996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Battery dead, front hood locked - help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 05:08 PM
Sids911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Battery dead, front hood locked - help!

I've read this before - and for the life of me I can't seem to dig up the post. I read several posts telling me to supply power into the fuse box area (this doesn't exist in '99 996's - like mine!).

Anyway,

1) Can I trickle charge from the 12V cigarette lighter port ? I don't know if it's connected back to the battery (or lock/unlock mechanism) even when the car is off. Where can I get a cheap one from Autozone/Kragen/etc? I can't order online since I'd need it this evening ...

2) There was a post on removing the door strip housing the hood release lever and unlocking the hood. Anyone knows how to do it or where that post is? (I can't find it )
Old 05-31-2007, 05:16 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait, I thought on the '99 the hood latch is a mechanical operation and not electrical? Pulling the lever by the driver's sidesill doesn't open the front hood? If you do need power, then yes, you can trickle charge the battery via the cigarette lighter. That's where the battery maintainer is plugged into.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:19 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My '00 has manual hood and trunk pulls. Were electric ones an option in '99?
Old 05-31-2007, 05:20 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2000 is mechanical, if it has electrical, I dont know where.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:20 PM
lIRATIl
Instructor

Im pretty sure it has instructions on how to open the trunk when the battery is dead
Old 05-31-2007, 05:24 PM
Sids911
Instructor

Not exactly. Its an electromechanical lock. Mechanically operated, but electrically LOCKED. I need electricity to unlock the lever itself THEN mechanically use the lever to unlock the hood.

I'm thinking this "Pilot Porta-jump " might do the trick of unlocking the locks.

I'm not sure about jumpstarting the car with this. Wouldn't the high current demanded by the started motor melt the cigarette lighter wires? Or are they saying I should trickle charge for 30 mins THEN start the car?

Originally Posted by lIRATIl
Im pretty sure it has instructions on how to open the trunk when the battery is dead
AAh ... here is the perfect irony. I have a manual for a MY2000 (since I had lost the original, and MY99s manuals were all sold out). The MY2000 talks about the fuse box technique - something my MY99 car doesn't have

Anyway, can anyone with a MY99 manual tell me how its done in that case?

Thanks
Sid
Old 05-31-2007, 05:30 PM
Stefan Richter
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

From page 92 of my manual (for a MY2000)

Note When the battery is discharged, the lever for the front hood can't be unlocked. Using jumper cables, the battery of another car can be used to open the front hood. To connect the cables, refer to "Emergency Starting with Jumper Cables"...

Yeah, I know, what am I doing with the manual in my office?

Stefan
Old 05-31-2007, 05:33 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sids911
Not exactly. Its an electromechanical lock. Mechanically operated, but electrically LOCKED. I need electricity to unlock the lever itself THEN mechanically use the lever to unlock the hood.

I'm thinking this "Pilot Porta-jump " might do the trick of unlocking the locks.

I'm not sure about jumpstarting the car with this. Wouldn't the high current demanded by the started motor melt the cigarette lighter wires? Or are they saying I should trickle charge for 30 mins THEN start the car?

Use the cigarette lighter port to unlock the hood, then remove the center plastic piece by the cowl, connect jumper cables to the battery post and jump from there the engine.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:38 PM
Stefan Richter
Racer

The engine lid should pop regardless of power. Isn't there a positive battery terminal in the engine compartment?

Stefan
Old 05-31-2007, 05:46 PM
NAvyC4S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stefan Richter
The engine lid should pop regardless of power. Isn't there a positive battery terminal in the engine compartment?

Stefan
even if there is on a MY1999, how would you get to it?
Old 05-31-2007, 05:49 PM
Stefan Richter
Racer

The manual only speaks to the front hood needing power. I assume that means the engine lid is accordingly manual, and you can get to it with a dead battery.

Stefan
Old 05-31-2007, 05:52 PM
Sids911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stefan Richter
I'm going to try this in the evening when I get back home. And I don't have my manual in my office . Assuming it opens, where is the terminal post?

Originally Posted by Tippy
Use the cigarette lighter port to unlock the hood, then remove the center plastic piece by the cowl, connect jumper cables to the battery post and jump from there the engine.
This is my best bet for now. I'm going to buy that "porta-jump" (mental note: stop calling it porta-potty) and then unlock the hood, then power the battery.

As a side note, I've been driving my girlfriends BMW 3 series convertible for the last few days, before and after the long weekend. I'd been LONGING to get into my car and met with the dead battery ... can't wait to drive it to work again tomorrow ... need some Porsche therapy !!
Old 05-31-2007, 05:52 PM
Einstein
Instructor

push start your car!
Old 05-31-2007, 05:59 PM
Stefan Richter
Racer

Originally Posted by Sids911
I'm going to try this in the evening when I get back home. And I don't have my manual in my office . Assuming it opens, where is the terminal post?

According to the manual, inside a little black box marked with a +, on the right side above the air cleaner.

Stefan
Old 05-31-2007, 05:59 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Up until MY01 the front and rear lids were cable operated (mechanical). There is however a solenoid for locking purposes that locks the handles so that they can not be raised. That is the "electronic" part that keeps you from opening the mechanical releases.

Just use the emergency release under the right front wheel well liner.

Quick Reply: Battery dead, front hood locked - help!