My brutally honest opinions from a test drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 07:54 PM
mkiv808
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My brutally honest opinions from a test drive

2002 C4S, 33,000 miles

Feels like it has NO power in comparison to my C6, but in the twisties it does feel good.

The steering was very good, if not a little on the light side. I'm sure that could be fixed with some alignment adjustments.

The seats, while seemingly flat-backed (like the Supras or Corvettes) actually held me pretty damn good in the corners.

Didn't get to explore its handling much, as a salesman was with me in the car.

What I didn't like? The sound. Maybe I need to hear one with an exhaust. It wasn't the most charming engine note I've heard. It was also very quiet. I really had to listen to rev match downshifts.

Shifter was a bit long and sloppy, but better than the M3. Would really benefit from a short shifter, I'd imagine. Of course, this is coming from someone with a Callaway short shifter in a C6, which to me is pretty close to perfection.

The interior was nice, although somewhat dated. It seems more solid than the 997 interior though. Materials were good and it was completely rattle free.

Driving position, surprisingly, felt pretty high. from just looking out the windshield, you get the impression you're sitting in an average height car. The steering wheel position and dashboard does give you some sports car feel, however.

The only thing I hated was the clutch. For a car of this little power, this supposedly hydraulic-assisted clutch was VERY heavy. The Vette clutch is feather light in comparison, a huge difference, and I almost pushed the Vette clutch through the floorboard when I got back into it.

Overall, a nice ride. I'm not yet convinced, but overall it was positive.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:57 PM
RyanPerrella
Nordschleife Master

good to hear your opinion, I always appreciate an opinion from someone thats new to Porsche and 911's.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:48 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming from a torque monster like a Corvette, I imagine the 996 would feel gutless in comparison. The 996 comes into it's own above 5000rpms, and I think it sounds great - that's when it starts howling and it sends chills up my spine.

It's certainly a fast car, but a vette has more power. I think you would need to drive one on for a good amount of time with no salesman in the car with you, on a good road, to really appreciate it. The 996 is about the whole package - brakes/steering/handling/acceleration/topspeed/comfort - it does all those things very well, but certain cars will beat it in certain categories.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

has got to be the most off-base review i've ever read about the 996 esp since i've had seat time in both other cars mentioned

to each his own
Old 05-25-2007, 09:02 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ElTorrente
Coming from a torque monster like a Corvette, I imagine the 996 would feel gutless in comparison. The 996 comes into it's own above 5000rpms, and I think it sounds great - that's when it starts howling and it sends chills up my spine.

It's certainly a fast car, but a vette has more power. I think you would need to drive one on for a good amount of time with no salesman in the car with you, on a good road, to really appreciate it. The 996 is about the whole package - brakes/steering/handling/acceleration/topspeed/comfort - it does all those things very well, but certain cars will beat it in certain categories.
Good advice. You might just not be a Porsche guy, but you need to give it a real chance before you decide.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:04 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mkiv808
What I didn't like? The sound. Maybe I need to hear one with an exhaust. It wasn't the most charming engine note I've heard. It was also very quiet. I really had to listen to rev match downshifts.
Nope- you are right. Those flat 6s sound like crap compared to any chevy.

Thanks for sharing your interesting comparison.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I went from a 420hp fox body Saleen Mustang to my 996. The 996 sounded terrible and felt underpowered...mine is a tip. I added mufflers, headers, RSS plenum, and a EVO cold air induction system. It cost less than $3,000.(some parts were used), gave it a true sports car sound (way better than my 331 stroker with a big cam & Flowmasters), and knocked 1.24 seconds off my 0-60 time. I'll never go back.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:18 PM
gcookie
6th Gear

Yea, when you pull up in a parking lot it's a Porsche! Everyone has seen a C what?
Old 05-25-2007, 09:29 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

996 C4S are one of the most beautiful Porsche ever but is a bit heavy. Maybe you need a more aggressive version of the 911 like a turbo or a Gt.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:44 PM
rroobbcc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While not everyone may agree, I am always interested to hear an opinion from someone outside of the P-car scene. I have also been thinking of test driving one of the latest 'vettes. I am not interested in ownership, but am just curious. Here is my $.02 for what it is worth.

Yeah. Legislation more than anything else, especially in Europe (a market far more important for Porsche than it is for the 'vette), has really toned down the stock sound of the 911. You should try one with Porsche Sport Exhaust (aka. PSE). Evryone has there own preferences, but it seems that the rennlist concensus is that PSE is the best sounding.

Shifter was a bit long and sloppy, but better than the M3. Would really benefit from a short shifter, I'd imagine. Of course, this is coming from someone with a Callaway short shifter in a C6, which to me is pretty close to perfection.
A short shift kit is one of the first modifications many 996 owners make. Many consider it the best bang for the buck mod.

Driving position, surprisingly, felt pretty high. from just looking out the windshield, you get the impression you're sitting in an average height car. The steering wheel position and dashboard does give you some sports car feel, however.
The difference between the highest setting and the lowest is pretty extreme in my opinion. Perhaps you didn't have the seat at its lowest setting.

The only thing I hated was the clutch. For a car of this little power, this supposedly hydraulic-assisted clutch was VERY heavy. The Vette clutch is feather light in comparison, a huge difference, and I almost pushed the Vette clutch through the floorboard when I got back into it.
I am not surprised by this. You will never know how the previous owner abused the clutch. I purchased my 992 used with 15K miles on it. At 27K I had a new clutch put in, because I was having other work done anyway and the dealer though it was close to the wear limit. WOW! what a difference. The pedal was extremely light with the new clutch installed. If the previous owner was tough on the clutch, 33K miles may mean it simply needs to be replaced.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:00 PM
s14roller
Racer

Yup you're correct...B&M shifter, Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, and the Fabspeed exhaust all address your comments on my 02.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:05 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i went from an 02 Z06 to an 02 C4S. Previous to that, I also had a 95 & 94 vette.

I agree with most of what you said. No p-car will accerate like a vette (except a turbo) and yes the C4S clutch is very heavy, but you get used to it.

I agree the C4S does need a sport exhaust, that will probably my first mod.

The porsche is more fun to drive, has a better interior and is better built not to mention better looking. They are both great cars, you can't go wrong with either.

In a perfect world I would own both. I am considering picking up a C6 but I will definitely keep the C4S.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:00 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

For the things you're looking for, a C4S might not cut it, unless you mod.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:32 AM
996 Cop
Advanced

Originally Posted by gcookie
Yea, when you pull up in a parking lot it's a Porsche! Everyone has seen a C what?
You got that right. I have had both cars and you attract more attention in a Porsche 996. Most of us did not buy a Porsche for the attention, but it is a nice bonus.
Between the excellant handling, great acceleration (especially the twin turbo) and comfort I think it is all around one of the best sports cars for the money. Yes I have driven Ferarri's, Lambro's and several others which are impressive, but you really would not want to drive them as daily drivers due to reliability and other issues.

There is no substitute!
Old 05-26-2007, 01:06 AM
mkiv808
Advanced

Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
i went from an 02 Z06 to an 02 C4S. Previous to that, I also had a 95 & 94 vette.

I agree with most of what you said. No p-car will accerate like a vette (except a turbo) and yes the C4S clutch is very heavy, but you get used to it.

I agree the C4S does need a sport exhaust, that will probably my first mod.

The porsche is more fun to drive, has a better interior and is better built not to mention better looking. They are both great cars, you can't go wrong with either.

In a perfect world I would own both. I am considering picking up a C6 but I will definitely keep the C4S.
I'd honestly think twice about the C6. While it's a good car and there are a lot of improvements from the C5, they took out the soul and the fun. It somehow feels very antiseptic, for lack of a better word.

Quick Reply: My brutally honest opinions from a test drive