996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

HOW STRONG IS THE C4 DRIVETRAIN??

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 10:49 PM
nitrorocket
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW STRONG IS THE C4 DRIVETRAIN??

I am curious to know iwho has broken a c4 drivetrain and how. Will they handle redline launches? Will they handle drasticall increased power?

Anyone know the limits??
Old 03-03-2007, 10:58 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The TTs driveline seems to handle huge power (I believe it is the same as a C4 but I could be wrong), jump on that froum and search driveline mods. There is plenty of 10second TTs on there drag racing the snot out of their cars.

Plenty of people are going to tell you that a Porsche was not designed for that, just giving you a heads up.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:27 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the driveline will handle it, the clutch will not...you will probably burn out clutches with just a few redline launches. Again, if you wanna do that, its the wrong car to do it in.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:33 PM
nitrorocket
Instructor

I am trying to decide on a 996 to look for. Obviously the car will handle well, but I gotta at least get 11's out of it at the drags or I will get embarressed off every stop light around here.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:39 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Wrong car.....The weak link in the 996 and almost all Porsche's is the off the light performance....but despite that you will get 0-60 times in the hogh 4's and low 5's....but a drag car this is not....get an M3. You will be better off if you are looking for a stoplight racer.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:53 PM
nitrorocket
Instructor

Why is the weak link off the line performance?? Does it just need more power??
Old 03-04-2007, 12:06 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Its designed that way....Its designed to be a great car where they want it to be, and stoplight to stoplight isnt what a Porsche is about. I wonder how many of those off the line cars will do 175+ mph? Or handle the canyons as well....if you want off the line fast, get a vette or something...it has PLENTY of HP...and more of it would not be a big help.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:39 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrorocket
I am curious to know iwho has broken a c4 drivetrain and how. Will they handle redline launches? Will they handle drasticall increased power?

Anyone know the limits??

supercharge it and get some drag radials .
I have seen people break axles but not very often (and always on street tires, wheel hop is a killer) the drive train will hold it, get a performance clutch
youll be ok, Thing may break, any car running 11s has the potential for massive breakage
Old 03-04-2007, 03:43 AM
Tippy
Race Car

I am trying to decide on a 996 to look for. Obviously the car will handle well, but I gotta at least get 11's out of it at the drags or I will get embarressed off every stop light around here.
I am not saying it again, get a TURBO if you want to hop it up or you will be disappointed!
Old 03-04-2007, 08:29 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by newport996
Yes, the driveline will handle it, the clutch will not...you will probably burn out clutches with just a few redline launches. Again, if you wanna do that, its the wrong car to do it in.
On an AWD car the weak link will be the clutch on a high RPM launch since the tires won't slip unless they are worn. For that reason I'd rarely if ever attempt a high RPM launch on any AWD car.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:52 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Hey Nitro, if it is a drag racer you want, there is a guy selling his 800+ HP Chevelle on this Forum....... oh wait...... that's your car! Never mind!

As others have said, you may be looking at the wrong car it all you want is off the light 1/4 mile speed.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:08 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Nitro, why do yo want a Porsche anyway?

Maybe I understand. My tastes are all over the place as by choice, my daily driver is a lifted '99 Cherokee. Simple, light, bomber. My wife drives a Lexus Hybrid SUV and a Boxster which she perfers over my 996 Cab. I've always had a Harley and a GSXR, or Honda something since the '70s.

Your project could cost more than a Trophy Home. If you are serious, start with a GT2, or if you can do without AWD a GT3. Hey, maybe you could find a retired GT2 racer and make it street legal.

My best advice is to buy an inexpensive high miler '99 996 for around $30k or less and get your feet wet in the Porsche world. Your future plans could drastically change.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
supercharge it and get some drag radials .
I have seen people break axles but not very often (and always on street tires, wheel hop is a killer) the drive train will hold it, get a performance clutch
youll be ok, Thing may break, any car running 11s has the potential for massive breakage
I agree with firehawk. With enough power you can easily get into the 11's. The rear engine configuration is actually an advantage in a drag race.

However, beware of wheel hop and the stock clutch.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:34 PM
Tippy
Race Car

After you supercharge, you are dead in the water with making more substantial gains, that is why I say go TT.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:45 PM
nitrorocket
Instructor

I actually already have a set of twin turbos for the car. I just need a car now!!

I don't want a drag car, My Chevelle is not a drag car, but anything I own better be DAMN fast or why drive it. Those who have put the pedal to the medal with 1000 hp know what I am talking about. It is over the top, unusable crazy, insane, adrenaline pumping craziness!! But I LOVE it.

I want the porsche for something different. I have spent alot of time to make the Chevelle handle like a good track car, I figure if I started with a porsche I would be able to take the handling even farther. Realistically, if I do not get what I want from my chevelle money wise, I will just keep it. It is pretty fun having the capability to spin the 12" GSCS racing tires at 140+ mph if I want to!!

Plan is to find most likely an early model C2 or C4, bring it home and yank the motor. From there I am going to swap out the rods and pistons and mount some turbos on it, For 5-6 grand or so I will have a bullet proof twin turbo setup. I realize I will never have the performance and power of my Chevelle, but I would still be happy with 500+ RWHP on the Porsche.

To be honest my biggest fear with the Porsche is I will be dissapointed. I have not driven one yet, But from what I hear, they handle better then anything. Are there any cars in the league that handle better??

I am just getting bored...

We'll see, I am still researching.

Quick Reply: HOW STRONG IS THE C4 DRIVETRAIN??