reprogram auto locking scheme

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 02:00 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default reprogram auto locking scheme

2002 Carrera

I don't want my doors to lock automatically when I turn the ignition on or when I drive away, and I sure as he77 don't want to have to pull the door handle twice to open it.

The manual says this can be re programed by an authorized dealership, but is there a DIY procedure?

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2007, 02:24 AM
AsianImage
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You cannot DIY...have to have the dealer turn the feature off.

My car did NOT have it..and I had it turned on. I liked the doors to lock when I drove away. They auto lock at around 15mph. You have to double click because the doors are locked. If you unlocked them using the button you wouldnt have to double click them.

I think the double click is pretty standard...in my old BMW E39 when the doors were locked, you had to double click to open as well.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:34 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, you need a PST2 or PIWIS to program the door locks.
Your options are:

Version 1 - The doors are automatically locked as soon as the ignition is switched on.
Version 2 - The doors are automatically locked if the vehicle exceeds a limit speed of 5 km/h.
Version 3 - The doors are automatically locked as soon as the ignition is switched on. If the doors are opened while the engine is running, automatic re-locking takes place if the vehicle exceeds a limit speed of 5 km/h.
Version 4 - The doors are not locked automatically.

Note: Automatically locked doors can be opened by pressing the central locking button (central locking switch) or by pulling on the door handle twice.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:16 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I love this feature and actually had it turned on...my car did not have it activated as the default.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:23 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nycebo
I love this feature and actually had it turned on...my car did not have it activated as the default.
It must be a location thing. I have to assume you are afraid someone will open the door and *jack* you while stopped at a light? In Vancouver here that doesn't happen, yet anyway.

I don't understand why you would want or need your doors locked while you are driving the car otherwise. You can't be afraid you will accidentally open the car door and fall out will you.

I'm version 4 baby...FTW as they say over on the Subaru board (I had to look it up. It means "For The Win")

Old 04-19-2007, 10:59 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

If you have a cab try the RemoteTop. It allows you to program the auto lock function without a PST2. It costs about $300, so it is more expensive than having the stealer reprogram it but you also get alot of other functions.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:07 PM
viper501
Instructor

Cars have more structural integrity in a crash when the doors are locked. Also, uninvited guests are a hazard anywhere, even bucolic Canada.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:20 PM
GoodSpeed Sweden
Instructor

Does anyone know if this automatic door locking option can be activated in a MY 2000?
Old 04-20-2007, 01:13 AM
AsianImage
Racer

to answer GODSPEED...yes it can. I had it turned on and I have an 01

and maybe it is different in Canada...I guess living in LA...takes it toll. I just feel safer knowing my doors are locked. Go figure..
Old 04-20-2007, 08:38 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Right on AI, it only takes one time to regret not having the doors locked. By the way, from what I recall, and I'll check this tonight, I think the doors automatically unlock when I turn off the car so you don't need to double pull the door handle. Mind you, I really am not bothered by the double pull anyway, and it would protect against errant children playing with everything in the car and accidentally cracking the door. (Not that I have any children, so who knows if this would even happen...but for the sake of discussion, let's say 'errant female companions'...indeed, the very same ones that slam the car door by using the window....UGH!)
Old 04-20-2007, 08:44 AM
wrljet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing I don't like about the double-open thing is the stupid window jumps down twice.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:12 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wrljet
Another thing I don't like about the double-open thing is the stupid window jumps down twice.
Well, yeah - that's what got me going in the first place, all that noise and commotion - I'm just trying to open the dorr for gosh sakes! If they unlocked when I turned the car off it wouldn't be a big deal. But they don't. Not in my setup anyway.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:14 PM
AsianImage
Racer

yeah that was my gripe too..that the doors DID NOT UNLOCK when the ignititon was turned off..

but hey you get used to it...so when I have a passenger I just push the central lock or tell them to double click it before they break my handle.

Quick Reply: reprogram auto locking scheme