Sponsored by:

Help: Need 996 Alignment Settings For Track

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 02:26 PM
all623
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Need 996 Alignment Settings For Track

Any alignment / toe recommendations, given the limitations for setting up a 996, before I buy new tires? I usually drive at Road Atlanta and Barber.

I have an '04 996 C2 with H&R Coilovers (NO Camber Plates) with H&R sway bars. I instruct and drive near/at the limits. Have run street and r-compound and always have the same issue.

The OUTSIDE EDGES of my tires consistently wear to the cords, especially the rears, well before the rest of the tire sees wear. I have experimented with tire pressures, to no avail. Tires cord in 1.5 to 2 DE weekends, with some street driving too. I am tired of trashing tires prematurely. My mechanic did not keep alignment values and thinks my car has Front: -1.5 camber, Rear: -1.2 camber. He is not sure on toe (which could also be contributing to problem). Thanks.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:36 PM
RamVA
Racer

Other than setting the toe to zero and dialing in as much negative camber as possible, there's little you can do with alignment. (You won't get much more than you have now.) You could over-inflate, but you'll lose grip. Otherwise you're stuck with new car, cheaper tires, or camber plates.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:02 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Agreed....Camber is youre enemy over Toe, though excessive toe can wear tires quickly as well but generally you'll see this on the inner edge from straights and street driving. Depending on ride height I"m sure you can get the desired negative camber you want in the rear on the stock arms...it's the front that's more difficult and I've never been a fan or more negative camber in the rear than in the front.

GT3 top mounts aren't THAT expensive and might be worth a go...read the numerous "rotating top mount" threads over in the GT3 section to see what I'm talking about.

Andy
Old 06-11-2007, 03:04 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you're probably maxed out at -1.5 up front. you can dremel out the strut tower mounting holes and get a little more. in back, you should be able to get at least -2.0.

unfortunately, the only way you're going to get this dead on is to bring a pyrometer and some tools to the track. you say you're running R compound tires. what kind? just R compound, or are they slicks? and you do NOT want zero toe in back.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:16 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

on a stock 996 C2 you can only get -1.5 degrees max camber at the front without camber plates..
Old 06-11-2007, 03:21 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MechanicalEng
on a stock 996 C2 you can only get -1.5 degrees max camber at the front without camber plates..
you can hit the camber slots with a dremel tool, allowing about .8 degrees extra. same concept as camber plates, but without the expense or added ride height.

alternatively, you can get some gt3 control arms which allow shimmable length variation.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:24 PM
all623
Instructor

I can live with the front at -1.5. If I can get -2.0 in the rear do you believe that's enough to help wear the tires more evenly? Is it better to have the two values the same (1.5 & 1.5) or is it okay to have 1/2 degree difference?

What should the front and rear toe be set to?

BTW, I ran one set of Michelin Sport cups and got less than 1,500miles including two DEs and they were gone. I only run street tires now (at least until I'm beyond this problem).

I'm selling the car soon, so I would not be interested in investing anything more than the best alignment possible at this time.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:30 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by all623
Any alignment / toe recommendations, given the limitations for setting up a 996, before I buy new tires? I usually drive at Road Atlanta and Barber. Thanks.
If you are not using your car as a dedicated DE machine, then I suggest you just run DE's with stock settings (or close to it). IMO, there is no street benefit to aggressive settings - which is where the majority of drving time is spent in a non-dedicated DE car. Also, you'll waste money on tires in the long run with whacked out settings.

-td
Old 06-11-2007, 03:39 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are going to sell the car and don't want to waste money on suspension parts I would slot the camber slots a little as suggested by insite. I'd shoot for around -2 in front and -1.6 to -1.8 in back. Not optimal but pretty good for what you want. You want a little toe out in front (1 mm) and a little toe in in back (1-2 mm). Obviously you won't want to run it on the street this way for too long. There is no such thing as a good street/track setup.
Jim
Old 06-11-2007, 03:48 PM
all623
Instructor

Originally Posted by JimB
If you are going to sell the car and don't want to waste money on suspension parts I would slot the camber slots a little as suggested by insite. I'd shoot for around -2 in front and -1.6 to -1.8 in back. Not optimal but pretty good for what you want. You want a little toe out in front (1 mm) and a little toe in in back (1-2 mm). Obviously you won't want to run it on the street this way for too long. There is no such thing as a good street/track setup.
Jim

I agree on no good street/track compromise.

I may go for this. I rarely drive high miles in the car on the street so it isn't important as far as handling or wear. I would never come close on the street to wearing the tires in any harmful way- certainly not before they go on the track as they have in the past.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful information.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:31 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

As a reference point. I have my CAB setup factory settings with the RoWM030 and it is a blast to drive on the track. I tried to do the same on my GT3 and hated the settings but realized they were GREAT for the street. My car has now turned into a track ***** that is 95+% track car now and I am finally getting more agressive with an alignment geared for the track b/c my tires were wearing SUPER FAST on the outer 1/3. As Jim point out, a good track setting would be neutral to slight (1mm) toe out) and 1-2mm Toe in at the rear. Camber in rear doesn't need to be more than about -2.0 and if you can get -2.5 up front you would have a really awesome setup. SUcks on the street but a BLAST on the track. Ask yourself, where to you want to have the most enjoyment in the car at the sacrifice of the other??? I chose the track since I have other cars to drive as a DD. If I did not have that luxury and I DE'd less than say 6-8 times a year I would stick with stock settings.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:08 PM
all623
Instructor

Thanks LVDell
Old 06-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pardon my ignorance but what is the sacrifice with track settings on the street? Tramlining? Excessive tire wear (obviously)? Twitchy?
Old 06-11-2007, 05:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

1. Burning through tires a a fast rate
2. Reduced contact patch on the road!

Originally Posted by all623
Thanks LVDell
Very welcome
Old 06-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=LVDell] Reduced contact patch on the road!

Oh but it looks cool

Quick Reply: Help: Need 996 Alignment Settings For Track