Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

why is the 993 worth so much more than a 996?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
This is the only reason to me to move to water.

Yes and no, for the first statement, it depends on many more variables. Cylinder wall thickness, cam specs (duration and overlap), cylinder head config., compression ratio, etc....
You say it is not an issue with water, you will have to increase volume and surface area of the radiator to adjust to heat dissipation, same with air.

Came out around the same time actually....
wtf are u smoking dude
Old 03-18-2008, 10:55 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

arent the aircooled really oil cooled... hence the air/oil heat exchanger up front.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:25 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
arent the aircooled really oil cooled... hence the air/oil heat exchanger up front.
I think they are all oil cooled, just different ways of cooling the oil.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:00 AM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isn't it true that Porsche went to water cooled because of noise suppression and emissions issues and NOT heat dissipation????? And isn't it also true that even while making air cooled roadcars their race cars had already gone water cooled???
Old 03-19-2008, 01:53 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by galeriehughie
isn't it true that Porsche went to water cooled because of noise suppression and emissions issues and NOT heat dissipation????? And isn't it also true that even while making air cooled roadcars their race cars had already gone water cooled???
It was both. One specific reason was they said they could not make a 4 valve head stay cool enough on an air-cooled car. They felt they needed 4 valves per cylinder to get better power output.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:17 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray S
It was both. One specific reason was they said they could not make a 4 valve head stay cool enough on an air-cooled car. They felt they needed 4 valves per cylinder to get better power output.
I knew I read this somewhere. I just dug out my "Porsche 911 Story" by Paul Frere.

He writes the following;

"There were many reasons for abandoning the air-cooled motors..........

But the most important was that experiments made with air-cooled engines having four valves per cylinder had indicated that adequate cooling of the cylinder heads and valve seats was impossible to achieve. Four valve technology, however, was essential to achieving a high specific power output, while at the same time meeting current and future emission regulations worldwide. Liquid cooling also does away with the large cooling fan, a major source of noise; it also has the advantage of better noise absorption and considerably simplifies the cockpit heating system."

So that is probably the real reason................OR ...............BruceP is right and "It's a conspiracy, perpetrated by the evil coolant industry bent on world domination. The air-cooled engine has been killed, just like the 100 mpg carburetor, by corporate malfeasance."
Old 03-19-2008, 03:36 AM
bernocco930S
Racer

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Another suspension option is factory x73 kit.
Enjoy your new ride.
+1 What he said...... X73

Love mine! It is the way the car should have been delivered. eric
Old 03-19-2008, 12:30 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

I knew I read this somewhere. I just dug out my "Porsche 911 Story" by Paul Frere.

He writes the following;

"There were many reasons for abandoning the air-cooled motors..........

But the most important was that experiments made with air-cooled engines having four valves per cylinder had indicated that adequate cooling of the cylinder heads and valve seats was impossible to achieve. Four valve technology, however, was essential to achieving a high specific power output, while at the same time meeting current and future emission regulations worldwide. Liquid cooling also does away with the large cooling fan, a major source of noise; it also has the advantage of better noise absorption and considerably simplifies the cockpit heating system."

So that is probably the real reason................OR ...............BruceP is right and "It's a conspiracy, perpetrated by the evil coolant industry bent on world domination. The air-cooled engine has been killed, just like the 100 mpg carburetor, by corporate malfeasance."

I like the second theory by BruceP better. Makes much more sense. It gives alot of credit to the air-cooled guys.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:39 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ArneeA
I like the second theory by BruceP better. Makes much more sense. It gives alot of credit to the air-cooled guys.
I just looked up ethylene glycol on Wikipedia. Apparently, it was first prepared by a French chemist. So I guess we have to invade France to stop this madness.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BruceP
I just looked up ethylene glycol on Wikipedia. Apparently, it was first prepared by a French chemist. So I guess we have to invade France to stop this madness.
LOL.......

At least it's a short trip from Iraq. It should also be an easier occupation...

Fire up the tanks.....we're rolling out for coolant.....
Old 03-19-2008, 01:32 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Fire up the tanks.....we're rolling out for coolant.....
Just spat coffee all over these papers I'm marking...
Old 03-19-2008, 01:35 PM
ls911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'm in. First oil now water..although I just want their women and wine
Old 03-19-2008, 02:02 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Blood for Coolant? Tough slogan to pull off
Old 03-19-2008, 06:03 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by BillJ
Blood for Coolant? Tough slogan to pull off
Bush and his cohorts can pull it off... they pulled off the War for WMD thing.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Brucie, ls, Benny, not arguing, I call it stimulating conversation, me and my friends always talk this way. Just stating air/oil cooling could of continued on if Porsche wanted to. The only thing that would of been hard to manage is the noise, but alternating fan blade spacing creates less noise than equal spaced blades. Old tech that worked, look at your SUVs cooling fan........ bye guys, dont want you think I am arguing about this, I am happy I dont have to worry about my water pump failing now for the time being.

Quick Reply: why is the 993 worth so much more than a 996?