996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Help...Groceries stuck in trunk!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help...Groceries stuck in trunk!!

OK guys, here's the story. I have a 99 996...went to buy all the goodies for Super Bowl and stuck the perishables in the front trunk...When I got home, I went to pull the mechanical release lever and it broke off at the front. I know it broke off because I took off the driver's side wheel and got hold of the cable and was going to pull on it to release the latch....and the cable just came out...

So I've got groceries in there and don't know what the hell to do because the cable is busted. I know there's another cable release, and I tried to find it by taking out the sidelight on the passenger's side, but couldn't see any sort of braided steel cable in the opening.

I need some help fast...I parked the car outside last nite so the cold would help keep the milk and meat from spoiling...but I've gotta get in there fast. Can I get the headlight out without accessing it from inside the hood? If I take off the passenger's side wheel, can I find the emergency release in the wheel well? I tried calling the local Porsche place and they kept giving me instructions for the electronic release....I kept telling them I had the mechanical release but they had me turning the key in the lock on and off etc. Obviously that didn't hellp at all.

I already broke the emergency release to the gas cover thinking the black ring in the passenger's door frame was for the hood release....DONT PULL on that ring too hard....the plastic pin that locks the gas compartment will break off...and that gives me another something to fix!! This is going to put a damper on the Super Bowl plans I had for goodies!!

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated......Chuck
Old 02-04-2007, 02:21 PM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try Loren at Renntech.org that would probably be your best bet. Good Luck!
Old 02-04-2007, 02:36 PM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Sorry tried to do a search on renntech for you but from my computer here in Italy it will not connect.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Tell me where your car will be parked while you are watching the game.

And please leave the alarm off....
Old 02-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

"....Tell me where your car will be parked while you are watching the game."

And please leave the alarm off....

It will be parked right in front of the house...and you can have all the goodies in the trunk if you just get it open. I'm not sure you'll want the milk or the mayo dips...but the meat should still be ok....and yes, I'll turn off the alarm.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:28 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Is there a lever in the bumper somewhere? I'd take the time and not worry about the grocery spoiling. You don't want to break other stuff.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I am taking my time...the groceries are now secondary to making sure I can do this right and not break something else. There is no lever in the bumper...I've looked all over there...theres supposed to be a braided cable somewhere on the passenger's side. Obviously Porsche doesn't want to put it in the owner's manual because all the crooks would know how to open the hood.

If this is an issue, I would appreciate it if someone would PM me with the info........Chuck
Old 02-04-2007, 04:12 PM
donuts
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a cable that runs behind/to the outside of the passenger headlight. Because you won't be able to get the headlight out, you are supposed to be able to get access through the front of the passenger side wheel liner. I've never tried it and I've only seen it behind the headlight. I would suggest taking the wheel off and pulling the liner to the front of the wheel off and looking for a fairly thin steel wire, when I saw mine it didn't look braided to me, just like a regular metal wire. I hope this helps,
Old 02-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Thanks donuts...I was waiting for directions like this...I'm going out and will take off the passenger's wheel now.....
Old 02-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Never mind. Don't like mayonnaise.

Follow the link to your question on renntech and you will see pictures of the cable.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:02 PM
eurotrashed
Instructor

This is a Superbowl Emergency. I have seen the rear cable for the engine cover, but I swear I have never seen my front cable either.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:38 PM
AsianImage
Racer

reading this only makes me glad that my installer that did my air horns...when we had the bumper cover off, the steel wire was righ there...he made an "extension" using regular ol insulated wire and we just tucked it under the thermostat. I have peace of mind that the wire is pretty easily acessible if you know to look for it.

I hope you get it open. Bummer on a Sunday.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:57 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Updates? Did the stuff make it for the SuperBowl party?
Old 02-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Chuck, check the post (about 40 ago) that is titled "what's the purpose of the cable under the...." it should prove to be helpful. Good Luck!
Old 02-04-2007, 09:01 PM
eurotrashed
Instructor

A very decent football game we have today, boys. I'm guessing the mayonaise is expired by now though. Ah, who needs mayo anyways? Beer, pretzels, football... mmm.

Quick Reply: Help...Groceries stuck in trunk!!