996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Battery dead, front hood locked - help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 10:31 PM
George993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the same problem (front hood does not open without battery) and the cigar lighter has not worked. Big thanks to Sids911 - this is the best solution (mine is 2000 996 - the manual release is locked for the hood, not for the engine lid).

Two comments: Allen wrench was 5 mm (not 6 mm) and I had to cut it short to access the 3rd bolt which has access restricted by the driver's seat.

And the best thing is that while there, you can fix the problem PERMANENTLY. The latch lock is connected to the locking solenoid with a thick wire which I have removed.

Problem solved forever, the hood release will never get blocked :-)
Old 02-17-2012, 08:55 PM
turbosjedi
Advanced

Ran into this issue today. Battery completely dead, no way to pop the hood on my 2005 Turbo "S" to get access to battery….so, I noticed the kick plate access cover on the left front side of the passenger compartment had a pic of a battery with a bolt though it, and a picture of the hood…..so I pulled it out, and there is a small picture brochure on the inside of the access cover. In 27 languages it basically tells you to look at the fuse box, pull the red tab out. Connect a positive 12 volt source to this. Connect a negative source to the latch on the door. Power up the external power source (I used a battery charger) and then pull the switch up on the floor of the car and it will unlock.
Attached Images      
Old 02-17-2012, 08:57 PM
turbosjedi
Advanced

That would be the electric release button.
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2012, 09:05 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

This is all in the manual.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:13 PM
turbosjedi
Advanced

What is a manual?
Old 02-18-2012, 02:01 PM
art c.
AutoX

A manual is the thing you can not get for a '99. Sunset will order one for you with the disclaimer that they are on back order, and Porsche will reprint them after enough orders have been placed.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:09 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

forget about the wheel well liner... here is what I did...

pop off the passenger side market light from the bumper... I'm assuming your aftermarket front bumper still has the holes for the side lights in the stock positions... it comes off easy.... have a very bright flashlight handy and straiten out a close hanger and make a small "hook" with it because you'll be using this to reach in through the side marker hole.... before you put the close hanger in get one one knee and flash the light in an angle that allows you to see everything through the hole... what your looking for is a "loop" of braided cable.... you will see the braided cable as it's braided texture will reflect slightly against the bright flashlight... it may take you 5-10 minutes to locate it... once you have located it just feed the fishook of the closehanger you have bent into the hole being careful not to yank on any other electrical wires... hook the braided loop and pull... ! your hood should pop...

the most difficult part here was a) locating the braided loop and b) keeping the light steady while you try to "hook" the loop.... I found it was easy to feed the closehanger in once I actually located the hook... you will have to just feed it in to a depth you think is correct and then use the flashlight and one eye to see how close you are.. this is the difficult part... but locating the hook really helps because you can easily guide it once you are aware of it's location.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:27 AM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem, see this link:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...upid-help.html
Old 03-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Zenski
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys,
my brother is looking at a car for me in LA and the car is running, but they can't get the hood or the trunk open. 1999 Cab

Any thoughts?

Zenski
Old 03-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Did they hear the latch release? If so the adjustable (screw in screw out) rubber pcs on the inside of the hood are screwed in too far to give the hood a chance to pop up? make sense? That happened to me and I used a thin jimmy bar to pry it open. Use a rag on the bumper first. Hope this helps.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sids911
I've read this before - and for the life of me I can't seem to dig up the post. I read several posts telling me to supply power into the fuse box area (this doesn't exist in '99 996's - like mine!).

Anyway,

1) Can I trickle charge from the 12V cigarette lighter port ? I don't know if it's connected back to the battery (or lock/unlock mechanism) even when the car is off. Where can I get a cheap one from Autozone/Kragen/etc? I can't order online since I'd need it this evening ...

2) There was a post on removing the door strip housing the hood release lever and unlocking the hood. Anyone knows how to do it or where that post is? (I can't find it )
OK Syd I looked back and found a couple of postings regarding this problem. Mine is a 99 job and fully mechanical..

here are the posts in no particular order.

When I had the front of the car off cleaning my radiators of leaves and cigarette ends I found the loop end wire hanging down freely. I wondered what it was, pulled on it and saw the front latch move. After I figured it was a release cable for the hood I cut a hole in the air scoop and now mine hangs out of site but easily reachable from inside the left scoop (and it works fine). The cable was out of sight somewhere behind the front bumper which I had removed. I wonder if there is a way to have the REAR engine release cable hanging outside in the wheel well without having to remove a rear lamp cover to gain access to it. ummmm food for thought there

but I found the rear one accidentally while changing a burnt tail light bulb. Its underneath the Left tail light assembly. You'd need to snake a thin wire with a hook between the lens and the body to grab the loop and pull it out. Then, just pull outward towards the left of the car to release the engine cover...
Now...anyone find the front one yet? Is it under the headlight
Two pull cables? I found the front trunk pull cable when I removed the front end of the car to clean my radiators and condensers last week. I also found a worn out Police radar scanner which I slung. I threaded the trunk pull cable through a home made slit on one of the air intakes so now it hangs just out of site but easily reachable should I ever need to use it. When you say two cables, is there one for the engine compartment which I don't know about? If so where as I stand looking in the engine compartment is this second cable? Thanks.

You can unlock your door with your ignition key BTW to gain access to the mechanical leavers. The leaver has nothing electrically connected to it to my knowledge. I can feel the pull of a connecting wire. Now if that wire snaps then the other one comes into play and that is a manual pull as well. If yours has anything electrically connected to it then apart from maybe a night light to show where it is located then it cannot be a 1999 996 C2 Cab. If you have a 99 job then forget all the crap about cig lighters and fuses and electrical connections. Theres only one other poster KIM who is on track here. And this posting of course. OH and a few early posters who clearly state that 99 jobs are all mechanical when getting into the engine and trunk.(frunk).. Later models maybe but not 99s. You might want to search youtube and find where a guy cleans his radiators on a 99 996.. Its a straight forward job then you can re-route your cable, when you find it, via a slit by a stanley knife, into the plastic air scoop next to the temp sensor which you see from outside the front of the car on the PASSENGER side scoop. Killing two birds with one stone.
Hope that helps

Last edited by Hurdigurdiman; 03-11-2012 at 03:26 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:28 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

Dead battery. Battery Tender JR. plugged into the cig lighter. Doors now closed and car locked.

Is the Tender Jr. strong enough to charge the battery? How long will this take?
Old 03-14-2012, 10:03 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 222 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by ryangambrill
Dead battery. Battery Tender JR. plugged into the cig lighter. Doors now closed and car locked.

Is the Tender Jr. strong enough to charge the battery? How long will this take?
Yes it is strong enough. If the batter is nearly dead it could take a couple days to charge. I would think you should see a green flashing light indicating 80% charge before that. If not you may have a bad cell. If so get the battery tested because in that case it may never charge. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zenski
Hi guys,
my brother is looking at a car for me in LA and the car is running, but they can't get the hood or the trunk open. 1999 Cab

Any thoughts?

Zenski
99 cab.. I have one. All mechanical.. key in drivers door. Open the door grab the front release handle on the door sill and pull. If you hear a click you are in the hood department. If not then you go through all that crap fishing around under the wheel well for the alternate cable. Read the other posts. You did say a 99 cab didn't you? If it is then thats the way. No electrically operated release on mine.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by lIRATIl
Im pretty sure it has instructions on how to open the trunk when the battery is dead
what on a 99.... NO WAY. The battery doesnt enter into the equation. Its a mechanical release on a 99 job.

Quick Reply: Battery dead, front hood locked - help!