Old 05-24-2007 | 08:28 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Try it again on a hot day, just out of curiosity
Old 05-24-2007 | 08:36 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
Bracket Racing! That's what it's all about, consistantly being at or within 1 to 2 tenths of your dial in ET. LOL!

Being within tenths of a second is a far cry from thousandths of a second.
Old 05-24-2007 | 08:52 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Sorry, but 0 - 60 times are not consistant even at the drag strip. You want to do a quarter mile, you will have more consistancy, but not the short run. And running within 1000's/sec in a quarter mile is extremely rare with any car . If you get it that close consistantly, you are the only one who does.
Wrong, just plain wrong. Drag racing an automatic is dead consistent in a N/A car. Turbo/Supercharged is a whole different animal.

Tenths of a second is huge in drag racing, that is the difference of a decent amount of HP.

Please, I do not want to argue this point, my family has three drag cars currently (I am out) and plenty of friends too. I have been in the game too long to let that statement slide.

I could post slips for days with consistent numbers within thousandths, that is the name of the game in bracket racing.

99Porsche911 - yes, you are right, thousandths is too tight, hundredths is what I meant, sorry just woke up and got them twisted.
Old 05-24-2007 | 08:54 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Harold, consider it done...Thanks!
Arnee...you're pretty funny.

dresler, it's was about 90 when I tried it. I think that's considered hot where you are. My ex is from Maine...I froze my butt off there and in Boston.
Old 05-24-2007 | 09:10 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

So now I have to get one I suppose...... by the way it was 90 today!
Old 05-24-2007 | 11:48 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

dresler, I didn't know it got that warm there....I guess winter was not the best time to go.

For anybody that has not done the installation yet...the 4 bolts holding the throttle body to the plenum will be slightly too long for the new plenum. You will need 4 washers at least and possibly 4 flat & 4 lock washers. I advised RSS. This may only apply to the 99 non-egas models.
Old 05-25-2007 | 12:16 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Well, spent the better part of a couple hours installing the plenum and getting on the phone to Mark asking about this and that....but it's in and although I still have the dyno to do...I really like what I felt in the performance.

For starters, the idle smoothed out almost immediately. I've always had a bit of rough idle and have gone thru the MAF cleaning, throttle body etc...but the plenum install seemed to quiet down the idle. The performance was especially noteworthy between 5 and 7,000 rpms....much more responsive to toe tapping. I guess my initial assessment without the benefit of the dyno would be that I like what I see so far. I'm taking a run to San Francisco tomorrow, so that's going to give me about two hours of freeway time to run through the rpm ranges.

Thanks for taking the time to give me the help on the phone Mark...truly appreciate it. There are a few tricks to installing that plenum that folks need to be aware of...like those little hoses attached to the bottom of the rubber grommets on each side of the plenums....and that damn hose connection that goes to the left side of the plenum....I don't know why they designed that so that you can't really get it to release without damaging it if you're not very careful. Also, you raised the issue that the four 10mm bolts that hold the throttle body up against the plenum are too long for the depth of the thread tap on the new plenum....you guys may have to do like Mark and I did...we used a 1/4 inch stainless washer stacked with a 1/4 locking washer to provide some relief. Mark called RSS and advised them of the issue.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 05-25-2007 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Add information
Old 05-25-2007 | 12:25 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Chuck, you are always welcome. I'm grateful to Rennlist for introducing me to a friend like you. This is a great place!
Old 05-25-2007 | 12:30 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Chuck, I almost forgot.....when we race, I'm gonna smoke you.
Old 05-25-2007 | 03:36 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones

Thanks for taking the time to give me the help on the phone Mark...truly appreciate it. There are a few tricks to installing that plenum that folks need to be aware of...like those little hoses attached to the bottom of the rubber grommets on each side of the plenums....and that damn hose connection that goes to the left side of the plenum....I don't know why they designed that so that you can't really get it to release without damaging it if you're not very careful. Also, you raised the issue that the four 10mm bolts that hold the throttle body up against the plenum are too long for the depth of the thread tap on the new plenum....you guys may have to do like Mark and I did...we used a 1/4 inch stainless washer stacked with a 1/4 locking washer to provide some relief. Mark called RSS and advised them of the issue.
Good tips - what length 10mm bolts are needed to do this right the first time? I will go buy Stainless Steel 10mm bolts for this. I received no installation instructions for my 1999 cable throttled car. Did any 99 owners get a installation manual/sheet?
what is the deal with the hoses attached to the rubber grommets?
Old 05-25-2007 | 03:57 PM
NAvyC4S
Instructor

I just want to calrify something real quickly. It is a plenium, not a plenum. Correct? I'm assuming using the word "plenum" a pun from the first thread?
Old 05-25-2007 | 07:00 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Yoops, the stock bolts are about 1 inch long. They are about 1/4-1/8 inches too long for the new plenum. I think the combination of a flat washer and a lock washer will be about perfect.

Navy, RSS spells it "plenum" on their receipt....it's their part, so I assume that is why everyone is spelling it that way. Additionally, Webster's agrees with them.....Main Entry: pleˇnum
Pronunciation: 'ple-n&m, 'plE-
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin, from Latin, neuter of plenus
1 a : a space or all space every part of which is full of matter b : an air-filled space in a structure; especially : one that receives air from a blower for distribution (as in a ventilation system)
Old 05-25-2007 | 07:07 PM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the additional info! Mybe someone could do a write up and put it on http://www.renntech.org since they tend to be more technical and Loren keeps everything on how to fix and improve. Mine is on the way to Germany so keep the helpful hints coming.
Thanks
Old 05-25-2007 | 07:38 PM
NAvyC4S
Instructor

How bout that. It is indeed a plenum. I had always thought plenIum.

Well you learn something every day.
Old 05-25-2007 | 07:47 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

rountreed, I'll leave that to Chuck Jones, he is buddies with Loren. You are going to love the new part. Unfortunately, it won't compare to your other mode of transportation.
Navy, I had to look it up.

Quick Reply: RSS PLENUM INSTALLED...0-60 TIMES