Sponsored by:

Some new Christmas gift mods done

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 06:34 PM
carbonfiber
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some new Christmas gift mods done

Just wanted to share some pics of my great Christmas gifts. My wife got me new personalized logo floormats and the spoiler indicator. I also got a new key chain from a friend. The key chain and floor mats are self explanitory. Oh yeah the floor mats are Lloyd mats and my wife had them make a small removeable one for under my heels as that is the area to get the brunt of abuse. The spoiler indicator kit is the one seen on E-bay. It is a small LED light to let you know when the rear spoiler is in the fully raised position as you can not see the spoiler from in the car. Install was fairly easy. The wires for the indicator tap into the plugs behind the speedo cluster. I only had issue with the way the instructions tell you what wires go where. They mention colored wires in the harness to the instrument plugs but instead they should tell you plug terminal numbers. Luckily I have factory wiring diagrams so I was able to figure out the positions. Just in case someone else wants to do the mod, the correct wire placement is as follows:

Green wires from indicator goes to terminals #25 and #12 of the Blue connector
Yellow wire from indicator goes to terminal #1 of the Black connector
White wire from indicator goes to terminal #8 of the Black connector
Brown wire from indicator goes to terminal #9 of the White connector

Now these instructions apply to 996 and 986 up to the 2002 models at which time they changed connector colors and they may have changed pin locations also. I am not sure and do not have wiring diagrams for those models. The instructions do list color codes of wires for all models, but I found them confusing as I had a couple of duplicate colors per connectors. So if doing this mod on 2002 and newer some research or double checking may be needed.

Other than this issue the rest of the mod and instructions were very straight forward.
My next mods will be installing my PSE fully and adding a rear spoiler dash control to compliment this current mod.
Note: I was able to mount this switch on the right side which makes the LED easy to see, if you have no room on the right side it may be dificult to see on the left side.
Attached Images     
Old 12-31-2006, 06:39 PM
carbonfiber
Advanced

Oh I forgot the indicator light flashes as the spoiler is in motion, either when it is raising or when it is lowering. When the spoiler gets all the way down the LED stops flashing and is out completely. When the spoiler starts to raise it starts flashing again and the LED lights solid when the spoiler is fully extended.
Forgot to mention this but it is pretty cool and works every time either manually or automatically.

JIM
Old 12-31-2006, 06:54 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carbonfiber
Oh I forgot the indicator light flashes as the spoiler is in motion, either when it is raising or when it is lowering. When the spoiler gets all the way down the LED stops flashing and is out completely. When the spoiler starts to raise it starts flashing again and the LED lights solid when the spoiler is fully extended.
Forgot to mention this but it is pretty cool and works every time either manually or automatically.

JIM
neat little feature but what does it give to know when the spoiler is up, down or in motion??

Don't get me wrong, I'm just asking!!
Old 12-31-2006, 07:03 PM
carbonfiber
Advanced

CWay27
When the spoiler is up the LED is illuminated red. When the spoiler is down the LED is not illuminated. When the spoiler is in motion the LED flashes red.
Hope that clears it up.
JIM
Old 12-31-2006, 11:42 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Jim, I think what CWay27 is asking is WHY you'd need to know the movements of the rear spoiler.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:14 AM
grant911
Pro

My guess is that when he uses it manually, he doesn't leave it partially up driving down the road. That would look a little ridiculous. Am I right?? It seems like a good idea, and something for the kids to watch from the back. LOL...
Old 01-01-2007, 10:43 AM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

I'm with grant911. Fun for the kids to watch.

Also, carbonfiber, I totally get it. I'm never confident the whether the thing's up or down.

How much are they?

CP
Old 01-01-2007, 11:58 AM
996CABOVA
Instructor

This might be a stupid question. I have a 03 Carrera C2 Cab. Can I put the spoiler up manually. I dont have a button for it but see post of ppl parked with the spoiler up. Just figured Id ask.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:32 PM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

In the '99, the button is on the left side of the driver's footwell. It's kind of subtle.
I don't know about the later 996's, but you should look there. The manual must cover it?
CP
Old 01-01-2007, 12:53 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

yeah left side driver's footwell. I only open it manually to clean it.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:25 PM
dyazdani
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carpundit
How much are they?
The one I saw on eBay was about $35 USD, this particular one was from Germany and the auction said $9 USD for shipping.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:59 PM
996CABOVA
Instructor

Haha i just went to check my car and i found the switch. I never even knew it was there and would have never found it. I like it with just the car parked and the wing up. I wouldnt prob use it around the street. Thanks guys
Old 01-01-2007, 03:03 PM
carbonfiber
Advanced

http://cgi.ebay.com/spoiler-control-...QQcmdZViewItem

Here is the current one on E-Bay. I wanted it to know the function as I cannot see it in the back of the car and it also fills one of the blanks in the dash.
JIM
Old 01-01-2007, 11:42 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

where do i sign up for mats....?
Old 01-02-2007, 10:33 AM
carbonfiber
Advanced

My wife said she ordered through Griot's Garage. But I know Lloyd's mats are available lots of places. Great quality and fit, every bit as good as my factory mats.
JIM

Quick Reply: Some new Christmas gift mods done