temps....the oil level is down one bar.

Any idea how much oil constitutes one bar on the display? I have no idea what oil is in the car now. Mileage when I got the car was 35,100....car now has 36,700. I am going with the above oil unless I shouldn't. Also, I saw some mention of adding some dyno oil too??? Not too sure on that.
Oil? Did you say OIL? Here we go again!

First off, most guys here do not say 15W-50! A few say 15W-50 while MOST guys use 0W-40.

While I don't know the exact amout one bar represents, one bar low is not much, maybe about 0.25 quart. I never add oil until I am 2 to 3 bars low, and then make sure I don't overfill. Most times I run 1 bar low, even after I add oil. Overfill is worse than being a tad low, IMO.

Rest assured, you will get a ton of replies.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your owner's manual for details on the level indicator (and if you don't have a manual, get one - they're pretty handy). The 1999 manual I have says 1.5 liters (about 1.6 quarts) from the min to the max marks on the gauge. Incidentally, this is the same range between the min and max marks on the dipstick. Not wanting to flame the oil jihad, but adding a little Mobil 1 15W-50 or 0W-40 before the next oil change isn't going to significantly change what is already in the engine so just use whatever you want.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've put approx 1600 miles on my car this past 5 or 6 weeks (yes Phil.....SIXTEEN HUNDRED miles!!). Between my newness to the car and just wanting to drive the heck out of it.
OMG!! Did you say sixteen hundred miles in less than 2 months?? Oh, the humanity....
Old 07-04-2007, 03:35 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Oil? Did you say OIL? Here we go again!

First off, most guys here do not say 15W-50! A few say 15W-50 while MOST guys use 0W-40.

While I don't know the exact amout one bar represents, one bar low is not much, maybe about 0.25 quart. I never add oil until I am 2 to 3 bars low, and then make sure I don't overfill. Most times I run 1 bar low, even after I add oil. Overfill is worse than being a tad low, IMO.

Rest assured, you will get a ton of replies.
+1 on the 0W-40 and waiting until you're 2-3 bars below max. Makes sure you're car is on level ground because it can affect the gauge by 2-3 bars if you're not! Now I'm off to get my
Old 07-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

From what I see here, most say use Mobil 1 15W-50 for year round use.....does that sound right? Just wondering
That's a good one....

I thought it was the 4th of July today, not April 1st.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:50 PM
rleeq
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The original fill is 0W 40 Mobil One. I suggest you use any of the Porsche approved oils listed on the attached llink. IMO adding dyno has no benefit; its better to focus on changing the oil when necessary.
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...ownload&id=357
Old 07-04-2007, 05:17 PM
treetrimmer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jon, I'm on the same learning curve as far as these cars go. According to the dealer, (and CV here it seems), 0W-40 Mobil 1 seems to be the beverage of choice. I have heard that the variocam does not like other (heavier) grades, so performance can even be affected somewhat. The only exception would be extremely hot ambient conditions or track use in the hot summer, then 15W-50 Mobil 1.

Now I am just repeating info from dealer service dept., but it is a huge dealer where I worked 20 years ago and the same service manager is still there. So..., TONS of real-world experience of customers + the latest service bulletins from Stuttgart.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:18 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Great....so glad I posted now.....that old threat is dated I guess....or maybe I just misunderstood it. Anyhow....Synthetic 0W-40 it is....thanks so much. I'm sure that oil will fine as well then on the track....when I go....as I'm just one notch above beginner's there. I'm sure they'll demote me now that I have a different car.....no biggie...I need the instruction anyway.

Phil....I actually think I've racked up that mileage under a month...or just about that time frame. Geez....I LOVE this car.

See guys....that wasn't so bad....no craziness on another oil thread.....at least not yet. Why can't I just use normal castrol dyno oil? KIDDING.

j
Old 07-04-2007, 07:04 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Great....so glad I posted now.....that old threat is dated I guess....or maybe I just misunderstood it. Anyhow....Synthetic 0W-40 it is....thanks so much. I'm sure that oil will fine as well then on the track....when I go....as I'm just one notch above beginner's there. I'm sure they'll demote me now that I have a different car.....no biggie...I need the instruction anyway.

Phil....I actually think I've racked up that mileage under a month...or just about that time frame. Geez....I LOVE this car.

See guys....that wasn't so bad....no craziness on another oil thread.....at least not yet. Why can't I just use normal castrol dyno oil? KIDDING.

j
Jon - as for the craziness, well we thought we would cut you a little slack.... particularly since you don't even know how to spell your first name... pssst....you forgot the "h"
Old 07-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Jon .... particularly since you don't even know how to spell your first name... pssst....you forgot the "h"
Wise guy hey.......
Old 07-04-2007, 08:39 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Any idea how much oil constitutes one bar on the display?

I believe that it's .4 liter.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:49 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Thanks all.....that sounds high fast1....no?

Funny stuff on the no "h" Tim....but realistically, it has made more people remember my name rather than forget it. And I was always told I was "special"....lol.

JON JON JON JON JON JON ....soooooo much cooler than the traditional way....especially if your full name is JONATHAN. LOL.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:42 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks all.....that sounds high fast1....no?

Funny stuff on the no "h" Tim....but realistically, it has made more people remember my name rather than forget it. And I was always told I was "special"....lol.

JON JON JON JON JON JON ....soooooo much cooler than the traditional way....especially if your full name is JONATHAN. LOL.
Yeah, people have always told me that I am "special" too. They all said I could qualify for the Special Olympics!
Old 07-04-2007, 10:53 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if you get a TT it wont matter what you use because the Turbo EATS oil!
OK all kidding aside I use Mobil 1 0W-40, I had 70,000 K on the car , driven HARD and never had a problem.

Quick Reply: And yet another oil thread...NO FLAMING PLEASE