996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Porsche N-Spec Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:19 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Simply stated - N rated tires are not the 'be all and end all' of tires.

They simply meet a number of certification parameters for Porsche.

Better tires are available, it's purely up to the driver to decide what works best for them.

What's awesome for one, is unacceptable for another - ask 100 996 owners, get 100 answers.

It does make me laugh when the service tech at the dealership gives me that disapproving look for using non N rated tires, like I'm a bad boy who's cheated at school.

What would happen if he knew that I didn't use Porsche approved window cleaning solution in my wash bottle...
Old 05-09-2007, 02:25 AM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I cant attest on my 996, but on my M3 Cabrio I went from a set of Michelin Pilot Sports to Toyo T1Rs and preferred them. The T1R is not available in an "N-spec" rating where as the Pilots are... for 1/2 the price, I'd definate put a set of T1Rs on.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:38 AM
Duane993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the big tire retailers don't charge much more for a N Spec tire than a non N Spec tire in the same size and model. However the N Spec tires are not only internally different but externally different such as tread pattern and overall dimensions. I had some minor rubbing with a non N spec tire which went away when I went to a N Spec tire by the same manufacturer in the same model and size. N Spec tires are different but not neccesarily better. I won't lose sleep over a non N spec tire with the appropriate rating and size.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
still not buying it

i've run non n1 s-03s and ps2s and reo50A pole positions on other super handling cars like the s2000 and m3 and they felt just fine.
Did you ever think that a Porsche's engine is in the back, the others in the front. You are comparing apples to oranges.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by newport996
Under hard driving, I feel my sidewalls flexing on my non N spec tires....my next set will be N Spec....for not alot of extra $$$ you get the stiffer sidewall....
Correct, anyone who does not believe this, look up the specs between the two tires of the same brand, one N, the other non-N. For instance, the Conti's I had, had a 200-300lb. load rating difference in the same size tire, that points to a stiffer sidewall.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
Did you ever think that a Porsche's engine is in the back, the others in the front. You are comparing apples to oranges.
yea so i guess you could say the Nspec tries to make up for some of the 911's inherent flaws wahahhaahah
Old 05-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

some of you guys are seriously drinking that 911 koolaid.

i'm still left wondering if it's ok to run n-spec with a non-nspec, and given the answers so far, i'm beginning to think it's all marketing and that it's ok to run a non Nspec tire with an Nspec.

look i'll run nspec if it were available, but it's not in the size i need for the rears. so since i'm running a non porsche tire since they're steamroller wide, somehow i'm putting myself at risk because i'm running more tire on the road? i'm not taking full advantage of the magical voodoo 911 handling because it's non nspec?

it's just too bad michelin's lack of qc led me to this question in the first place. it's a complete joke to have a tire that has so much hop it can't be balanced right and at $300 no less. this is for both the front and rear tire .
Old 05-09-2007, 03:42 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
Apart from the Boxster of course, and the Cayenne, and the Cayman, and the new Panamera....

They all still get N spec tires - for what reason exactly?
Old 05-09-2007, 03:45 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I can't believe the cynicism here sometimes. Geez...

It's really this simple: Tires are a suspension component. Every car manufacturer calibrates their springs and dampers for a reference tire, usually what comes on the car from the factory. After that, they don't give a hoot what you do. N-spec is basically Porsche's way of saying that if you buy one of these tires, you're getting what the engineer intended out of your suspension. Whether or not tire companies pay is irrelevant. This also does not mean that non-n-spec tires are worse in any way or better in any way. It's like buying speakers for your stereo... if you step outside the reference specs, you're on your own. You might end up with worse performance, or different performance (which could be better or worse for you), or even better performance.

Grasp the fact that tires are part of the suspension equation, and consider the ego the Porsche brand has wrapped up in handling, and the n-spec thing isn't so crazy. Yeah, it's marketing. But not all marketing is bad.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

i run the pss9s and roll on 19x12 wheels (porsche tuning bye bye) and diff sway bars so i guess i know which direction i will head toward now

i also listen to gangsta rap straight outta compton

nspec what?
Old 05-09-2007, 06:23 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

You should still consider N specs.....why? The 996 is a VERY different car than 99% of all the cars out there...the added weight over the rear wheels alone is reason to go with the N spec because of the stiffer sidewall.....like I said, I wasnt convinced, until I seriously looked at the handling of my car and while it is amaazing, I feel the flexing sidewalls. I would bet a car with less weight over the rear wheels wouldnt feel it...If you are just gonna drive it to and from work, then it wont matter, but if you are gonna do some serious canyon runs, I would consider them.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:43 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So...is it okay to use N-spec tires with 15-50W oil...?

what about Non-N-spec tires with 0-40W oil?
Old 05-09-2007, 08:03 PM
jamie645
Advanced

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S

I think that's correct. When your engine explodes at speed you will need that added sidewall stiffness to avoid complete loss of control
Old 05-09-2007, 08:28 PM
jamie645
Advanced

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S

I think that's correct. When your engine explodes at speed you will need that added sidewall stiffness to avoid complete loss of control
Old 05-09-2007, 09:18 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

0-40W oil? Thats a good trick. I had no idea rheology had advanced to that level.

Quick Reply: Porsche N-Spec Tires