996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What to expect of a 150K miles 996?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 03:31 AM
911m3
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to expect of a 150K miles 996?

Hi guys,

Is there anything I should watch out for with this kind of mileage?

Should I worry about water pump, shocks/suspension, brakes, electricals, certain bearings, exhaust system, RMS, etc?

TIA
Old 05-18-2007, 04:40 AM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

I would just make sure you change the oil every 5,000 miles or so at the most, and always take it in for full servicing every 10,000miles - at a dealer or proven reputable independant shop. They'll check things like the belt, and check for leaks and such and do a good once over on it.

All wear and tear items obviously will be at or near the end of their service life at 150k - like brakes, clutch, suspension and stuff like that - but I'm sure it must have been replaced already at some point. You hopefully have full service records for the car.

There's no reason it shouldn't be a reliable car. Make sure you actually DRIVE the car, and don't baby it, or you will likely end up with problems. Don't be afraid to hit the redline. You wanna make sure you don't get carbon deposits on your pistons/rings/plugs from lugging it around in high gear and not ever reving it and using it like it was made. Just make sure you keep it serviced properly and don't abuse it, and it should continue to run fine.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:21 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't worry...it made it to 150K....I would drive it as much as possible...mine has 70K and I feel that when I let is sit for a week..it feels a little stiff...but when I drive it everyday.....it feels like (almost) new.

DRIVE IT...ENJOY IT!! And as above..regular oilchanges and keep on checking your rubbers and coolant.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:22 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

by the way I am not the only night stalker I see El Torrente!!
Old 05-18-2007, 07:04 AM
sat40th911
Intermediate

I am awake. The worst thing you can do to a car is let it sit around. At minimum, you should try to put at least 500 miles a month on a car, driving it a few times a week. It is also needs to be driven for stretches of time in excess of 30 minutes, to get the oil at operating temperature. I would not buy a used car that did not have at least 5000 miles per year on it.

Back in the early 90's I had inherited a 79 Buick Rivera with about 20k miles on it. Although the paint, body, and interior was pristine, mechanically it was troubled. At one point the fuel line broke because it had corroded through and the car caught on fire at an intersection. Unfortunately, a nice stranger behind me jumped out of his truck at put the fire out. The car had continuous problems because all of the rubber was brittle. Although I got the car for free (from my step mom), it cost me more to keep on the road than my current porsche. When I could afford to buy my own car, I gave it away.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:53 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sat40th911
I am awake. The worst thing you can do to a car is let it sit around. At minimum, you should try to put at least 500 miles a month on a car, driving it a few times a week. It is also needs to be driven for stretches of time in excess of 30 minutes, to get the oil at operating temperature. I would not buy a used car that did not have at least 5000 miles per year on it.
I really believe this is true. The oil thing is about more than temperature, too. Porsche even says right in the manual that moisture and fuel can build up in the oil enough to actually affect the volume shown on the dipstick. Can you imagine how hard that would be on an engine that only gets fair weather weekend cruises in the city? *shiver*
Old 05-18-2007, 09:04 AM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BruceP
I really believe this is true. The oil thing is about more than temperature, too. Porsche even says right in the manual that moisture and fuel can build up in the oil enough to actually affect the volume shown on the dipstick. Can you imagine how hard that would be on an engine that only gets fair weather weekend cruises in the city? *shiver*
Yup - it's always the garage queens that have the issues. People scared to drive and think they are doing the car a favor by saving the engine, when in fact the opposite is true.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:53 AM
rmillnj
Racer

It is nice to see these kinds of comments about how much more reliable these cars are when you drive them. My '99 C2 just passed 84,000 this morning on the way to work. While there have been the minor things you get in any car, it just seems to run better and better as the miles pile on.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:59 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

I tend to agree - the cars seem to run "better" when driven more... I drive almost everyday, 40 miles, and we always take the 911 on trips (500 miles+). This is my second 996, the first one a 2001 had few issues, ad over 83K miles when i traded it in.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:13 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On a side note, I am having my basement finished, and I will have to drive the 996 to the station and keep it there because the garage and driveway will be used as a storage zone. Will driving for a mile, parking the car, and driving it home, daily, for a month be worse than leaving it in a neighbor's driveway, idle??
Old 05-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Stefan Richter
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

......Will driving for a mile, parking the car, and driving it home, daily, for a month be worse than leaving it in a neighbor's driveway, idle??

Take the long way - better for you and the car.

Stefan
Old 05-18-2007, 10:27 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stefan Richter
......Will driving for a mile, parking the car, and driving it home, daily, for a month be worse than leaving it in a neighbor's driveway, idle??

Take the long way - better for you and the car.

Stefan
There is no long way! And I'm usually in a rush in the AM. Hopefully, if I give it a good half hour run on the parkway once a week, that should be fine, warm weather and all - right?
Old 05-18-2007, 10:53 AM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AndyK
On a side note, I am having my basement finished, and I will have to drive the 996 to the station and keep it there because the garage and driveway will be used as a storage zone. Will driving for a mile, parking the car, and driving it home, daily, for a month be worse than leaving it in a neighbor's driveway, idle??
I think for a month it wouldn't be too bad, but I wouldn't want to only drive it one mile at a time. It's not long enough to get warmed up properly, and you don't want to rev the engine over 3500-4000rpms before the temp gets to close to 180. It's not gonna hurt the engine to do that for a month only, but really keep that stuff in mind about temps. When you drive it longer distances just make sure to stretch its legs.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
There is no long way! And I'm usually in a rush in the AM. Hopefully, if I give it a good half hour run on the parkway once a week, that should be fine, warm weather and all - right?
Yes, that run on the parkway will help, but you're still going to have to make sure you change your oil more often than the next guy. Water will accumulate faster in your engine than in most engines.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:34 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911m3
Hi guys,

Is there anything I should watch out for with this kind of mileage?

Should I worry about water pump, shocks/suspension, brakes, electricals, certain bearings, exhaust system, RMS, etc?

TIA
Well now...

Clutch if it's still original!

Coolant tank if it's not been replaced - they crack over time and slow leak
Coolant tank cap - should have a part number that ends in 01 (recall on old 00 caps)

Water pump leaking/failure

Creaking suspension/balljoints

Oil leaking around the plug tubes

Rear Main Seal leaking...

Dirty MAF leading to possible CEL

Quick Reply: What to expect of a 150K miles 996?