996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Rear Badge: Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 01:16 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All Porsches should have a front and rear badge. Same goes for Ferrari.
Debadged is nice for Merc and BMW and some of the imports but Porsche is different, its a racing thing.
Also, have you considered Carrera graphics for your doors? Would look great on yellow and if you don't like it you can simply peel it off since its only vinyl.
It's retro classic. Reminds me of the first time I noticed a 911 as a kid, yellow speedster in the early 80's.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/gr...1/ws997pg2.jpg

For the rear badge I would add a simple 911 in a gun metal or Titanium color. I had bumperplugs paint a 986 in seal gray and the S in guards red. But I'm sure you could give it a shot as a DIY project or have a local body shop do it.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:21 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
Also, have you considered Carrera graphics for your doors? Would look great on yellow and if you don't like it you can simply peel it off since its only vinyl.
You just validated my point on the types of folks that love the badged look.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:27 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All Porsches should have a front and rear badge. Same goes for Ferrari.
Debadged is nice for Merc and BMW and some of the imports but Porsche is different, its a racing thing.

For the rear badge I would add a simple 911 in a gun metal or Titanium color. I had bumperplugs paint a 986 in seal gray and the S in guards red. But I'm sure you could give it a shot as a DIY project or have a local body shop do it.
perfectlap, thanks for your input.

I have not considered graphics on the car and to be honest I would not, too much rice burner look for me. I like the clean Speed Yellow look with only a hint of other colour here and there, this colour being the same (Black is the colour of choice currently).

I have new wheels on the way and they may make an impact on the badge, they arrive on Monday.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOLOL

hey dude, what wheels did you decide on?
Old 06-15-2007, 01:35 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Carrera graphics rice burner? LOL Ferry Porsche himself had these on his personal Carrera which resurfaced in a recent issue of Excellence. His Carrera graphics were painted on while the factory Carreras had the vinyl graphics. He also had the chrome trim kept to a minimum and opted for discreet black trim mouldings around the windows.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Ferry Porsche is dead.

Putting vinyl graphics even on the GT3 RS is kinda... over the top for me.

DO NOT put graphics on your 911.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:44 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Carrera graphics rice burner? LOL Ferry Porsche himself had these on his personal Carrera which resurfaced in a recent issue of Excellence. His Carrera graphics were painted on while the factory Carreras had the vinyl graphics. He also had the chrome trim kept to a minimum and opted for discreet black trim mouldings around the windows.
I hear you but around where I live, I would blend in with the rice burners, they have graphics all over them, it's just the scene around here. There are not too many Porsches here so I do not want to blend in but stick out. If I lived in an area where there was more Porsches, then people would accept graphics.

So to sum this up, in my area graphics is nothing new and know one would appreciate the value they have on the car, only me.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:54 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Ferry Porsche Lives!!
allot of people are influenced by what Import tuners do (I think they popoularized the whole debadged and door handle-less look) with their cars and forget the history of Porsche which is long and important.
Import tuners copy Porsche and Ferrari, not the other way around.
If you look at the 997 restyling reverting back to the 993 look, Porsche seems to agree that history and tradition are important in design. But I still prefer the 996 to the 993 9 times out 10. Incorporating the 1995 LeMans GT1 headlights into the 1999-01 Carreas and 96-04 Boxsters was a great move forward in design.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

pls get over your porsche ***** attitude. import dudes DO NOT copy no 911 and it's not nearly as vaunted as some of you guys make it out to be.

it's a fine car with a long history, but it ain't no f-car.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:09 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's an old 550. Notice the lack of a badge and it still looks nice. Below it, you'll see another Porsche with a badge. They both look great. It's a preference thing. Pick what you like and be done with it. I'm outta here.
Attached Images   
Old 06-15-2007, 02:10 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

perfectlap, to be honest I did not buy a Porsche for nostalgic reasons, but if I wanted to I would be looking at keeping the car in it's original stock configuration. My car has already been modified and so it is now being designed around my taste, and that taste does not include graphics.

I am not influenced by the import tuners, I just do not want to look like them.

Maybe one day I will own 2 Porsches and then I can have my stock one and modified one.

Again I appreciate your input and honesty and understand that Porsche history is important.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:13 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

oh yeah i forgot to include Lamborghini, the import tuners copy them as well. Japanese racing programs like Mazda and Honda make excellent sports cars with great racing results in all manner of formulas from LeMans to Nippon. But Don't lump them in with import tuners who put sports cars on 30+ pound 19" chrome wheels and non-functional spoilers.

I didn't mean to start a debate with the graphics suggestion, just wanted to point out that Porsche have been doing it for a long time now. Long before the fast and the furious crowd came around.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:24 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
That was my thought too.

BBZZZZZZ. Debadging is a FACTORY option with Porsche. It has nothing to do with whether the car has been repainted or not. If you want to know whether it has been repainted, it is easy enough to find out . . .
Old 06-15-2007, 02:24 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by nycebo
Look at TD's post #45 on this thread. He has the same exhaust tips that I have and they fill out the bumper much more fully than say, post #42. I won't say for sure about his (as one never knows), but mine are OEM.
Most everything on my car is OEM . . .
Old 06-15-2007, 02:27 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Ferry Porsche Lives!!
allot of people are influenced by what Import tuners do (I think they popoularized the whole debadged and door handle-less look) with their cars and forget the history of Porsche which is long and important.
Import tuners copy Porsche and Ferrari, not the other way around.
If you look at the 997 restyling reverting back to the 993 look, Porsche seems to agree that history and tradition are important in design. But I still prefer the 996 to the 993 9 times out 10. Incorporating the 1995 LeMans GT1 headlights into the 1999-01 Carreas and 96-04 Boxsters was a great move forward in design.
Debadging is a factory option at Porsche. When I used to live in Deutschland, I saw more debadged cars than I saw cars with all of the bling . . . You know what you are driving, why do you need to tell anyone else.

And the racing thing . . . how many of you "race" your cars. Talk about ricer/poseur . . .

Quick Reply: Rear Badge: Yes or No?