Sponsored by:

Porsche N-Spec Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Apart from the Boxster of course, and the Cayenne, and the Cayman, and the new Panamera....

They all still get N spec tires - for what reason exactly?
I dont know for sure but possibly to meet their requirements for handling. There is no doubt that N spec Continentals have stiffer sidewalls than non-N Continentals, dont know for the rest.

Case closed in my book.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by newport996
You should still consider N specs.....why? The 996 is a VERY different car than 99% of all the cars out there...the added weight over the rear wheels alone is reason to go with the N spec because of the stiffer sidewall.....like I said, I wasnt convinced, until I seriously looked at the handling of my car and while it is amaazing, I feel the flexing sidewalls. I would bet a car with less weight over the rear wheels wouldnt feel it...If you are just gonna drive it to and from work, then it wont matter, but if you are gonna do some serious canyon runs, I would consider them.
I can't run NSpecs in the rear even if I wanted to since they're 19x12, 315/25s.

I will be running the more typical 235/35/19s in the front, but they will be NSpecs because the non-Nspecs are backordered until June - otherwise i'd run all nonNspec PS2s.

your reasoning to go with "stiffer sidewall" due to the added weight in the rear is elementary school bud. what data do you have to even begin to prove your claims (other than your hiney) that the Nspecs are stiffer than the non Nspecs?

You can't in my case because again there is no 315 in Nspec. even if i were running 305s, i'd still be curious as to how you came to that conclusion that the Nspecs are stiffer and "better"

the 911 handling isn't a glass house. heck you and i both run aftermarket suspensions so that whole holy grail from the factory tuning is completely bogus and thrown out the door in our case.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by Tippy
I dont know for sure but possibly to meet their requirements for handling. There is no doubt that N spec Continentals have stiffer sidewalls than non-N Continentals, dont know for the rest.

Case closed in my book.
And there is no doubt the Contis absolutely suck compared to PS2s Nspec or nonNspec next
Old 05-11-2007, 03:06 PM
jamie645
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
And there is no doubt the Contis absolutely suck compared to PS2s Nspec or nonNspec next
The contisport 2 is a much improved tire over gen. 1
Old 05-11-2007, 03:46 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Conti Sportcontact 2 and have no complaints so far.
I've read much negativity on them, but can't see why.
I don't track the car, but I drive it hard ocassionally.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

here's your daily dose of candor for ya fellas: one man's trash is another man's treasure
Old 05-12-2007, 11:18 PM
bzalforno
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bridgestone 050's??

On my 964 i went with SO2A's N spec on street and track. Fabulous, but really short lived.

now, bridedgestone is selling the new 050, which is not N spec, but is supposedly the future of the Pole Position group.

i drove a 2003 C4S on the street, no track, with new 050's and they were great.

soooo, my theory is, that if you are not pushing the cars to it's limits, for reasonable street, i might go for the 050's for the 996 that i just bought.

of course, the PS2 is the reference standard, but i would like to hear some feedback from any 050 users.
thanks
bob
Old 05-14-2007, 12:17 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lowside67
I cant attest on my 996, but on my M3 Cabrio I went from a set of Michelin Pilot Sports to Toyo T1Rs and preferred them. The T1R is not available in an "N-spec" rating where as the Pilots are... for 1/2 the price, I'd definate put a set of T1Rs on.

Are you talking about the Michelin Pilot Sport version 1 or the "PS2" ?? M3 cabrio is a pretty heavy car... how was the steering response on these...
Old 05-14-2007, 12:11 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by bzalforno
On my 964 i went with SO2A's N spec on street and track. Fabulous, but really short lived.

now, bridedgestone is selling the new 050, which is not N spec, but is supposedly the future of the Pole Position group.

i drove a 2003 C4S on the street, no track, with new 050's and they were great.

soooo, my theory is, that if you are not pushing the cars to it's limits, for reasonable street, i might go for the 050's for the 996 that i just bought.

of course, the PS2 is the reference standard, but i would like to hear some feedback from any 050 users.
thanks
bob
It's all marketing here. The RE050A Pole Positions are fantastic tires that are an equal match for the more expensive PS2s. In fact, they have better manufacturing tolerances than the PS2s by my experience. From a shallow level, I have more faith in QC on products Made in Japan v. Made in France.

I just wish Bridgestone made them available in 315/25/19s which they don't so I'm running the PS2 versions which do not come in NSpec anyways since no Porsche runs tires as wide as the 315s on the 911.

Given my recent experience with PS2s, I am now an even bigger fan of the Pole Positions. Two of the new PS2s I got had hop with the front being so bad, it wouldn't balance.

Right now, I'm running N1 spec fronts in 235. It's fine to mix NSpec with non-NSpec especially for those of you running steamrollers in the back that don't come in NSpec.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:21 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys ARE aware of what the "N" label stands for, aren't you. Porsche orginally labeled the tires NAIVE and the tire manufaturers could not fit the entire word on the sidewall where it looked good so it was shortened to just "N". There were so many suckers falling for their recommnedation that they had to begin relabeling them N1, N2, N3, etc.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's fine to mix NSpec with non-NSpec especially for those of you running steamrollers in the back that don't come in NSpec.

you sure about that?
Old 05-14-2007, 12:22 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

It's all marketing here. The RE050A Pole Positions are fantastic tires that are an equal match for the more expensive PS2s. In fact, they have better manufacturing tolerances than the PS2s by my experience. From a shallow level, I have more faith in QC on products Made in Japan v. Made in France.

I just wish Bridgestone made them available in 315/25/19s which they don't so I'm running the PS2 versions which do not come in NSpec anyways since no Porsche runs tires as wide as the 315s on the 911.

Given my recent experience with PS2s, I am now an even bigger fan of the Pole Positions. Two of the new PS2s I got had hop with the front being so bad, it wouldn't balance.

Right now, I'm running N1 spec fronts in 235. It's fine to mix NSpec with non-NSpec especially for those of you running steamrollers in the back that don't come in NSpec.

Missing the point....its not at all marketing....since when did Porsche use ity for marketing? How? They have simply put high tolerances and specifications on tires. They make you make them in a number of Porsche only sizes, and then they have to pass certification. There are great tires that are not certified for one reason or another, but if they make the tire in a N spec and non N spec, there is a difference abd sidewall stiffness is on of the main differences. For Porsche's thats a key issue. If you dont push your car at all you will never know....if you track or run canyons, you will notice the sidewall flex.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:25 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

I'm talking about BS RE050A v. PS2s, bud. PS2s are certainly the most popular tire for the Porsche 911 brand, but I'd be more than cool with running RE050A PPs for the street on my 911 even if they don't come "approved".

I push my car, whatever that means. Sidewall flex? Bro, you ain't even running Porsche factory wheels, suspension. All that magical factory Porsche voodoo is thrown out the window for you and I and others. The last hair you should be splitting is sidewall flex wahahaha and i'd love for you to even begin to try and show us some numbers validating your **** assessment
Old 05-14-2007, 12:44 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

I'm talking about BS RE050A v. PS2s, bud. PS2s are certainly the most popular tire for the Porsche 911 brand, but I'd be more than cool with running RE050A PPs for the street on my 911 even if they don't come "approved".

I push my car, whatever that means. Sidewall flex? Bro, you ain't even running Porsche factory wheels, suspension. All that magical factory Porsche voodoo is thrown out the window for you and I and others. The last hair you should be splitting is sidewall flex wahahaha and i'd love for you to even begin to try and show us some numbers validating your **** assessment

Actually they are Porsche wheels, and the suspension? Not much different than the GT3 coilovers actually, and because of it the flex if felt more....sorry, but I do feel it on my non N spec tires....Like I said in an earlier thread, there are probably alot of NON approved tires that will work just as good as approved tires because they may not make thin in enough sizes for Porsche....I also said there is a difference in the SAME tire..ie...Conti Sport 2 N's and Conti Sport 2's non N's....there will be a difference you can feel. REGARDLESS of suspension and wheels....Just because there are coilovers involved doesnt mean that tire specs are thrown out the window. I dont need numbers to verify what I feel....so I am just offering MY experience....if you have had N's and non N's back to back, then tell us your experiences...I look forward to it....
Old 05-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

We can agree to disagree since I'm not big on splitting hairs.

I believe you, though, when you say you can tell the diff in flex between Conti N Spec and non-N Spec, but Contis overall suck anyways so would never ever recommend these tires to anyone. I'd rather run Toyo T1Rs and save some money at the same time.

I haven't pushed the PS2 235 N1s in the front yet as they are still breaking in, but that is not to say I haven't taken some turns aggressively to get a feel for the setup. I can tell you that it's going to make 0 diff in driving experience N1 or non N1 235s and then that matched with non N1 315s in the back. I feel no diff in sidewall flex whatsoever.

I am supremely disappointed at the hop issues with the PS2s... so much for robotic manufacturing processes.

Bottomline, the drive remains a kick **** experience.

Quick Reply: Porsche N-Spec Tires